Terraria Community Forums

Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
the god of war dlc? i actually finished it back in early february, unfortunately that means the vods are long gone (on twitch atleast, i downloaded them all before they were deleted)
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
as for my actual opinion on the dlc, it varies between the different aspects of it, but it's mostly positive. the story feels like it was built around the idea of working in a roguelike game at the start, instead of having the roguelike elements tacked on along the way because it became the new cool thing to add onto every game, like open world is
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
having kratos utilize valhalla to mentally path himself through a life choice that caused calamity the last time the same choice came up was a very nice way to continue the story in a way that didn't feel like it was cobbled together with no regard with the events of the main game, along with also referencing the older games
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
although it feels like i should've replayed the older games before playing the dlc, as revisiting greece and fighting various enemies from greek mythology didn't really have the effect i think they were going for when designing that section
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
the combat didn't feel all that different from the main game, with a few exceptions with some upgrades that felt like they never existed before. one thing i feel the dlc decided made worse was the fact that you have to choose a weapon path at the very start of each run.
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
the elemental barriers that enemies protected certain enemies in the main game weren't very significant problems, considering you had ample time to deal with them in most situations, and the fact that all of your weapons would be about the same strength unless you were specifically not using a certain one for some reason
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
that's not the case in the dlc, where the enemies in greece can use certain attacks that will create such barriers, and destroy a part of your rage if not dealt with fast enough, which felt like a detrimental aspect considering the weapon choice aspect from earlier
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
it also felt like the upgrades for the draupnir spear were just leagues better then the ones for the other weapons, getting the ability to imbue a spear with any element after throwing it feels like an ability they added in then forgot to balance it after the fact, especially considering that there are upgrades specifically for detonating thrown spears
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
i'd like to comment on the music of the dlc, but it just felt like there never was any to begin with, it was far too quiet. i understand having the music be quiet during calmer moments, but not when i'm in the middle of combat with 5 different high level enemies running amok
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
the sheer amount of dialogue in the dlc is astronomical, and yet it feels like the issue of "quantity versus quality" never appears, all of that talking actually feels like it amounts to something. which is something the main game also did well, so i suppose that's not too surprising when taking that into consideration
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
i was also hoping that the real tyr would appear in some capacity considering how he just adventures about after defeating odin, but having him be the final boss of the dlc was not something i saw coming, and having a god of war face off against another god of war was another nice touch to the story
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
as for the fight itself, it's definitely on the better side, having tyr face you with more and more weapons and moves the more you beat him is a nice way of not having the fight get stale throughout the story; he's not just hitting harder in later encounters, but is also throwing more complex moves at you to see if you're actually getting better or just getting stronger
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
Golden Heretic Snakeboat
i feel like there was more i was going to say that i'm forgetting, but overall, i'd say that this dlc is worth playing through if you like god of war and you like roguelike games, with it's strongest points being it's story, dialogue, and final boss fight
Back
Top Bottom