PC Terraria Will not Launch, through Steam or Otherwise

Orca'sRequiem

Terrarian
I've been playing Terraria through steam for years and I've never had any issues with it. Sure, TModloader had some issues but it was likely from performance and too many mods, but Terraria itself never had any issues.

Upon trying to launch the game, nothing happens. No error message, nothing.
Steam says its launching, and then has launched, before going back to not being launched as if nothing ever happened.
I don't get any logs or anything either.

Things I have tried to fix my issue:
- Uninstall and Reinstall (around 5 times now)
- Restart PC, even full shutdown for good measure
- Clear Steam download cache (which solved a different issue I had with space but doesnt help here)
- Delete X3audio1_7 and try to reinstall dxwebsetup, setup has an error.
- Reinstall xnafx40_redist
- clearing all player data (saved it somewhere else)
- Launching with TModLoader

None of these have worked, nor have they shown any difference in results whatsoever.
I'm at a loss right now, and I don't know what to do. I've been waiting weeks for winter break so that I could finally play Terraria with some friends I haven't tried it with yet, and the first time we actually find time, the game refuses to work. In retrospect I think that this issue has been going on for a while, as I recall TModloader doing the same thing a month back or so, with it doing nothing as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I managed to get this crash from the server.exe if that means anything.

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'ReLogic, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Invalid pointer (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004003 (E_POINTER)) ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadImage(Byte[] rawAssembly, Byte[] rawSymbolStore, Evidence evidence, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean fIntrospection, Boolean fSkipIntegrityCheck, SecurityContextSource securityContextSource)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(Byte[] rawAssembly)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.<>c.<Main>b__5_0(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs sargs)
at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)

Last edited:
Go to documents, then my games, then terraria, and delete the config.json file. That should fix it, but it will also reset a bunch of the settings.
If that doesn't work I don't have any other ideas.

Go to documents, then my games, then terraria, and delete the config.json file. That should fix it, but it will also reset a bunch of the settings.
If that doesn't work I don't have any other ideas.
Yeah the my games folder is already entirely cleared.

Well, nothing has changed. I've tried a few other things like renaming the file, removing virus protection to try to see if thats causing it, and nothing. I am still at a complete an utter loss. I desperately need help now because at this point I don't see this problem ever getting fixed at this rate.

No online videos help, no forums or other questions help. It's all so confusing and I don't know why.

Well, here I am, a week later. The problem still isn't solved either.

I'm not sure what to do, right now the only idea I have is a full factory reset of my computer and I can't really do that.
There has to be some sort of solution or something that affects it.
Do VPNs mess with it?

Can you go ahead and create a log then send it here?: go to your steam library, open Terraria's properties, and open Launch options, paste "-logerrors -logfile '' into the box. The next time you launch, it should make a log in Documents>My Games>Terraria>Logs.

Can you go ahead and create a log then send it here?: go to your steam library, open Terraria's properties, and open Launch options, paste "-logerrors -logfile '' into the box. The next time you launch, it should make a log in Documents>My Games>Terraria>Logs.
That unfortunately doesn't do anything. I've had -logerrors -logfile in launch options for a while now

Noticed that someone else made a thread of them having trouble getting Terraria to load, but apparently they solved their problem. Might be a different problem for you, but.... hopefully there's something in there you haven't tried yet.

That unfortunately doesn't do anything. I've had -logerrors -logfile in launch options for a while now
- "Doesn't do anything" means it does not produce a log file? Did you check the install directory too?
- Do you repeatedly get the same exception when starting TerrariaServer.exe? Did that also still happen after you reinstalled the game completely?
- What happens if you run the tModLoader server?
- Could you post the sha256 hash of your Terraria.exe file? You can do that using 7zip for example, or in the command line using certutil -hashfile Terraria.exe sha256
- Could you post a screenshot of all the registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full? To get there press Windows + R, type regedit.exe, hit enter and then paste the path into the search field at the top
If this same exact issue (same exception log) still happens with the latest game version, it could be that you somehow don't have the right .net framework version installed or that your installation is broken in some way. In the former case visit Download .NET Framework | Free official downloads and download .net framework 4.5 (under out of support versions; yes, Terraria is using a runtime that is out of support since 8 years ago), in the latter case you can try to repair your installation using Repair the .NET Framework - .NET Framework.

- "Doesn't do anything" means it does not produce a log file? Did you check the install directory too?
- Do you repeatedly get the same exception when starting TerrariaServer.exe? Did that also still happen after you reinstalled the game completely?
- What happens if you run the tModLoader server?
- Could you post the sha256 hash of your Terraria.exe file? You can do that using 7zip for example, or in the command line using certutil -hashfile Terraria.exe sha256
- Could you post a screenshot of all the registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full? To get there press Windows + R, type regedit.exe, hit enter and then paste the path into the search field at the top
If this same exact issue (same exception log) still happens with the latest game version, it could be that you somehow don't have the right .net framework version installed or that your installation is broken in some way. In the former case visit Download .NET Framework | Free official downloads and download .net framework 4.5 (under out of support versions; yes, Terraria is using a runtime that is out of support since 8 years ago), in the latter case you can try to repair your installation using Repair the .NET Framework - .NET Framework.
Yes, doesn't work means it does not produce a log file, and yes, I checked the install directory too.
I do get the same exception from each time I launch TerrariaServer.exe, the same happens with tModloader server. The command prompt closes too quickly for me to copy paste it, so here's a screenshot I nabbed.
1714328170044.png

The result of the hashfile command on the Terraria.exe was:
SHA256 hash of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe:
2e6a66f8edcff5a4db67d5a13c30f28f1c1ce66e567c676c3884206f02909554

Attempting to reinstall .Net framework 4.5 told me that the framework was already installed. I installed the repair and ran it, and there was no notable change. Game still doesn't launch, same exception from TerrariaServer.exe

Here are the registry keys.
1714328492785.png

Alright thank you for the information:
- your Terraria.exe hash matches mine, which means that your Terraria installation is intact (the ReLogic assembly is embedded into this file)
- your .net framework installation is pretty much up to date
Unfortunately, considering that repairing the installation also did not help, at this point I (or someone else) would need to actively debug the game on your computer and really dig into it to search for the cause. Unless of course there is an old thread I haven't found yet where this was solved.

Also, the firewall is like your front door, while your router is the gate in your fence around your house; you can technically open your front door without being in much danger since your fence is still closed (unless you configure port forwarding in your router) - either of these protect your computer completely from outside connections :)

Last edited:
Also, the firewall is like your front door, while your router is the gate in your fence around your house; you can technically open your front door without being in much danger since your fence is still closed (unless you configure port forwarding in your router) :)
Not unless you live in a dangerous neighborhood.

Which the internet often is. Hense why I advised them to not turn it off completely.

Back
Top Bottom