Other Literature The Somewhat-Brief Lore Thread of an Exceedingly Distant System

Hello! This is basically the thread used to explain the lore of me and and the planets near me.

My star and the seven planets around it (you could call us siblings) were formed around 7.6 billion years ago. My star is extremely cold, and is only about the size of Jupiter, but is a lot times heavier.

Anyways, the first of these planets is me, TRAPPIST-1b. I’m a scorching hot planet with absolutely no atmosphere. A lost cause. I’m like my system’s Mercury, but, instead of being small, I’m around the size of Earth.

The second of us is TRAPPIST-1c. He has a thick atmosphere of carbon dioxide, like Venus. And sometimes the temperatures on him can even be higher than the temperatures on me. I’m friends with him.

The third of us is TRAPPIST-1d. She’s like TRAPPIST-1c, in that she’s also like Venus and has a thick carbon dioxide atmosphere, but she’s quite a bit smaller than the rest of us (except for TRAPPIST-1h, who’s the most distant of us all — I’ll get to him later). I’m also friends with her.

The fourth of us is TRAPPIST-1e. He’s practically the Earth of our system, and I hate him. He’s arrogant and thinks he’s special and better than us just because intelligent life managed to evolve on him. They’re now extinct due to some war they had long ago, but he ignores that. He still has life on him, and he thinks that one day another intelligent species will evolve from him.

The fifth of us is TRAPPIST-1f. She’s friends with TRAPPIST-1e, and I hate her just about as much too. TRAPPIST-1f has an ocean with a couple of icy patches. Life has also evolved on her, although most of it is just pretty much bacteria and lichen. Long ago, she had a thriving amount of alien fish and creatures, but a meteor impact caused the oceans to be polluted with dust and killed off almost all of the fish. She’s now quite bitter because of that, and can’t seem to get over it.

The sixth of us is TRAPPIST-1g. I’m friends with him, and he’s a bit colder than TRAPPIST-1f. He had life once evolve on him, producing oxygen as a waste product just like how cyanobacteria did on Earth, but it ended up producing too much and died out. He still manages to be cheery and happy despite that happening, and I don’t know how. He still has a thick atmosphere of oxygen. He also has a subsurface ocean that is protected by a thick ice layer.

Finally, the seventh of us is TRAPPIST-1h. He’s the smallest of us, and he’s been depressed a lot. He thinks all of us are rather interesting while he’s just boring and useless. He doesn’t like talking to any of us. He has a decent-sized atmosphere of methane, and not much else.

So that’s us. Astronomers first discovered me and TRAPPIST-1c in 2016, and then my other five siblings in 2017. Right now, especially because of TRAPPIST-1e, astronomers are super intrigued by me and my siblings. And we’re also very compact for a system, with the distances between each of my siblings not being very large. So compact in fact, that it’s often likened to Jupiter and how close its moons orbit. TRAPPIST-1 also is a system with some of the most planets ever discovered, compared to Sol, Earth’s system, with eight planets.

Last edited:
they only include Latin alphabet letters to show how far away they were
Screenshot_20231029-144752~2.png

dang it, not a letter

Is there anything beyond h, hiding in the darkness?
There's a large dwarf planet around the same size as Earth's moon that has an orbit that very briefly goes inside the orbit of TRAPPIST-1h. When our solar system was formed, there were a few planets that didn't gradually get closer to our star and instead drifted out, and we unfortunately never saw them again. I think this is one of those protoplanets.

Back
Top Bottom