• I like the armored force shield.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • I like the regenerative force shield

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • I like the mobile force shield.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • I like the fluid dispersal shield.

• I like the quantum reinforcement shield.

• I like them all! :D

Votes: 29 74.4%

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
How do I get it?

The force shield is a one use item that is found in the dungeon, underground cabins, golden chests, and various other locations, with only one of each. The cheaper force shields are more common than the expensive ones. Refraction Crystals are required for the creation of force shields (recipe below). It requires diamonds so that it is a bit more costly, but also affordable earlier on.

52454-cfa08ca8565e970946a46b82f3a1742d.jpg

Refraction Crystal
Diamond.png
x2
Fallen_Star.png
x1
@ Anvil
Makes 2, and is used for the creation of force shields. When placed, glows as bright as an ultra bright torch. It can be crafted with one wood to create 30 ultra bright torches.

While it is not not hard mode exclusive, the force shield is a very useful item in some situations. When right clicked, it puts up a large shield around the player and an area nearby them. The force shield grows from the player to force a bubble that is 8 blocks in diameter. Any monsters near the player are pushed away when it is used. When it is finished growing, you will have a large 8 block wide sphere that glows the color of the energy container in the center. It looks similar to the Inferno potion's effect, but smoother and more bubble like, and the inside is filled in.

How does it work?

The force shield has the unique feature of having a damage limit and a time limit, both which can cause it to explode. Monsters that try to attack you will deal damage to the force shield instead, and you will be completely safe from monsters, liquids, and projectiles as long as you are inside. On the other hand, you can not place blocks outside of the shield, shoot projectiles through the shield, or exit the shield. The force shield itself can not move, with the exception of the 2 mobile force shields. But players can destroy them fairly easily, as they will deal quadruple damage to the force shield.

After it is delt its maximum health, or the time has run out, it will explode in a flurry of light that is the color of its energy container, which doesn't cause any damage to blocks. Around the 2/3 of its lifespan, or if it reaches a 2/3 of its maximum damage mark, it will begin to flash, and when 3/4 of its lifespan has passed, or 3/4 of its maximum damage mark it will begin wavering and flashing very quickly. When it explodes, it pushes back all monsters around it, flinging them backwards.

How would this be useful?

This would be useful in situations where you are being completely overwhelmed, and you can simply pop out a force shield to heal, sort your inventory, and take a breather. This would be most useful in early hard mode, especially when dealing with the underground jungle or fighting an eclipse. It might even last a few seconds during the frost or pumpkin moon, although the monsters there would rip through the weaker shields pretty quickly.

What kinds of force shields are there?

The color of the font and each shield's energy container represent the field color.

52451-bb50f92674edd54e434285460f851cbd.jpg

The Basic Force Shield
Iron_Bar.png
/
Lead_Bar.png
x10
x1

800 Health
6:00 Minutes

The cheapest, most basic force shield available. It has no special abilities other than being blue. Finding one is common.

52453-abd04a8c0a16104b1f237d71898e4f0e.jpg

The Healing Force Shield
/x10
x2
Bottled_Honey.png
x1
Regeneration_Potion.png
x1

500 Health
4:00 Minutes

Triples healing speed while inside, though has a weaker shell than most. It also speeds up the time it takes for potion sickness to go away. Triple regeneration sounds like an awful lot, but it really isn't that much. And if your using this in battle, 500 health won't last very long at all, and the field will break soon enough. It is slightly more expensive than the force shield. Finding one is uncommon.

52450-1f9f9a9ac5df42f063ec55ddff6890ef.jpg

The Fiery Force Shield
Hellstone_Bar.png
x20
x2

700 Health
1:45 Minutes

Causes anything that touches it to obtained the On Fire! debuff, and deals an additional 10 damage by default. It is a much more offensive force shield that its mostly for dealing with armies and such. Finding one is rare.

52449-be11c728f56d17d5ed6d8c25f20af643.jpg

The Armored Force Shield
Hallowed_Bar.png
x15
x3

1800 Health
8:00 Minutes

Has no current significant use, but adds a new use for hallowed bars which become very useless very quickly. It is fairly effective against moon events because of its health. Finding one is very rare.

52459-53566d5e57025ad969aea56565f9fd9d.jpg

The Regenerative Force Shield
Chlorophyte_Bar.png
x10
x3

No limit
No time limit

The regenerative force shield doesn't regenerate the players health, but infact, its own. The force shield itself is a gamble to use, as it could last a very long time, or break if it is overwhelmed. When used, it starts at 100 health and rises from there. It best used before the monsters start to arrive, so that the force shield has time to gain some health. It regens 15 health a second, and will have accumulated 1000 health in the first minute. The problem with this shield is that it may be difficult to break because of its regenerative property. But as stated in the beginning players deal quadruple damage to force shields, so they should be able to break out pretty easily. Finding one in a chest is rare.

52457-5ebbe57d1e51889b677d1d5ea2f30a5a.jpg

The Mobile Force Shield
Adamantite_Bar.png
/
Titanium_Bar.png
x15
x5

500 Health
No time limit

The mobile force shield suspends the player in the center and keeps them stuck there, though they can jump and move normally. Much smaller than regular force shields, a mere 3 blocks, so they are just big enough for the player. Their main purpose is to keep a player safe while they explore, although the player can't interact with their environment. It gives off slightly more light than most others, allowing it to be used as a torch. Liquids can enter and exit the field as they please. Thats why I have the next 2 fields. Finding one in a chest is extremely rare.

52452-d7e5b30e8b8067608ab60567339fd428.jpg

The Fluid Dispersal Bubble
Mythril_Bar.png
/
Palladium_Bar.png
x20
x5

300 Health
6 Minutes

This allows for a base to be constructed underwater if need be. It creates a "bubble" around the player that never lets in any liquids until it gives out and explodes, which lets in the liquids it is holding back. The player can move around in it, but the shield will not move. Finding one in a chest is very rare.

52456-0271bb8db30a63c0582b5c682936649c.jpg

The Mobile Fluid Dispersal Bubble
1 Mobile Force Shield
1 Fluid Dispersal Shield
x5

600 Health
8 Minutes

The mobile fluid dispersal "bubble" allows the player to move around as they please, and push back any liquids that it encounters. The player will be suspended in the center, and can jump and move normally. This allows the player to explore the oceans and the depths of the lava oceans in hell without a care in the world. It is 5 blocks in diameter. You cannot find it in a chest.

52458-f05e42887a2620847b4c945ef3381619.jpg

The Quantum Reinforcement Shield
Shroomite_Bar.png
x10
Nanites.png
x30
x6

5000 Health
5 Minutes

A rainbow, color changing force shield that has a huge amount of health and is very expensive. It is extremely useful for the Pumpkin and Frost moons. It has no special abilities other than being very beautiful. You can not find one in a chest.

You think I didn't think of everything? THINK AGAIN​
  • Summoner Minions are all teleported inside force shields, and can not get out and won't try to shoot monsters outside.​
  • Bosses can enter and exit force shields as they please, but their minions can't.​
  • NPCs and critters can also enter and exit them as they please.​
  • If liquids are created inside force shields, they evaporate instantly.​
  • What about worms and wraiths? They will bounce right off.​
  • Other players can be inside if they are near the player when the force shield is created. The exception for this is with the mobile force shields, where any other player will be pushed aside.​
  • If the player has the horrified debuff from the wall of flesh, all force shields created by them are destroyed and they can't activate another until the horrified debuff is gone.​
  • The immobile force shields can be created anywhere except for the above property. This includes being in blocks. Blocks inside the force shields can be mined. Blocks outside can not be mined.​
  • If the force shield is mobile, then it can not be created unless it has the require space available.​

Last edited:
what about npcs? like the merchant what if I want to buy stuff but it just pushes my npcs away
Thats all you have to say? -.- Anyways no it doesn't affect npc's and they can enter and exit as they please. This is the only thing that comes to mind? Can you leave an actual review please?

Why make the crafting recipe require Souls if it can be found pre-hardmode?

EDIT:
How can boss mobs, such as the Wall of Flesh be repelled?
Second, what effect does lava have on the shield? If one was to jump into lava, then activate it, would the lava around the player be destroyed, and would you fall down into the lava?

Finally, what is the downside to letting the shield get destroyed? I feel that it could potentially do some self-damage to the player, in order to prevent a player from summoning minions, activating it, and constantly using the shield to escape damages while a herd of minions chip away at enemies. Because as it is, there is no downside to using one of these.

If they can be found literally anywhere underground, you can get a stack of these shields, and simply keep using them in between potion sickness, debuffs, etc. One solution to this I can see is to make the default shield freeze the player inside the bubble with no change to regeneration of health, mana, or other buffs/debuffs. The only thing that should be unlocked is your inventory, and perhaps the ability to use potions.

Last edited:
Why make the crafting recipe require Souls if it can be found pre-hardmode?

EDIT:
How can boss mobs, such as the Wall of Flesh be repelled?
Second, what effect does lava have on the shield? If one was to jump into lava, then activate it, would the lava around the player be destroyed, and would you fall down into the lava?

Finally, what is the downside to letting the shield get destroyed? I feel that it could potentially do some self-damage to the player, in order to prevent a player from summoning minions, activating it, and constantly using the shield to escape damages while a herd of minions chip away at enemies. Because as it is, there is no downside to using one of these.

If they can be found literally anywhere underground, you can get a stack of these shields, and simply keep using them in between potion sickness, debuffs, etc. One solution to this I can see is to make the default shield freeze the player inside the bubble with no change to regeneration of health, mana, or other buffs/debuffs. The only thing that should be unlocked is your inventory, and perhaps the ability to use potions.

1. So that it can't be farmed easily. Hardmode stuff is more difficult to obtain, and makes it impossible to farm pre hard mode.
2. Lava has no affect on the shield, and will go right through. The fluid dispersal shield won't let ANY liquids inside. All other shields will let liquids inside.
3. The downside to losing a shield is that it is destroyed. Most of them are rare or expensive. It's one use, like I highlighted. ONE USE
4. I Already said, the minions are teleported inside the shield and won't attack anything outside.
5. They're rare. I only stated places where they COULD be found. And there is only 1 per chest.

All this stuff was already said! Read closer before making a huge list of "Problems"

1. So that it can't be farmed easily. Hardmode stuff is more difficult to obtain, and makes it impossible to farm pre hard mode.
2. Lava has no affect on the shield, and you will fall right through the lava as if it weren't there. The lava will be simply pushed aside
3. The downside to losing a shield is that it is destroyed. Most of them are rare or expensive. It's one use, like I highlighted. ONE USE
4. I Already said, the minions are teleported inside the shield and won't attack anything outside.
5. They're rare. I only stated places where they COULD be found. And there is only 1 per chest.

All this stuff was already said! Read closer before making a huge list of "Problems"

Okay, first, what I meant is that it would make more sense to use something other than souls of might, especially when you have to beat the Destroyer to get an item that can possibly be obtained in the first 10 minutes of the game. RNG shouldn't equal Balance between modes.

Second, what I meant is, what's to stop someone from accumulating a ton of these, either by going to multiple worlds, crafting a bunch in hardmode and putting them in a starting world, or by TEdit? Is there a cooldown between uses of the shield? Or can you use one immediately after one dies?

Also, what I meant about the lava is if the character will sink to the bottom of the bubble that is the shield in lava, or if they will stay in the middle. Like, if the bubble is tangible or not. (Can you jump in it, walk on the sides, etc.)

And finally, what will it do to the wall of flesh? Will the wall be unable to move forward? or will it simply move on without you?

That's what I intended to say, sorry if I was unclear.

Okay, first, what I meant is that it would make more sense to use something other than souls of might, especially when you have to beat the Destroyer to get an item that can possibly be obtained in the first 10 minutes of the game. RNG shouldn't equal Balance between modes.

Second, what I meant is, what's to stop someone from accumulating a ton of these, either by going to multiple worlds, crafting a bunch in hardmode and putting them in a starting world, or by TEdit? Is there a cooldown between uses of the shield? Or can you use one immediately after one dies?

Also, what I meant about the lava is if the character will sink to the bottom of the bubble that is the shield in lava, or if they will stay in the middle. Like, if the bubble is tangible or not. (Can you jump in it, walk on the sides, etc.)

And finally, what will it do to the wall of flesh? Will the wall be unable to move forward? or will it simply move on without you?

That's what I intended to say, sorry if I was unclear.

Nothing stops players from accumulating them other than rarity. There is no cool down. In the force shield you can move all around.
However you did bring up 2 good points that the wall of flesh would be a problem, and one I came up with while reading, which is that the field that prevents liquids from entering doesn't actually move. Thanks for being more specific.

Firstly, I would like to point out that if the force shield is measured in ten blocks of circumference, it would only have a diameter of 3 blocks, very tight space indeed.

Second, I would either consider excluding them from pre-Hardmode or making pre-Hardmode exclusive ones since the ones currently seems to be balanced for Hardmode, only. Adding the current ones to pre-Hardmode might make the game altogether too easy. You might counter-argue with, it's only rarely found in Pre-HM, though. Rarity does NOT balance stuff in the game.

So, either make new ones for Pre-HM, or remove from said phase completely.

Firstly, I would like to point out that if the force shield is measured in ten blocks of circumference, it would only have a diameter of 3 blocks, very tight space indeed.

Second, I would either consider excluding them from pre-Hardmode or making pre-Hardmode exclusive ones since the ones currently seems to be balanced for Hardmode, only. Adding the current ones to pre-Hardmode might make the game altogether too easy. You might counter-argue with, it's only rarely found in Pre-HM, though. Rarity does NOT balance stuff in the game.

So, either make new ones for Pre-HM, or remove from said phase completely.

Sorry for the circumference thing, that was a typo I couldn't find. And about the rarity thing, I'll see to that too. ;)

Can a boss do damage to the player?
The Mobile Fluid Dispersal Bubble would push back any liquids, but what if its a cave full of (lets say) water?

Can a boss do damage to the player?
The Mobile Fluid Dispersal Bubble would push back any liquids, but what if its a cave full of (lets say) water?

The boss can go right through the force shield.
What do you mean? If you mean you activate it while in the water, all the liquid inside evaporates. If your running around in a cave full of water, the water will be dispersed. Like a submarine. :3

The boss can go right through the force shield.
What do you mean? If you mean you activate it while in the water, all the liquid inside evaporates. If your running around in a cave full of water, the water will be dispersed. Like a submarine. :3
I see so it doesnt damage the player and yes i was wondering what would happen if you activate it in the water

I see so it doesnt damage the player and yes i was wondering what would happen if you activate it in the water

No the boss can damage the player inside the bubble, they can go right through. But nothing else can. (Monsters, other players, projectiles, etc)

No the boss can damage the player inside the bubble, they can go right through. But nothing else can. (Monsters, other players, projectiles, etc)
Well then that changes everything
How would this be at our advantage if we battle a boss?
im sure he would damage us more that any regen would heal us

Amazing ideas, like most of yours, but I feel that it does need some balancing in order to be entirely plausible - diamonds are a real :red: to get at any point in the game besides endgame with a shroomite digging claw/picksaw, and you could get lucky with world-gen. I do love lots of the ideas however, especially that fire force shield. Lots of people would want this, but perhaps not in the exact way you say. Perhaps use wires to gate it to post-skeletron (I think it would start to become useful then, with the dungeon being difficult and all)?

Back
Top Bottom