Official Your favorite blocks

Hey Terrarians, I have a question for you! What are your favorite blocks to build with? (Or just to have around in general.)

I’ll tell you mine first, it’s the new Starry Blocks.
(I guess that’s a spoiler… Well, it was on the official twitter so it’s okay!)

cg10kRN.gif

So what are your favorites?
Boreal wood
Crystal blocks
And maybe even this new one

Asphalt block is my favorite block for running to point A to point B with or without Hermes boots

Would there be block backgrounds two?
Hey Terrarians, I have a question for you! What are your favorite blocks to build with? (Or just to have around in general.)

I’ll tell you mine first, it’s the new Starry Blocks.
(I guess that’s a spoiler… Well, it was on the official twitter so it’s okay!)

cg10kRN.gif

So what are your favorites?
Would there be Starry block walls two?
Also I like both.

Marble in combination with pearlwood. But no worries, those starry blocks will fit in quite well indeed, you tease.

I have to take my vote for granite. :p Nothing beats infinite and renewable building resources with nice textures.
Woods get a similar vote with probably rich mahogany, boreal as the two best to use decoratively though palm, ebonwood and shadewood aren't bad either I have to admit I don't usually do all wood construction opting to use it as an accent piece instead. Also Glowing Mushroom is always awesome and pairs really well with granite

Otherwise when it comes to bricks I'm a big fan of ebonstone brick followed by Iridescent Brick The prior is also the best way to use ebonstone while the second lets me clear out leftover ash as an added bonus. crimtane brick is pretty cool too though it annoys me that it uses regular stone unlike its counterpart demonite luckily I never need to make either of those two just drop voodoo dolls into lava. ;)

Crystal is interesting though I admit I haven't really played around with it since I've done most of my major building before I get the capability to make it and it kinda clashes with chlorophyte too much for a chlorophyte farm. Its a similar situation with Conduit Plating though I did replace my world spawn base with it it was quite a bit more work than I had anticipated. I can't wait for that block swap as it should finally let me prettify stuff.

I also have to add that stone+ Moss looks pretty god though you have to worry about it getting converted, but for fire moss it is worth it! I only wish Fire moss wouldn't get destroyed by the spreading biomes perhaps it could turn into cursed inferno, ichor and crystal moss variants? It is too precious to loose to the three evils. :eek:

I also like the look of ___ Dungeon but there isn't enough furniture to ever actually use the stuff similar to the other loot only furniture set obsidian. That said bone torches and bone lanterns with the right paint allow you to make a fairy spooky decorated dungeon.

And or course the new block is interesting though personally it has more motion than I would like for a main block it looks like a good block to use as an accent piece.

I usually make my apartment-skybases out of marble with touches of granite and glass, so marble would be the one I'm most likely to build stuff out of.

But, if I had access to a creative mode or similar where actually acquiring resources didn't matter so much, I'm a fan of crystal blocks, the coloured team blocks, Titanstone + Rich Mahogany, and... I'm probably going to have to agree with the starry blocks honestly.

Whew. Those starry blocks are definitely going to be a new favourite of mine. Especially if they have the trippy effect when moving that Twilight Dye has.
Actually oh, there's an idea for the update: Converting special dyes into paints! That would be cool.
And as for another favourite... Hm... Well, perhaps not a fav, but it doesn't get enough of a spotlight: Glass, and variants thereof. Necessities for most builds.

And then, I know it's not the topic, but least favourite blocks?
Shadewood.
ughshadewood.PNG
ughshadewood2.PNG
ughshadewood3.PNG

Look at that terrible connection in the first image. Look at how poorly it works when linked to other blocks in the second. Look at the repetetive squareish pattern of its walls in the third. Eugh. And its furniture isn't much to look at either.
Can we please get at the very least a fix for that broken connection texture in the first image in 1.3.6? This has been driving me insane since I first tried using it in a build.

Whew. Those starry blocks are definitely going to be a new favorite of mine. Especially if they have the trippy effect when moving that Twilight Dye has.
Actually oh, there's an idea for the update: Converting special dyes into paints! That would be cool.
And as for another favorite... Hm... Well, perhaps not a fav, but it doesn't get enough of a spotlight: Glass, and variants thereof. Necessities for most builds.

And then, I know it's not the topic, but least favorite blocks?
Shadewood.
View attachment 222235View attachment 222236View attachment 222238
Look at that terrible connection in the first image. Look at how poorly it works when linked to other blocks in the second. Look at the repetitive squarish pattern of its walls in the third. Eugh. And its furniture isn't much to look at either.
Can we please get at the very least a fix for that broken connection texture in the first image in 1.3.6? This has been driving me insane since I first tried using it in a build.
Could be worse if it acted like Sandstone does (though with that furniture I have hopes that will be fixed with a real sandstone brick unlike the one currently in the game e rich color would be amazing if it worked better for construction so I have high hopes hopefully not to high though...
That said Shadewood it is definitely the worst wood...ascetic wise.

I actually don't see a problem with Rich Mahogany and Shadewood, because I like how they are more unique and I find them better looking than normal wood.
It's not so broken to be needed to be fixed. It just one pixel that stand out could be worse like with Bone Blocks. These need to be trully fixed and their tiles updates to look visually better.

I could say there are more worse building materials just because don't doen't line with other blocks are more propably Mushrooms and other blocks like Slime Blocks because their inner sprite is smooth.

That is why you have to find nice combination,
Shadewood isn't worst block, in my opinion Asphalt Block (very dark, no shading near outlines, next update is going to have shading updates and looks a lot better) and Bone Block (like I said this one needs to be fixed.

For you I actually tested if I can do something with shadewood and here's this. Second have second darkest colour where it stand out most and third is somethign more I would like to see and like about Shadewood (literally too about 1 minute)
texture testing.png

Paint, sooooo many possibilities are opened up when you start painting things.

My only thing with painting, is just how long it takes and how easy it is to mess up and/or how often the auto tool will paint blocks you didn't want painted. IMO, pointing the mouse cursor at one blocktype should restrict auto-tool to painting ONLY that block type. So if I point at Wood Wall, it should NOT be painting wood foreground blocks, or the glass walls next to it.

And also the tedium of having to buy thousands of buckets of paint is also annoying. IMO, there should be infinite paint buckets craftable much like bullet pouches/endless quivers: Grey Paint x999 -> Infinite Grey Paint Bucket.

My only thing with painting, is just how long it takes and how easy it is to mess up and/or how often the auto tool will paint blocks you didn't want painted. IMO, pointing the mouse cursor at one blocktype should restrict auto-tool to painting ONLY that block type. So if I point at Wood Wall, it should NOT be painting wood foreground blocks, or the glass walls next to it.
There isn't a paint tool for both backwall and foreground blocks though? Only the remover is prone to this...

Anyway, I've really liked Martian Conduit Plating lately. That blue flash effect really works nicely and is completely immune to paint, opening up even more options!

There isn't a paint tool for both backwall and foreground blocks though? Only the remover is prone to this...

True, but it still paints background walls, like if I have a wood wall house with a glass wall window, I have to very carefully paint around the window and it takes forever. I suppose I'm thinking of a house I recently did where I was painting some foreground walls (Copper Plating) and the stupid auto-tool wanted to also paint the nearby mudstone blocks and the dirt blocks too.

Back
Top Bottom