**REPORTED** [Mobile] (with controller) Using "Research" more than once on mobile Journey Mode crashes the game, help?

EchoFoxtrot57

Terrarian
Mobile OS
iOS 14.4
I was trying to test some weapons, then I made a new world on journey mode, used the "Research" on my controller, and when I Research a second item, the game crashes. I don't know how to fix this issue.

I was trying to test some weapons, then I made a new world on journey mode, used the "Research" on my controller, and when I Research a second item, the game crashes. I don't know how to fix this issue.
Hi there @EchoFoxtrot57 - Does this happen every time? Or has it happened only one time?

i had this exact same issue during version 1.4.3, they had later patched it in a hotfox before 1.4.4, this bug might have resurfaced due to new content and game mechanics, tho i havent had the issue since 1.4.3, so it might be touchscreen specific controls rather than controller

Hi there @EchoFoxtrot57 - Does this happen every time? Or has it happened only one time?
I was checking out to see what the issue was, the game crashes when I research more than 1 Item, when the item being researched is completely researched, even if I save the game, load world up, research, if the item is being completely researched, itll crash, and sometimes work, but no matter what, the cycle of game crashing always happens

I was checking out to see what the issue was, the game crashes when I research more than 1 Item, when the item being researched is completely researched, even if I save the game, load world up, research, if the item is being completely researched, itll crash, and sometimes work, but no matter what, the cycle of game crashing always happens
ye there is actually a controls issue, that was the case for the crash in the last version, which happened to be the quick key for Research (controller and touch). perhaps use the seperate page layout boun to the inventory menu rather than tapping the Research button? i'll look further into this later today for any definite causes

ye there is actually a controls issue, that was the case for the crash in the last version, which happened to be the quick key for Research (controller and touch). perhaps use the seperate page layout boun to the inventory menu rather than tapping the Research button? i'll look further into this later today for any definite causes
Separate page layout bound? I have L3 bound to Research, I don't use touch controls at all, honestly, but thanks, I'll look at the controls and see what I can change around

Separate page layout bound? I have L3 bound to Research, I don't use touch controls at all, honestly, but thanks, I'll look at the controls and see what I can change around
there's your issue, dont use the Research binding, thats what causes it to crash, its a controller issue, tbh its the exact same issue that was present in 1.4.3. just use the Research section on an Inventory Page, i use that to stop crashes, that and its faster to research items too

there's your issue, dont use the Research binding, thats what causes it to crash, its a controller issue, tbh its the exact same issue that was present in 1.4.3. just use the Research section on an Inventory Page, i use that to stop crashes, that and its faster to research items too
Oh, I'll unbound that asap, thank you so much for that information c:

Good to know, I'm strictly a mobile player, thanks again, have a good weekend 😁
ok after further testing, it seems to instantly crash upon first attempt for iOS mobile, i noticed it behaved weirdly on PS4 when i repeated the same method, what it appears to do is it switches to wirld but is still in inventory, the controls fight with one another til the game can no longer handle the input, resulting in the game crashing itself

ok after further testing, it seems to instantly crash upon first attempt for iOS mobile, i noticed it behaved weirdly on PS4 when i repeated the same method, what it appears to do is it switches to wirld but is still in inventory, the controls fight with one another til the game can no longer handle the input, resulting in the game crashing itself
It no longer crashes for me, I took your advice, I switch to touch controls, and research stuff, and I can research as much as I want, then I use my controller to play with controller again, I guess I'll have to wait on an update or just revert to touch controls method of researching everytime

It no longer crashes for me, I took your advice, I switch to touch controls, and research stuff, and I can research as much as I want, then I use my controller to play with controller again, I guess I'll have to wait on an update or just revert to touch controls method of researching everytime
you can still use controller, just add the Research Page to the page layouts and use that instead of the hotkey (see below attachment for a better understanding of what i mean)
70278FCF-72FE-4AFD-862F-7AF013BFC17F.png

P.S: im using controller, i just hide the button icons from the UI.

I was able to reproduce this and it’s been reported. With a controller being used solely, if you try to research an item without having the Research option included in a Page Group, the game will crash.

Two workarounds:
1. Use touch screen to research
-OR-
2. Add the Research option to a Page Group, and you’re able to use the controller to research items.

1AEEFBB8-0441-490E-AA77-8828664B4949.jpeg

I was able to reproduce this and it’s been reported. With a controller being used solely, if you try to research an item without having the Research option included in a Page Group, the game will crash.

Two workarounds:
1. Use touch screen to research
-OR-
2. Add the Research option to a Page Group, and you’re able to use the controller to research items.

View attachment 386226
This issue has been resolved in the v1.4.4.9.5 Build 1081 update. You are now able to Research items with the direct bind without the need of the Research Page being added to an existing Page Group. :)

Back
Top Bottom