You ARE Cthulhu- Headcanon/fan theory [X-posted from Reddit]

Captain_Klutz

Terrarian
Warning: Pretty long. No, I will not share what I smoke. 'You' refers to the game protagonist- who I believe is actually Cthulhu. Mankind and Man refer to both man and womankind pls no SJW. There is a TLDR at the end.

In the beginning

...there was dust. The solar system was yet to settle into a recognisable form. You, Cthulhu, and your half brother, Hastur the Unspeakable, had existed in spirit form as demigods since the creation of the universe. Finally you find a suitable place in which to use your powers. You both command the dust to accumulate- you being the older brother, you take most of the dust, your brother settles for a small satellite to orbit your world.

You both test out your powers. The cores of both your worlds are still hot, and you tear seams through their surfaces with lava and earthquakes. Your brother's soon cools off though, being much smaller. He settles for grabbing asteroids nearby and crashing them into the moon to sculpt its grey hills for amusement.

Eventually the surface of your world begins to cool too. Water settles, and continents form. Ice cakes the poles and plants begin to grow. This world, you think, looks promising. Hastur prefers the space around him as company.

The dawn of life

Eventually, more complex beings start forming on the earth. Mammals and reptiles both begin to evolve. You stay dormant, curious as to what may happen.

Sentient thought arises first in the masters of the biomes of Earth- A matriarchal bee arises in the Jungle, ageless and mother to an innumerable amount of children. Mutations occur, the missing link between sea and land is changed- the pigrons arise, and with them their king. You visit him one day in your physical form, he introduces himself with a great roar as Duke Fishron. You share the seas as he is happy to call you king.

Animals that are not quite mammal nor reptile begin to emerge. The slimes flourish throughout the world, led by the strongest coagulant mass, who they call King. And finally, the plants in the jungle unite in thought and grow together to form a protector for their lands- Plantera has awoken, and patrols her jungle fiercely.

You, however, have always preferred the comfort of the oceans; in the meantime your brother continues to gaze at the stars.

The eve of thought

Then they came. A mass invasion of sentient thought, mankind and Lihzard evolved together, men on the surface, lihzards in the caverns. Plantera took pity on the reptile's wandering souls underground and allowed them residence in the jungle. The Lihzards began to praise all bigger than them- they worshipped, the stars, the sun, their leafy mother, and most importantly, your earth.

However, man was a far more arrogant being. It tore down entire forests in names of false gods and leaders, and skirmished with every being in the world that would not bow down to them. You decided to take action against such an abomination.

The corruption of the world

It began with a seed inside your very being. The day you decided to kill mankind was the day you started to become corrupt. You took physical form, smiting settlements and cities with goldy magic. You forged weapons that could summon stars from the sky and raze cities in a blink of an eye. You forged all the world's power into a single blade of the terra you created, whose ethereal form projected itself from its edge, killing all who stood in its way.

But it was not without cost.

Your soul turned dark as you corrupted.

Your crimson blood coursing through your body was boiling and writhing.

You saw your acts as hallowed in your mind, but in reality it was grim.

The bosses

Soul. Body. Mind.

The humans still would not die, so you channeled these horrific properties and created images of yourself.

A huge bloodied eye to watch the world.

A massive gut in the form of a worm to taste it.

A brain of unspeakable power to tell you the occurrences through your land.

You laid a curse upon an old tailor and his battered bones haunted the ruins of the cities you laid waste to. He raised the dead and created catacombs where you stored your vile magic.

You laid countercurses whereby on the death of your creations they would lie in the earth, absorbing their minerals to become stronger, mechanical versions of themselves.

But it was not enough.

You were still corrupt.

So you created a voodoo effigy. Corrupt in every way, it would absorb all your flaws and become a wandering sentinel of the hell inside yourself. This effigy of flesh was ugly, evil and delusional- so as to absorb all the corruption of your body, soul and mind. It worked.

It appeared you would reign forever.

The end?

Then your brother came back.

He had harnessed the power of the stars.

Nebula. Their birth.

Solar. Their life.

Vortex. Their collapse.

Stardust. Their demise.

Using this magic he sacrificed himself, annihilating the pair of you.

The dust of both your energies scattered to the wind.

His was absorbed into the lizard's monument to the stars. They created a stone effigy to store this energy, sealing it away.

Your power found a different resting place.

The beginning, 57 years after the battle with your brother, Lord of the Moon.

You awaken after years of slumber. Your energy has finally settled. You stretch and look around. You can't feel your tentacles.

You have legs.

Arms.

You have become a human, assimilating their soul in place of your own, and you scream vile dissent.

Then you realise.

You're like a human in spirit. Arrogant. Cruel. Selfish. You have been becoming one of them all along, but hold more power than any one of them could ever dream of.

You decide to hunt your brother.

The game begins

You soon realise the beings you created still harass the world. One night you see your own eye staring at you. It does not recognise you in this form and so you have to fight it.

But the eye tells the brain and the gut-worm has already tasted your filthy human steps in the earth. This has made you friends with the humans but enemies with your old self.

You fight them all; eye, worm, and brain, eventually reaching the keeper of the dungeon so you can unlock the weapons you left there long ago.

Then you realise to regain your true power you must unlock your true evil.

You summon your flesh effigy and crush it. The corruption of your body, soul and mind is once again released upon the earth.

The path gets harder

The countercurse you laid upon your images takes place, and you defeat the mechanical versions of all your previous servants. The moon even tried to stop you by eclipsing the sun, allowing horrors to roam the surface. Then you hear rumours of where the remains of your brother are kept. The golem calls.

Plantera tries to protect her kin but it is all too futile. You rip the petals from her ancient head and the jungle falls silent.

Able to breach the temple, you see what has been created in your absence.

But nothing stops you.

You annihilate the golem. Shatter it. Tear it apart, allowing your brother's energy to flow free once more.

You follow a group of robed Lihzards to the dungeon where they desperately try to summon your brother.

You kill them all.

The last lizard of the order of the moon steps up.

"How did you know?" He asks.

You give nothing but the fury of your weapons as a reply.

"I will warn you no more!" He cries out. But it is useless. He falls like the rest of his cult.

But not before summoning the wrath of the stars, the same ones that killed you all those years ago.

The end again?

The four stages of the lives of stars come back to haunt you. They come together with ancient alien races that have all worshipped these virtues throughout the years. In a difficult fight you defeat them all. But it is too late.

Your brother is summoned.

Though incomplete, he has regained his true form with the help from the cultists and the stars.

And you fight.

You fight for what seems an aeon.

But you win.

The power held in the weapons and armour you stored throughout the world pulls you through.

Your brother's energy is finally destroyed in a cataclysmic explosion.

And you are free to rule the world once more.

The end.

TL;DR You are Cthulhu. The moon lord is your half-brother who banished you into human form. Terraria is about defeating the very things you made in a build up to defeating your brother for good.
Yes I am the original author of the reddit post

TL;DR You are Cthulhu. The moon lord is your half-brother who banished you into human form. Terraria is about defeating the very things you made in a build up to defeating your brother for good.
Yes I am the original author of the reddit post
One problem with this theory is where you say "You see your own eye one night."
This implies that that is the true eye, which it is not.
There's an enemy called the True Eye of Cthulhu which occurs after you defeat each one of the Moon Lord's limbs.
Which is odd, considering your true eye wouldn't attack you.
And what about multiplayer?

One problem with this theory is where you say "You see your own eye one night."
This implies that that is the true eye, which it is not.
There's an enemy called the True Eye of Cthulhu which occurs after you defeat each one of the Moon Lord's limbs.
Which is odd, considering your true eye wouldn't attack you.
And what about multiplayer?

Maybe you should read the whole thing again. It explains why your own eye attacks you, it does not recognize you as you are a human.

Reddit karma wasnt enough for you huh?

OT: I like this theory, better than something i could come up with.

I've read the whole thing and I think it would make more sense if cthulhu was turned into the guide or both the player and guide because you do see them both at the start of the game and it also feels like the guide knows more than the player..

I've read the whole thing and I think it would make more sense if cthulhu was turned into the guide or both the player and guide because you do see them both at the start of the game and it also feels like the guide knows more than the player..
However, the Guide is popularly seen as the human incarnation of the Wall of Flesh.

However, the Guide is popularly seen as the human incarnation of the Wall of Flesh.
It does say here that the wall of flesh has the corrupt part of the cthulhu so if the guide was the human incarnation of wof it would mean that the guide would have cthulhu's blood or flesh or whatever

It does say here that the wall of flesh has the corrupt part of the cthulhu so if the guide was the human incarnation of wof it would mean that the guide would have cthulhu's blood or flesh or whatever
I know, I'm just saying that your thesis about the Guide being Cthulhu is overwritten by the popular belief that he's the WoF.

To each their own, though, everyone has different interpretations ^-^

That's interesting... (What is SJW and TLDR mean by the way?)
SJW = Social Justice Warrior, the kind of people who go ape:red: when they feel they're being discriminated even though this is usually not the case. Even if there's no discrimination to be found, these people go out of their way to find it anyway.

TL;DR = Too long; didn't read. Usually used as a comment by people who are treated with a wall of text and don't feel like reading it.
Also used by thread starters like this person here to notify readers that there's a summary available of the wall of text in question.

Beautiful! *ssnuff;( You have made me hate myself and the work I do -the creator of all this trouble and probably a bad big brother!:p

Back
Top Bottom