Is it possible to set markers?

mythlady

Terrarian
i wonder if I will ever develop the ability to set a marker in a dungeon so I can return to it. I have a bed I return to on the surface, but if I'm all the way down in the underworld, it's tedious to have to find my way back there again after I've been on the surface. Does something like that ever come my way?

Well, depending on why you're returning to the surface there are a few things...

If it's for excessive loot, you can use a piggy bank or a safe (later in the game) as a mid-dungeon storage. The space a table and piggy bank takes up in your inventory is well worth it.

If it's due to logging out of the game, short of building a house and saving there, I don't think there's any way of doing it. You'll need to replace the back wall in a lot of cases which can make this impossible.

If it's a temporary "because" you could use a portal gun. That, however, you can't get until you're pretty much done with the game... So... you did say "ever".

If it's from death, you're pretty much out of luck if you're playing alone. If with others, though, you can use wormhole potions to teleport to allies (which would work for the random leaving and excessive loot reasons as well)... assuming the ally stays alive.

If by marker you mean setting your spawn point deep Underground incase you're planning to spend a lot of time there, you can build another small house with a bed to serve as a sort of outpost either in the Dungeon/Underworld or where you want to have an easier way to get there as well as respawn if you die. And for the Underworld, digging a "Hellivator" below your base allows for easy access to the Underworld and it's recommended to build one anyway so you can easily get to any layer Underground. A Hellivator is basically just a vertical 2-3 or more block shaft that goes from the surface to the Underworld which can be made.

As for traveling to them, you'll still have to go on foot unfortunately. There's no getting around it, though there are accessories such as Rocket Boots/ Spectre Boots and the Frog Leg which increase your movement abilities which make traveling much easier.

Traveling will also become much easier later in the game as well (I'm guessing you haven't reached Hardmode yet). As a small spoiler there will be an NPC that comes along that sells teleporters which you can setup and wire at significant locations to make traveling very easy which can easily serve as a "marker". And the recent 1.3.1 update has made wiring easier and it will be pretty easy to setup once you unlock them. Though I'll still try to continue to answer any new questions you still have as best I can if they come up.

I would suggest teleporters soon as you can make them. Like make a bed within and a teleporter pad then connect to surface with another one using wiring. As to activate, just use pressure plates. That will be a lot of wire though keep that in mind. Just something I want to point out, and about the only way I can think of to cut the distance a bit. :dryadsmile:

Back
Top Bottom