PC You know the drill. My characters need some help.

SomeDudew

Terrarian
Now, I know you've all been through this but I need some help on this particular issue.

So, I was playing Terraria when I got off the game and turned my PC to sleep mode for a very long time. The thing was I was in the main menu of the game, not having it completely off.

After getting back after 2 hours or so I returned to.... the image.

No, that is not a blurry screen, that is legit the crash message on my laptop.

After a quick reboot, everything looked fine. It was running quite smoothly actually. I went to Terraria to continue my character and... it was blank. Not gone from the menu, just a blank name with the default character as the image.

I checked the Recycle bin and sure enough, there it was. Although oddly enough, it was the BACKUP files that were in there. Also, the world that specifically MY CHARACTER was in was also gone and had no name, but its files were still in the Worlds folder and not in the Recycle bin. I logically restored the files but they just went right back in. I tried renaming, I tried changing the file location, but no matter what I do, the character files go back to the Recycle bin. I have my .plr files still in the Players folder but the character still won't load.

I expect this to be something to do with the last world I was in and what character and then some shenanigans happened with that but I would just like a solution to this. I know for a fact this doesn't have to do with the mods I'm using too.

Attachments

• IMG20190623192852.jpg
    IMG20190623192852.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 162
Make a habit of shutting down games before allowing your PC to go into sleep/hibernation. Games are not designed to hibernate.
Yeah, sure, some games might not have a problem with it, but that doesn't take away the fact that they're still not designed for it, so bad things might happen. You don't know what a game is doing in the background.
I'm not saying your problems here are related to it, but they could very well be, so why take the chance.

If I had to take a guess, your player/world files got corrupted because Terraria got unexpectedly suspended while it was doing stuff in the background.
The files you keep putting back are corrupted, so the game keeps throwing them away. (I'm not sure if the game does this automatically. Does anyone know for certain? I've not had to deal with corruption before, other than in-game, pardon the bad joke.)

I know for a fact this doesn't have to do with the mods I'm using too.
Unfortunately, you can't know this for a fact, hence you shouldn't put anything in Technical Support when you are using mods.
Important - DO NOT POST ISSUES WITH MODDED PC TERRARIA HERE, PLEASE!

I know it's not that the specific file was corrupted. I renamed the .plr to give it the .bak extension and THAT was the one that got tossed instead.

I don't know a way to help you. If both your .plr/.wld and their .bak counterparts refuse to work, then they must all have been corrupted.

It's best to just shut the game down when you're not using it. Big chance that you'll never see corruptions again.

Anyways, that's kind of weird because I remember leaving this game on OVERNIGHT and still having no issues. Hell, it even ran BETTER.

Oh God now I have a bigger problem.

I wanted to delete the blank character and so I did. But then that somehow moved my main .plr file for all the characters to the Recycle bin which DELETED ALL OF MY CHARACTERS. PERMANENTLY.

Back
Top Bottom