Game Mechanics Changes to the NPCs' Housing System! (Expert Mode)

TheOneAndOnlyAeris

Skeletron Prime
Simply, in Expert Mode worlds, you have to have a specific block, or decoration item to be able to get an NPC to move in.
You can add on other decoration items to those needed, such as a Furnace to a Guide's house, which does not need a Furnace. (See below)
All of the decoration items can be made of any material, such as a table made out of Boreal Wood can be fitted into a house with other woods, or materials.

To explain in a simpler way:

The Guide's house:indifferent: must require at least a workbench, a table, a chair, one light source and a door.

And so on.

The Merchant::merchantindifferent:
A chest, a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Nurse::nurse:
A bed, a table, a light source and a door. *A chair is now optional, as the bed replaces a chair*

The Dye Trader:
A dye-making item (Like a Teal Mushroom, being placed in the room), a table, a chair and a door.

The Demolitionist:
A keg, a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Dryad::dryadindifferent:
An animal containing item (Cages, Butterfly jars, Jellyfish jars, or Fish Bowls), a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Arms Dealer:
A target dummy, a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Stylist:
A dresser, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Painter:
A table, a chair, a light source, a painting (From an underground house, or the dungeon, or etc.) and a door.

The Angler:
A crate, a table, a chair, a chandelier and a door.

The Goblin Tinkerer:
A Tinkerer's Workshop (Bought when finding him underground)/A sawmill, a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Witch Doctor:
A Cooking Pot/Cauldron, a table, a chair and a door.

The Clothier:
A mannequin/womannequin, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Mechanic:
A pressure plate, a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Party Girl:
A disco ball, two different light sources of different materials, a table, a chair and a door.

The Pirate::pirateindifferent:
A barrel, a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Truffle:
(All must be made of Glowing Mushroom)
A piano, a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Wizard:
A bookshelf, a table, a chair, a light source and a door

The Steampunker:`:indifferent:
A trophy, a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Cyborg:
A special crafting station (Any), a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

The Tax Collector:
A coin pile (gold/platinum coins), a table, a chair, a light source and a door.

Thanks for reading. Suggestions to what should be added would be appreciated. Please give constructive criticism! :nymph: OR ELSE!!!

Edits made:

I don't think the guide's house should require any specific item (especially considering he's already there when you begin the game). Unless you're implying the guide shouldn't be present at world-start and must ALSO be acquired?

Anyway, I think it should be limited to one special furniture item per NPC. As an example...

For the Nurse? Simply a bed. I always think of the bed as the symbolic nurse furniture. After all, where will her patients lay down while she's treating them? Not to mention it's really handy to have her stationed at a respawn point so you can get treatment immediately upon returning to base.

Of course she also requires a flat surface, walls, doors, etc all the normal stuff you'd need for a valid house. But instead of chairs you'd put a bed in there.

All NPCs have now changed to only having one required item for their houses, with the Party Girl being a special case, requiring different light sources still.

As for the Goblin Tinkerer, you could easily screw yourself if he were to die in a cave without you buying a Tinkerer's Workshop...

The Goblin Tinkerer has been changed to only need a Tinkerer's Workshop OR Sawmill.

Last edited:
I don't think the guide's house should require any specific item (especially considering he's already there when you begin the game). Unless you're implying the guide shouldn't be present at world-start and must ALSO be acquired?

Anyway, I think it should be limited to one special furniture item per NPC. As an example...

For the Nurse? Simply a bed. I always think of the bed as the symbolic nurse furniture. After all, where will her patients lay down while she's treating them? Not to mention it's really handy to have her stationed at a respawn point so you can get treatment immediately upon returning to base.

Of course she also requires a flat surface, walls, doors, etc all the normal stuff you'd need for a valid house. But instead of chairs you'd put a bed in there.

I find this idea interesting but it's way too complex and I dont completely like it.
The first reason I dont like it is because I dont build at all when playing expert mode. Maybe just the occasional farm for one specific item but other than that my houses are boxes. This is because, in my opinion, expert mode is made for the challenge of PvE while normal mode is made for having fun in every way possible, including building.
I still have to admit that your idea is very interesting and well done, good job.

I agree. If it was simpler, it could work. I personally wish Terraria would encourage bigger builds for NPC homes, even outside of Expert mode, but this could essentially mess up MANY worlds, so I guess that's one reason that this is an Expert mode suggestion.

As for the Goblin Tinkerer, you could easily screw yourself if he were to die in a cave without you buying a Tinkerer's Workshop...

Ah.

What I meant, is that the guide would only move into a house with a workbench, so the first house must contain a workbench.

limited to one special furniture item per NPC. As an example...

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll make the change.

The first reason I dont like it is because I dont build at all when playing expert mode. Maybe just the occasional farm for one specific item but other than that my houses are boxes. This is because, in my opinion, expert mode is made for the challenge of PvE while normal mode is made for having fun in every way possible, including building.

Each of the decoration items are needed in order to progress in the game in a way. For example, the Nurse receives a bed, that can also be used as a spawn point, meaning progress in the game. Items such as a Chandelier or a Statue can be commonly found underground. You will receive Trophies occasionally, so placing a trophy for the Steampunker wouldn't be that bad. If you think anything should be changed, such as the items needed, you can just make a suggestion in reply to this post.
As for my decision of making this an expert mode only part of the game, it is because as much as Expert mode emphasizes PvE, I think it should also open up to those who would like a challenge even in small details such as building. I do think that this would change the aspect of building in Terraria, but I also think that Terraria players need to learn all features of the game, even the minute features, like building.

I agree. If it was simpler, it could work. I personally wish Terraria would encourage bigger builds for NPC homes, even outside of Expert mode, but this could essentially mess up MANY worlds, so I guess that's one reason that this is an Expert mode suggestion.

I think that "bigger builds" wouldn't be the exact term, but I do wish that Terraria would encourage more building for simple things such as NPC homes, as I am a builder myself, and would like it so that NPC homes were not just made into simple hotels, but homes that personalize each NPC as a person, and not just as a tool. Is that a little too deep? xD
Also, as for the Goblin Tinkerer, I might change that, since the Goblin Tinkerer won't spawn again if he dies in a cave, thus making it inconvenient. But I have no ideas, so suggestions please? I think that the Tinkerer's Workshop is a very important crafting station, and now with being able to use money straight from the piggy bank, I don't think anyone would miss out on buying a Tinkerer's Workshop as soon as they can. Maybe this suggestion can also promote saving money? xD
Or the developers can code in a system where if the Goblin Tinkerer dies without a suitable housing present, he will respawn without problems somewhere else in the world.
EDIT:
As for that, I found a handy solution in no time at all! xD

More suggestions and constructive/productive criticism please! ^^

Last edited:
It's a little complicated, and those who play terraria expert mode without any experience will have a very hard time.

I dont think people without experience play expert mode. I mean, even the name states that you need experience.
Some people might approach it like I did with WarFrame.

"Loki, huh? Advanced frame for advanced players, huh? Well, this is my first time playing this particular game but I ALREADY KNOW I'm a badass mofo. Also I want the invis and switch teleport those sound like hella fun. Gonna stealth the :red: outta this b**ch."

*Proceeds to die 50 times over.*

And sometimes it's not even an ego thing. Some people just consider it logically.

"If I expose myself to the hardest difficulty setting right away, it will be grueling and I'll possibly die a lot, but as a human I'll adapt more easily if I accept it as the norm, rather than building myself up from the easier settings."

It's a little complicated, and those who play terraria expert mode without any experience will have a very hard time.
I agree with Davidciano. A person without experience shouldn't start with Expert Mode. Especially for Terraria. My hardmode character almost got killed by a Eye of Cthulhu while playing Expert Mode. I don't think people without experience should even touch Expert Mode, until they at least recognize most of the items, and where they are found. Most items, not all.
Though, if anyone goes with this approach:
Well, this is my first time playing this particular game but I ALREADY KNOW I'm a badass mofo.
Well, either they are :red:ed, or like DJFlare said,
And sometimes it's not even an ego thing. Some people just consider it logically.

"If I expose myself to the hardest difficulty setting right away, it will be grueling and I'll possibly die a lot, but as a human I'll adapt more easily if I accept it as the norm, rather than building myself up from the easier settings."
They might be really smart, but I think that only 5% of the whole human population will try that. So eh.

This doesn't make gameplay hard it makes it annoying. Sorry but no support
Each of the decoration items are needed in order to progress in the game in a way. For example, the Nurse receives a bed, that can also be used as a spawn point, meaning progress in the game. Items such as a Chandelier or a Statue can be commonly found underground. You will receive Trophies occasionally, so placing a trophy for the Steampunker wouldn't be that bad. If you think anything should be changed, such as the items needed, you can just make a suggestion in reply to this post.
As for my decision of making this an expert mode only part of the game, it is because as much as Expert mode emphasizes PvE, I think it should also open up to those who would like a challenge even in small details such as building. I do think that this would change the aspect of building in Terraria, but I also think that Terraria players need to learn all features of the game, even the minute features, like building.
What I posted will remain my opinion upon why I decided to suggest this.

You say that this would make it annoying, but not hard? How so? (This isn't sarcasm or any sort of thing to start a flame war over, please don't. This is a legitimate question.) Your opinion is much different from mine, so I would like to know your reasons behind your opinion. (Yet again, I respect your opinion, and I don't want to start a flame war.)
Anyway, isn't most things (except getting rare drops xD) annoying in Expert Mode? Tfw I get my :red: handed to me by a Slime or some :red: in expert mode.

Well, personally I like to choose on my own what decoration and items suits which npcs. It make housing more demanding, that's fine but it's also forcing me to include things I don't want and limiting my building freedom. That's why no support from me

A mushroom piano is obvious...?
The Truffle is playing a piano, obviously. xD

Well, personally I like to choose on my own what decoration and items suits which npcs. It make housing more demanding, that's fine but it's also forcing me to include things I don't want and limiting my building freedom. That's why no support from me
Well, I said that what is needed is usually themed with the NPC and is needed to progress in the game, or is a dropped object or found object that you will hardly miss. But your opinion still stands, and it kind of does limit your building freedom, if you do not want to include these in a house. But then again, this is in Expert Mode only, so eh.

Expert mode is expert mode so, it should challenge you -even with NPC housing. I usually make custom homes for my NPCs... for fun. Right now I'm making a large (ish) home for each of my NPCs on one of my worlds. Love the idea!

I like the idea, makes sense since i feel like this would remove the possibility for the small tall-but-short boxes people build, and force more creative solutions to houses. Since you must be very skilled to fit a work bench, a chair, and a sawmill into a 3 block wide box. (Door isnt needed since the platform trick).

I really like the idea of specific npc conditions, why would they move in if they did not like the house. This to me makes the npc's more enjoyable and gives the player a lot more control in who spawns where, I dont know about anyone else but im fed up with my room being taken by an npc xD I always have to stop what im doing to change their room.

This really adds character to each npc and potentially opens it up further for more npc specific furniture, hospital bed/iv drain, merchants traveler trunk, driads bonsai tree... The possibilities are endless.

You have my bunny seal of approval.
(\___/)
(=^-^=)
(")__(")

Back
Top Bottom