Your 1.3.1 Update Reactions and Discoveries!? (Plus detailed info and links.)

CIHod0u.png

And here we go, my super-complicated AND gate chain! WHOO!
/s

I didn't notice that anybody had mentioned this before but yellow is the lowest priority wire color (which is really not a big surprise). So the priority order of the wire colors is: red, blue, green, yellow.

This wire-color priority can be used for a 5-way teleporter by using the same technique as was discused quite some time ago on T-MEC here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/question-3-teleporters-vs-4.5750/ (kudos to @DicemanX and @ZeroGravitas for this).

14lm0kj.jpg
2d0gf43.jpg

You step on the left-most pad and then throw the lever. This starts a 1-second timer that successively teleports you pad by pad from the left to the right, and then back to the left pad to start the cycle again. The link above describes how this magic works.

I'm loving the new grand design, as well as the logic gates, but the logic gates are quite buggy and things like SR latches immediately break when trying to use. Conveyor belts are a great alternative to hoiks when making mob farms, however not quite as fast. The new sprites are gr8 and spice up the game.

And lastly i'm really excited to see the mapmaking section of terraria. The new items like the broadcasting board and gem holders are pretty noice.

Broadcasting board is also great for detection and relaying messages to the user, i've already created systems to tell me when it's night or day, or if there are mobs attacking my base, and tons of other things.

Without a safety mechanism i wouldn't use a sensor for teleportation.
Safety mechanisms will be needed when/if I can actually get it to work.
I think you might have been very very right. My current guess is that I'm running into infinite recursion during a single wire activation. Safety mechanism to only single trigger would have prevented this. Need to figure out some 1 time only logic, I think I saw that somewhere already...

I'd say the unicorn horn drop rate from statue-based unicorns, at least on expert, is somewhere around 5%.
Nice pile of data collection. So, if normally they have a 100% drop rate, then maybe we're looking at a factor of 20 reduction...? Wonder if this applies to (all) other statue mobs (and if the old ones remain unaffected)?

Also, someone was talking about needing to do player damage (not trap or lava) on statue mobs in order to get (some) drops. Like with banners. But there's exceptions... Code diggers care to just lay it out for us? (In a separate thread perhaps, without direct code copy paste.) @critcodedtuna , @NiraExecuto , @W1K, (How are you all doing with 1.3.1 anyway?) @stefnotch already tagged you earlier. ;)

as sometimes there's a delay in activation and the player will fall into the pit and burn to death.
So, are you playing (with your friend) in multi-player mode? It's well know that wiring activations are a bit laggy in MP, particularly block actuation changes. So that may be the main issue.
My friend somehow keeps breaking the logic and inverting the door signal.
Are these regular doors? If so, they can be blocked from opening, toggling state, or friend is just clicking them and toggling the state. How about actuated block 'doors' instead?

Is any app or server that lets you spawn in items updated for 1.3.1?
TEdit is supposedly functional now (but don't know what item access it has). TerraSavr say's it's been updated for 1.3.1 (as of today, at least): http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/

i assume the wand activates them also
The actuation wand does not switch the logic gate input lamps (if that's what you mean?). Which is somewhat unfortunate, don't you think, since it starts making it pretty tricky to tweak the logic phase of inputs in complex contraptions without screwing something else up or hacking it to pieces temporarily...

about dart trap engines
Yup, you can definitely make dart traps loop using the new teal (projectile) plates, as you've shown. :) And it'll be interesting to see what compact, high damage-output setups people come up with. Repeating spear traps would be a good one too. Also, I confirmed that my (1.3.0 compatible) cool-juggling designs appear to be compatible with using teal plates activated by the very darts they are firing out to auto-repeat the pattern, in place of hoik engine and such.

yellow is the lowest priority wire color
Yup. Tacked on the end, as expected. Further to this, regarding gates: after testing with teleporters, all 4 wire colours output from a gate execute first, before a gate triggered by any of those wires triggers it's output. Gates kinda operate in layers, but all within the same wire activation. So it seems one is able to make an unlimited number of teleportation steps within a single (sub)tick, by chaining gates to more teleporters:

I made a 5 bit binary adder using logic gates.
Good stuff. :) Where you following any particular source material?

the logic gates are quite buggy and things like SR latches immediately break
Yeah, I've had some troubles with various latches that involve feeding back to the input of gates before, the loop protection kicks in with smoke, etc, and seems to screw up the states... I've never been 110% it's not just me getting something a little wrong, though. And as I've shown here, just now, certain (D-type) latches do work a treat, as divide by 2 filp-flops. But also that faulty logic gates are waay beter!

a controller allows you to see a Target Dummy move around
Controllers OP! (That's going to be a lot of writing in some of the old hoiktronic builds and max damage record setups, though, heh.)

1 time only logic
... or do you mean to divide by 2? Like a single stage of this:

Last edited:
Yes, I found and used both of those,thank you, but results are still not what I'm expecting. Maybe I'm misunderstanding logic of it. It's hard to see from the picture but I figure that is an OR gate. Once the gate triggers once, lower lamp will become on, making condition to always evaluate to true, thus preventing any further condition changes, thus no more pulses will be sent from that gate until you toggle lower lamp. Correct? But I still seem to be getting pulses from it some cases, even though when I hook gate output to the counter it doesn't show an increase(edit: does count atm, most likely I miswired/misremembered).

If you have time, hookup 2 teleporters, weighted pressure plates in the middle with wire connecting both plates and both teleporters. Hookup the both plates to the counter(I'm using same counter, but I don't think it should cause additional problems). Hop around on those plates, confirm that counter is acting as expected, see if maybe you'll actually get teleported. If not, reset counter(or just note current value), stand on the weighted plate, connect teleporters with another wire and a switch. Use the switch and keep an eye on the counter. In my head, this setup should be completely symmetrical, and activate equal amount of times no matter where I start. Correct? But, in practice, I seem to get different number of counter activations depending on which teleporter I start on.

My next step is to replace that trigger only once logic with something more basic. Not that I mistrust your design, it seems to work as intended, but if I'm right and I am getting infinite recursion, then that recursion might affect recursion detection on the logic gate. Now, where's my tinfoil hat? :(

Last edited:
Also, someone was talking about needing to do player damage (not trap or lava) on statue mobs in order to get (some) drops. Like with banners. But there's exceptions... Code diggers care to just lay it out for us? (In a separate thread perhaps, without direct code copy paste.) @critcodedtuna , @NiraExecuto , @W1K, (How are you all doing with 1.3.1 anyway?) @stefnotch already tagged you earlier. ;)
Still have to boot 1.3.1, not much interested in mechanics myself, although I love the new additions and I'm eager to see the incredible amount of potential put to good use.

Anyway, this is what I found by searching around the source codes, as long as I am reading this correctly, of course.

First of all, it seems some NPCs spawned from statues ONLY trigger their drop during hardmode and not before. The affected NPCs seem to be Medusa, Wraiths, Unicorns and all Pigrons.

For the actual question, yes, it seems like specific NPCs have altered drop chances when specifically spawned from statues. It only seems to affect specific NPCs with individual chances, but most seem to have the same drop chance of 5%. Affected NPCs include Medusa, Wraiths, Unicorns, Pigrons, Harpy, Blood Zombie, Drippler and Undead Viking.
Undead Viking seems to be the only exception in which his drop chance is altered to 25% instead.
That being said, I'm not sure of whether this is a multiplier applied to the NPC's usual drop chances, or a complete replacement. My guess would be the first case although Unicorns are not the best example as either case would give the same results, but it shouldn't be too hard to test out on a different NPC to confirm.

I made sure I'm inside teleportation 'field' when I'm triggering the sensors. It's also not a backteleportation issue, because 1) I don't see any teleportation effects which I pretty sure happen even with same tick multiwire activations 2) lightsources hooked up to the wire only toggle once(or an odd number of times). Safety mechanisms will be needed when/if I can actually get it to work.

Also, done some more testing, in new world, with new character(built a setup with old character) and discovered something even weirder. A random zombie wandered onto the teleportation pad when I was triggering it, and it teleported. Further testing showed that it would teleport monster and npcs when I trigger it while standing inside teleportation area, but not me. When I trigger the same wire with a switch, we both teleport(there is an expected backteleportation of the npc if I teleport inside the sensor area or out of it).

I believe the issue is that your sensor is being activated by you as soon as you walk into range of it, and possibly your quite on the teleport pad when the sensor activates. Try half lapping the sensor with the teleport pad, that way your not activating it until your on the pad itself. Just an idea.

edit: Just attempted this myself and it still doesn't work. Teleports mobs but not the player.
[doublepost=1464157936,1464156924][/doublepost]The Builders Workshop has been updated to 1.3.1, you can download the map from the following link.

http://mods.curse.com/maps/terraria/builders-workshop

I'm slowly making progress.
If you teleport into a weighted pressure plate, and it successfully activates a teleporter, you will get backteleported, without a second wire activation on the way back. That is not always the case though, because distance from triggering device(and thus (I'm guessing) activation order) matters. In attachment, leftmost switch will teleport me from right to left as normal, and backteleport me if I'm going right. Rightmost switch will teleport me to the right normally, but will always backteleport me when going left. Middle switch will do the same as rightmost one, presumable because of the equal distance activation rule(I didn't ever need it so I don't remember how it goes). I probably need to find that rule and test it in a vertical setup.

Now, how do the teleporters work? I know that both pads activate, in that teleportable entities from both activated pads get teleported to the other pad during same activation. Does it enumerate all entities in both teleport regions and then goes through them teleporting them one at the time? Does it activate one pad, copies it's content to a buffer(possibly removing them from the world temporarily triggering weighted pressure plates), then activates the other pad and teleports entities in its region to the first pad, then dumps the buffer onto the second pad?

I'm guessing it's the buffer method, that there's only one buffer total, and when a 2nd teleportation occurs in the middle of the 1st one, that buffer gets dumped to the original position so that the game can process 2nd teleportation activation. This is just guesswork atm and I'm not entirely sure if I can test it.

Still, this only concerns weighted pressure plates. Other new trigger devices excluding teal pressure pad, consistently trigger teleporters, but those activations only teleport npc/monsters, or at least I haven't encountered a case where it teleports me. Would be really nice to know if it's intended as a new game mechanic, or if it's a bug.

Edit1: Added a npc is on the opposite pad from me. When backteleportation doesn't occur to me, npc doesn't get teleported, when I backteleport, npc teleports 'normally'. To me this implies that pad closest the activation source teleports its content first, and that when backteleportation(and thus activation of 2nd teleport event) happens, teleportation is interrupted before it finishes for the 2nd pad.

Edit2: Some new info in the wiring thread
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...3-1-wiring-mechanics.43646/page-2#post-984500
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...3-1-wiring-mechanics.43646/page-3#post-984624
I think I'll wait till next patch before continuing testing these interactions

edit3: "continued" here http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...moke-and-how-to-prevent-it.44020/#post-989620

Attachments

• Capture 2016-05-25 09_42_35.png
    Capture 2016-05-25 09_42_35.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Capture 2016-05-25 09_42_41.png
    Capture 2016-05-25 09_42_41.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
You know those new beehives in the jungle? They have a chance to spawn a small hornet and they do 200 armor piercing damage to enemies they land on. If only we could setup a mobfarm with this. like letting them grow on inacuated blocks or something.

Also those bees are really deadly in expert-hardmode I've died 6 times from them already.

Edit: Those drippler and blood zombie statue rarely drop a money through or shark tooth necklace and harpy statues may drop a feather.

Last edited:
So, a lot of positive feedback, great little builds already, and maybe a tiny bit of unusual game behavior here and there (not bad considering we've not had our first hot-fix yet!).

But are there any niggles yet? Any mechanics that don't quite work as well as they might? Or am I just stirring up trouble that isn't there? :naughty:

So, a lot of positive feedback, great little builds already, and maybe a tiny bit of unusual game behavior here and there (not bad considering we've not had our first hot-fix yet!).

But are there any niggles yet? Any mechanics that don't quite work as well as they might? Or am I just stirring up trouble that isn't there? :naughty:
The only small thing I know is when you use a wall creeper with walls, it will go through walls next to the statue to escape. Thats literally the only tiny 'niggle' I've seen. :) (where could I make gifs again?)

Well, it's really annoying to me that grand design configuration menu doesn't go in the wire priority order.

Found a glitch with Terrarian and having a high melee speed. I tested it on a server and was able to hit a person over 1000 tiles away and go through blocks. could be useful for hidden activation using teal pressure pads but i couldn't get anything to work very consistently. could be abused for PvP

Found a glitch with Terrarian and having a high melee speed. I tested it on a server and was able to hit a person over 1000 tiles away and go through blocks. could be useful for hidden activation using teal pressure pads but i couldn't get anything to work very consistently. could be abused for PvP

That looks really cool. Nice find

Back
Top Bottom