[All Versions] I am writing a review of Terraria and its progression throughout the years (and I want to hear your opinions).

Is Terraria Better Than Minecraft?

• Yes

• No

• no..

Results are only viewable after voting.

TUMM11

Wall of Flesh
Hi everyone, TUMM11 here!
As the title states, I am currently in the process of writing a formal review of Terraria, and I would like to hear what you, the community, thinks about the game as it currently stands and how you feel the many changes throughout the years have shaped the game into its current form we know today. I recently realized that a significant portion of my life has been spent absorbing myself into this game, so as a tribute to the dev's countless number of restless nights carefully constructing this game I feel a sense of duty to give something back to the community.
I think a major part of enjoying this game comes from its community, so I would also like to hear about how your opinions about the game. What do you think was the most influential moment in Terraria's development? What single change influenced you the most? How do you like to play? What version of the game do you play? I want to hear any and every thought you have about this game.

Been playing since 1.1.

For me, 1.2 was the most influential moment for Terraria. Might be because I was a kid and felt time differently, but in 1.1 I saw Terraria as stationary, as a finished product. 1.2 and every subsequent update changed that. The addition of Crimson, alternative ores, all the QoL changes. For me, new content in Terraria felt *crazy* at the time.

A few years ago I tried out some adventure maps and got really inspired by it so I started making maps of my own, and then gradually played less of the actual game and spent more time creating worlds for others to (hopefully, eventually) explore. Right now I spend the vast majority of my time making adventure maps (projects tend to fizzle out before I finish them though) so I generally play whatever's the latest ModLoader version with cheat mods installed.

When I play the actual game I usually play vanilla Master Mode, hopefully with a friend or two. There are so many playstyles, seeds, mods and whatnot that I haven't even touched yet!

For a very long time, to me, Terraria was a giant ball of potential. 🤔 🍵

Something weird happened though that doesn't normally happen with other videogames. The Devs started changing the game from what it was, to what it could be! This is typically a task left up to Modders and Lore Masters, who become the defacto "customer support team", just because of the Devs having likely moved on to something else [which isn't always their fault, or bad].

I never thought that I would enjoy pre-Harmode Adventuring in this game, ever [Terraria], it honestly felt like a reach to expect anything else than quality of life improvements, a few new interesting items and "more stuff for stuff's sake", but that's not what we got, we got passionate Devs that started treating the game like obsessive, lore-loyal, expert-level, experience crafters [similar to high-quality Skyrim Mods].

What's even more surprising, is that my vision for this game was to be represented by elaborate [see, this is what you can do with this game] builds that pushed Terraria to it's very limit! However, the Devs had that and more in mind with the overhaul to Township/ Homestead support and mechanics [pre-Hardmode Teleporters and all].

To wrap-it-all-up so this doesn't get too long, I never imagined that Terraria would get an "official overhaul" [that was supposed to be my job, right??]. This is a rather new thing we're seeing [No Man's Sky, Smash Ultimate, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 76] and I trust it'll be a trend that continues!

Side Note: I rated Terraria 10/10 with the 1.4 update, after receiving several more updates, it currently sits at 12/10 in my book.

Back
Top Bottom