Items You Just Got 'Boned!'

CinnamonSwirl

Terrarian
Admit it.

Skeletron isn't that interesting when it comes to his drops. What? There is a hook, a (rare) book and a glove (excluding the trophy and mask, which are also rare). I get it, the loot from defeating him is mostly coming from the dungeon, but even that stuff isn't too good.

So, I was going to make a few suggestions for cool items he could drop, giving even more of an incentive to defeat this big boned boss! :dryadgrin:
---
Introductions aside, let's move right along (that's a reference if any of you get it) to the first item I have in mind:

Drops 1 of the Following -

Bowne:
27 Base Damage
4% Critical Strike Chance
Average Knockback
Slow Speed
Fires 'Bones' as ammo

Ability:
Bones fly straight at first, but after hitting a target or wall, will ricochet up to 2 times before dissipating.
Ricocheted bones spin in the air in an arched manner.

How to Obtain:
Skeletron - 20% Drop Chance
---
Shackled Skull:
36 Base Damage (Flail weapon)
Very Strong Knockback
Slow Speed
(Flail has a literal shackle chain as the weapons chain)

Ability:
Has a bigger flail 'head' than any of the other flails
Has a longer chain than most of the other flails

How to Obtain:
Skeletron - 20% Chance
---
Tomb Trident:
26 Base Damage
Very Weak Knockback
Uses 10 Mana
'Summons a miniature skeleton to fight for you'

Ability:
Melee sword wielding, walking summon
Fast attacks and movement speed, but cannot go through walls
Will turn into a skull when chasing after the player

How to Obtain:
Skeletron - 20% Chance
---
Book of Skulls:
29 Base Damage
Weak Knockback
Average Speed
Uses 14 Mana
Can pierce up to three enemies, dissipating on the fourth

Ability:
Skulls can fly through walls and tiles, but dissipate after traveling off screen or for 130 tiles

How to Obtain:
Skeletron - 20% Chance
---
Bone Glove:
19 Base Damage
Weak Knockback
Very Fast Speed
33% Chance not to consume 'Bone'

How to Obtain:
Skeletron - 20% Chance

May Also Drop -

Sturdy Bone:
2 Defense
Greatly decreaes armour reducing debuff effects
Material

How to Obtain:
Skeletron - 50% Chance
---
Bone Backing:
1 Defense
All enemies struck (by you or your summons) are inflicted with the debuff 'Boned!'

Ability (Boned!):
20% Reduced Melee attack damage
15% Reduced defense

How to Obtain:
Skeletron (Expert Mode) - 100% Chance

Other -

Sturdy Shackle:
4 Defense
Decreases armour reducing debuff effects

How to Obtain:
Shackle
Sturdy Bone
At a Tinkerer's Workshop
---
Clothier Voodoo Doll:
'He was a terrible person.. And so are you'

Ability:
Summons Skeletron after touching lava
Grants the player with the ability to damage the Clothier

How to Obtain:
Any enemy in the Dungeon - 0.3% Chance
Voodoo Slime - 100% Chance
---
Voodoo Slime:
(Same enemy as Dungeon Slime, other than its slightly rarer spawn rate, and it's different drop)

Appearance:
Visually the same a Dungeon Slime, except hides a Clothier Voodoo Doll within its gelatinous interior

Drops:
Clothier Voodoo Doll - 100% Chance
---

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed! :dryadhappy:

Last edited:
I've always accepted that the loot that Skeletron gives is the access to the various chests in the dungeon, but a few more drops for more variation could be neat. A rework to the Expert mode drop is always a novel idea as well, considering that it isn't very special in nature or utility (though, I think that the new item will suffer from a similar flaw to the Brain of Confusion, that being that it requires that you get hit).

I think the main reason him not reeeally dropping anything useful is because it's complicated to fight him again. And... you have to kill the clothier for that? After you saved him from his curse? I just dunno about that... I never tried to do that so far... it just sounds cruel...

I think that's the reason for Skeletron not having much drops.
Same goes for Lunatic Cultist too, because it's complicated to do a rematch with him, because if you win, it will start the Lunar Apocalypse...

i like the summon weapon! would it work like the pirate summon?

Exactly what I was thinking! Yeah, it'd be like a pre-Hardmode version of it.

I've always accepted that the loot that Skeletron gives is the access to the various chests in the dungeon, but a few more drops for more variation could be neat. A rework to the Expert mode drop is always a novel idea as well, considering that it isn't very special in nature or utility (though, I think that the new item will suffer from a similar flaw to the Brain of Confusion, that being that it requires that you get hit).

Sorry for my miscommunication, I meant that it happens when you hit an enemy. I hope that fixes the issue a bit!

I think the main reason him not reeeally dropping anything useful is because it's complicated to fight him again. And... you have to kill the clothier for that? After you saved him from his curse? I just dunno about that... I never tried to do that so far... it just sounds cruel...

I think that's the reason for Skeletron not having much drops.
Same goes for Lunatic Cultist too, because it's complicated to do a rematch with him, because if you win, it will start the Lunar Apocalypse...

I do agree with you on that, which is why I was thinking there should be an easier way to summon him once you've already defeated him. Thanks for sharing!

I always have a really hard time with Skeletron in Expert, yet I always forget about him the moment he's down. I think this would definitely serve to alleviate that! I have concerns about the items you left untouched, though.

The Book of Skulls, if memory serves, simply isn't very good, and neither is the Bone Glove. While the Book of Skulls might be okay with a simple stat boost, the Bone Glove seems to be entirely outshined by the Bow Marrow, as it seems to be able to do its job much more effectively.
I know you've come up with the Bone Backing (which I really like, by the way), but perhaps the glove could be reworked into an accessory? My suggestion for an effect, if you go that route, would be the ability to deal 25% more damage to enemies under 25% health.

I alway wanted more drops from Skeletron, to this is great! I would suggest a different name for “bow marrow” as there is already the hardmode bow “marrow” dropped by skeleton archers. I still like the pun though.

I kind of feel like the Book of Skulls was the only weapon in the game that was specifically meant for PVP (it actually homes in on players), but then flopped as soon as 1.1 came. Making it wall piercing would make me kinda like it. Support

Sturdy Bone:
3 Defense
Decreases enemy armour penetration
That is going to be REALLY good for Crimson worlds. I don't know if enemies have armor penetration, though.
Sturdy Shackle:
4 Defense
Slightly decreases enemy armour penetration
Slightly decreases armour reducing debuff effects
I dunno if 1 extra defense is worth a slight reduction to the other two effects. I like the concept, though.
I kind of feel like the Book of Skulls was the only weapon in the game that was specifically meant for PVP (it actually homes in on players), but then flopped as soon as 1.1 came. Making it wall piercing would make me kinda like it. Support
Wait, it DOESN'T go through walls?
Even my memory was trying to be nice to this thing.

Bow Marrow:
29 Base Damage
Average Knockback
Fast Speed
Fires 'Bones' as ammo

Ability:
Bones fly straight at first, but after hitting a target of wall, will ricochet up to 2 times before dissipating.
Ricocheted bones spin in the air in an arched manner.

There is already a Marrow bow in the game. I can't blame you for not knowing about it since it's forgettable as heck, but the pun's already (kinda) used. The weapon itself sounds awesome though. I also love the Flail (it's stronger than the later-obtained Sunfury, although that's the latter's problem) and the Staff.

Book of Skulls:
26 [Was 29] Base Damage
Weak Knockback
Average Speed
Uses 14 Mana
Can pierce up to three enemies, dissipating on the fourth

Did you actually nerf its damage? I notice the mana cost and pierce buffs and even if they kinda make up for the 15% nerf it still seems unnecessary since this weapon is really bad currently.

Sturdy Bone:
3 Defense
Decreases enemy armour penetration [Did you mean increased armor penetration against them?]
Material

This is pushing the drop limits a bit, but my issue here is how the second effect affects exactly 4 enemies out of hundreds and it's not even good as their "silver bullet". At least Ankh Charm disables debuffs instead of weakening them.

Bone Backing sounds awesome though, and much better than the current Bone Glove. With all these new drops the Clothier Voodoo Doll should probably be made a lot more common.

I was also thinking that you should be able to summon Skeletron by dropping a Clothier Voodoo Doll into lava, that way spawning him could be a bit easier
Only problem with this is the Clothier voodoo doll is tier 1 and is immune to lava, plus it's quite rare to get so it should be reduced to tier 0 and be much more common.

Only problem with this is the Clothier voodoo doll is tier 1 and is immune to lava, plus it's quite rare to get so it should be reduced to tier 0 and be much more common.
Yea, But Then You Have The Problem Of Having Boatloads Of Them And Quite Possibly Getting Them Faster Then You Can Use Them, Especially Considering Lava Never Naturally Spawns In The Dungeon.

Back
Top Bottom