TCF Suggestion Zooming into pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drain.

Terrarian
It's been a while since I've last been here since I've migrated to other forums such as PixelJoint and Pixelation, both of which are super great art forums that have the best communities ever. They also had a very nice feature incorporated into it where you can zoom into pictures by clicking them to inspect art closer and better which helps a lot, since both are pixel art forums and you don't have to squint your eyes to examine pieces closer and look like this: =__= and of course, you are able to zoom it back out by shift+clicking.

I was wondering if xenforo also had a feature like this, since I lurk in the art forum and basically just live there, and I'm having a very hard time trying to give constructive criticism to the artists here because I need to squint my eyes to look at their art better and then my face hurts so I just give up entirely.

tl;dr does xenforo have a feature where you zoom in by clicking and zoom out by shift-clicking because everytime i want to look at a piece of pixel art my face starts to freaking hurt

Yes, clicking an image scales it up to full size and clicking it again scales it down again.

If that doesn't work, the image is already being displayed at full size.

Yes, clicking an image scales it up to full size and clicking it again scales it down again.

He means being able to zoom in more than the full size, many sprites are quite small.

He means being able to zoom in more than the full size, many sprites are quite small.

Any feature that does that wouldn't be capable of differentiating between sprites and non-sprites. As Terraria is not a pixel art forum (and as far as I can tell, most images posted aren't sprites), in my personal opinion that would do more harm than good.

Just my two cents, it's not my call to make after all.

@darthmorf has said it in the most perfect manner possible.

The ability to zoom in for more than 100% with no resampling would make inspecting sprites and pixel art a lot easier.

edit:
Any feature that does that wouldn't be capable of differentiating between sprites and non-sprites. As Terraria is not a pixel art forum (and as far as I can tell, most images posted aren't sprites), in my personal opinion that would do more harm than good.

Just my two cents, it's not my call to make after all.

The art forums don't also differentiate between pixel art and non-pixel art, they give you the ability to zoom in all pictures posted. It's also kind of weird to say that TCF, not being an art forum, shouldn't be a place where people can receive constructive criticism on their art, even though there is a dedicated art forum.

And it's kind of a stretch for you to say it'd do more harm than good. The most that I can think of is someone accidentally clicks a picture and doesn't know how to zoom it back out, and that's hardly any harm. It just gives you something that helps when you want to look at an image closer, while not having to zoom in the whole page, or look very closely at your screen.

Last edited:
The art forums don't also differentiate between pixel art and non-pixel art, they give you the ability to zoom in all pictures posted. It's also kind of weird to say that TCF, not being an art forum, shouldn't be a place where people can receive constructive criticism on their art, even though there is a dedicated art forum.

And it's kind of a stretch for you to say it'd do more harm than good. The most that I can think of is someone accidentally clicks a picture and doesn't know how to zoom it back out, and that's hardly any harm. It just gives you something that helps when you want to look at an image closer, while not having to zoom in the whole page, or look very closely at your screen.

I never said that people shouldn't be able to receive constructive criticism. In fact I'm hugely in favour of giving constructive criticism. What I am saying is that because TCF is not an art forum, let alone a pixel art specific art forum, it's not reasonable to assume that the majority of the images are sprites.

My main problem, as you correctly assumed, is accidentally clicking images, for multiple reasons. The first and foremost being that the feature will have to load, which requires resources. These might be negligible, I don't know, but they might also put a noticeable tax on the system, especially on mobile devices. It's difficult to estimate what the difference will be between zooming in on a 20 by 20 sprite or a 800 by 800 image (or, god help you, an animated gif), if any, but considering this feature isn't vital for a non pixel art forum, I'm just being conservative in this regard. I'm also slightly concerned about the interaction with hyperlinked images and pictures that have been scaled down to fit the page and therefore need to be clicked to be viewed at full size (and this reflects back on the idea that large images might be more taxing to zoom in on).

Don't get me wrong, I understand the potential advantages for this feature and why you are appealing for it, if it exists. But I also see potential disadvantages, and am appealing against the feature in turn. Like I said, it's not my call to make, but I'm just voicing my worries.

My suggested alternatives copying the sprite into an art program and zooming in there (which also allows you to make localised edits to help you illustrate the feedback), or even just lowering the resolution of a device (which admittedly is a rather poor alternative, but it gets the job done).

You've made some valid points. Webpages and forum software isn't really in my domain of interest. I was pretty selfish in thinking that this would benefit everyone and didn't consider those that have super-slow systems and accidentally clicking on an image, taking forever for it to load. Nor did I consider hyperlinked images.

I acknowledge your points and will have the thread locked. Cheers for being such a good debater!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom