You've got the Touch, You've got the Power! Controller & Customization Update hits Mobile Terraria Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been enjoying this update so far but I've got a few minor issues and suggestions to make about this update.
  • First, the most important thing I'd like to mention that there isn't an option to snap buttons to a grid which makes it really difficult align buttons in a straight line or use the limited space with maximum efficiency especially with smaller buttons that can hide under a finger
  • I think this new system is amazing but it would be better if we had more options for buttons to add. My suggestions are:
    • A button for the rod of discord. The rod of discord is an extremely useful item but on mobile its uses are limited because it takes too much time to swap between slots mid-fight but with a dedicated button this could be solved and this amazing item can be as good as on pc or maybe even better
    • A button for dashes like shield of cthulu or ninja tabi. The existing controls are fine for dashes in most cases in singleplayer but when it gets laggy the game won't register double taps that easily (this mostly happens with multiplayer, pillars and invasions) and for that reason an option would be useful
    • A Button to either quickly swap slots and/or use an item in a different slot. I made point earlier that quick-swapping is very difficult and lot of the time attempting to swap between items mid-fight can cost the entire fight. This function would be really useful for all classes to have quick access to debuffs or healing
These were my main points but I still wanted to list a few smaller suggestions
  • The ability to resize all control areas individually. I prefer the aesthetics of smaller hud elements but it's easier to play with larger controls
  • A dedicated button to swap between presets next to quick sort to quickly switch between presets
  • The middle are between the two control areas should be free to place buttons in
  • The ability to move other existing hud elements into the control area (like the map icon)
Thnk you for taking the time to read this and please excuse the poor grammar I'm not a native english speaker.
I also might have ranted for too long so here's a (hopefully) short tl;dr:
It's hard to align buttons so a grid would be useful and the current system has enough potential to support other button types to make combat more efficient

I was using my xbox controller and out of nowhere it stopped letting me move and aim and the triggers on the controller stopped working but only in the game.

Finally! I can finally play Terraria with my PS4 controller which is very cool since I don't have the PS4 edition (lmao)

Also hoping to get the 1.3.5 update for Mobile before the Journey's End update :<

Any news on the iOS crash issue? I haven't been able to test other controllers to see if they work, for I don't have any. I also haven't been able to test other iOS devices with my DS4 controller because the rest of my devices aren't compatible with iOS 13.

As I was saying earlier, none of us can replicate your issue (trying various iOS devices + DS4-2)... probably best to try to continue this in a PM so we can try to figure out what it is about your scenario that is triggering what you are seeing. The more details we can get, the better.

First, the most important thing I'd like to mention that there isn't an option to snap buttons to a grid which makes it really difficult align buttons in a straight line or use the limited space with maximum efficiency especially with smaller buttons that can hide under a finger

Great feedback, thanks... going through these one at a time.

This is a good one here, and one thing that I've actually pondered on myself throughout development. Will discuss further internally.

A button for the rod of discord. The rod of discord is an extremely useful item but on mobile its uses are limited because it takes too much time to swap between slots mid-fight but with a dedicated button this could be solved and this amazing item can be as good as on pc or maybe even better

This is overly-specific and becomes a VERY slippery slope extremely quickly. RoD is a useful tool, to be sure, but it is not a "core" progression item to the game by any means... sure, it is popular and quite powerful, but assigning a button to one item is just overkill. Won't deny it would make using RoD far easier - but then we would have people asking about adding a button for <item X> AND we are talking about further imbalancing RoD both within Mobile AND across to other versions of the game, where no such button would exist.

Would rate this as "very very unlikely to happen"...

A button for dashes like shield of cthulu or ninja tabi. The existing controls are fine for dashes in most cases in singleplayer but when it gets laggy the game won't register double taps that easily (this mostly happens with multiplayer, pillars and invasions) and for that reason an option would be useful

We have certainly heard this request over time. I would say this has potentially more merit than the RoD button, as Dash is actually a core game mechanic. However, as it is set up currently, it matches every other version of the game - where double tapping a direction = dash. This is one that I suspect we will discuss further internally, but it also becomes a balance issue of one version of the game detaching itself skill-wise from the others. This was a direction that the pre-1.3 game took, and we are loathe to repeat this.

Still, will bear more discussion.... but this is not something I would assume or promise will occur.

A Button to either quickly swap slots and/or use an item in a different slot. I made point earlier that quick-swapping is very difficult and lot of the time attempting to swap between items mid-fight can cost the entire fight. This function would be really useful for all classes to have quick access to debuffs or healing

You can do that now by tapping what you want? That is the closest we can come to the m+k approach of numbers to tie to hotbar slots. Again, being able to swap weapons while moving and dodging and firing is part of the skill cycle of of the game. One could argue that Mobile and PC even have a leg-up on gamepad users (whom mostly - at least until hotbar navigation on Advanced Mobile Gamepad settings - have only been able to cycle through their hotbar) already.

I'm not sure I even see the need for this one...

The ability to resize all control areas individually. I prefer the aesthetics of smaller hud elements but it's easier to play with larger controls

• The middle are between the two control areas should be free to place buttons in
  • The ability to move other existing hud elements into the control area (like the map icon)

These fall into "there are limits to the power we can provide without giving the players things that would really break systems" - so what you have now is a nice balance between the two. We could all think of ways to "take it further" - and perhaps in future updates we will be able to explore expanding those boundaries a bit... but fully being able to move every UI element around at whim runs into literally breaking things, so I don't see that level of freedom ever being a thing. Sorry.

That said, again, I'm sure we will be looking at ways to tweak and build on this foundation over time... as to what that will be, really no idea as of yet.

A dedicated button to swap between presets next to quick sort to quickly switch between presets

Profile Cycle is already a button. I'm not sure what you mean here?

After i disconnected my xbox controller the xbox controls are still showing up and i cant chamge it

Android? iOS? Did you try cycling Bluetooth off/on?

Finally! I can finally play Terraria with my PS4 controller which is very cool since I don't have the PS4 edition (lmao)

Also hoping to get the 1.3.5 update for Mobile before the Journey's End update :<
I don't think Mobile will get the 1.3.5 update before journey's end update, because it takes time for the update to come over to mobile, so i don't think it will come to mobile just yet. Well I don't know for sure though.

A atualização está incrível.Só tem um problema,meu gamepad Ipega9128 não está funcionando.
Sou paciente pra próxima correção de bugs😊

Having issues with my PS4 controller. There's a delay when I press buttons. Sometimes I'll press buttons and nothing happens.

I don't think Mobile will get the 1.3.5 update before journey's end update, because it takes time for the update to come over to mobile, so i don't think it will come to mobile just yet. Well I don't know for sure though.
yeah knowing that 1.4 will come out in may 16 so its impossible lmao

No. Mobile and consoles aren’t as open as computers are so mods aren’t very much possible.

I don't know about recent consoles but Android and it's phones are open and nearly as capable as computers in 2020. iOS and apple phones on the other hand are locked and like to brag about their speed yet lack the content to try all this super op speed :D Android is the real playa and can even run 3DS Terraria at this point and who knows even Switch Terraria soon?

Sorry for going offtopic, I just like to make fun of the overpriced Apple

I don't know about recent consoles but Android and it's phones are open and nearly as capable as computers in 2020. iOS and apple phones on the other hand are locked and like to brag about their speed yet lack the content to try all this super op speed :D Android is the real playa and can even run 3DS Terraria at this point and who knows even Switch Terraria soon?

Sorry for going offtopic, I just like to make fun of the overpriced Apple
It's fine.... but still it is more accessible on computers, because i think tmodloader only can be loaded on a computer

Hello,

I am having some issues on the Android version of Terraria with my controller. It looks like I'm running version 1.3.0.7.8.1 of the app. The tablet I am using is a Kindle Fire 10" (9th Generation) and the controller I'm using is an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+.

I am suspecting this to be an issue with the controller rather than the app. The controller has three settings - D-input (Android mode), X-input (Xbox 360 mode), and macOS (PS3 mode). D-input mode is less desirable to use as this mode cannot be customized for the device so readily.

The issue with the X-input and macOS modes is that it will not register the triggers. Other apps will register them (Minecraft and Delta Touch are examples offhand). I've seen this described on Reddit, and I think this may be the cause:

"All the buttons are where they should be, with one exception... the L2/R2 trigger buttons. It seems these register as "LTRIGGER" and "RTRIGGER" keycodes, as analog buttons. The triggers themselves don't seem to be analog, and only ever register 1.0 or 0.0. It seems most Android games are not set up expecting LTRIGGER/RTRIGGER, rather they expect BUTTON_R2/BUTTON_L2, so they don't actually do anything in-game (and most Android games don't have controller remapping)."

Is this something that can be adapted to make the triggers work properly, or an option added to the menu to toggle trigger to swap as L2/R2?

Thanks!

Last edited:
This isn't really related to controls, but after the update, anytime I try to reforge an accessory, it stays until I leave the world. When I start playing again, the reforges are still on my weapons, but not my equipped accessories. Both social slots and active slots are affected, but not the ones I keep in a chest for some reason. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

This isn't really related to controls, but after the update, anytime I try to reforge an accessory, it stays until I leave the world. When I start playing again, the reforges are still on my weapons, but not my equipped accessories. Both social slots and active slots are affected, but not the ones I keep in a chest for some reason. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
There’s a bug right now that accessories will lose their prefix when swapped. It’s fixed in the next update. Until then, avoid swapping out accessories if you can. :)

They will release another controls related update soon but no idea about big content updates... 1.4 might be a year away for us humble mobile users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom