Weapons & Equip Earlygame Summoners- My Solution

How about a brain staff? Summons a zombie that does 8 damage, has a 16 attack rate and looks like a slime staff with a brain stabbed through the end.
Brain would have a 1/30 chance drop from zombie, and could be used at an anvil with 30 wood to make the staff.

I totally agree with you on the problem that early summoners have, and that something needs to be done about it... However Slime Staff is NOT the only option at the beginning.

I did my Summoner playthrough by geting the Reaver Shark from the ocean, and tunneling my way to the underworld for an Imp Staff. It was quite an experience really. I'm just annoyed by people so regularly not considering all possibilities, especially when they don't immediately come to mind.

@Tetrazile
Excuse me? Read the above post before posting something like that. Description is very clear, as is rarity. Also it's not my job to make the staff anyway, this was an idea.

How about we replace the current slime staff with a Pinky Slime staff, that summons friendly Pinky's to fight for you.
1c2fabd992.png
The damage for that could be between hornet and Imp, since you're really not likely to find it Pre-Skeletron.

Then we could add the normal Slime Staff as a chest item like the Rod of Sparking. I don't think this would unbalance things very much, and would give a quicker option to beginner summoners than getting a Reaver Shark and going straight for the Imp (which then makes Slime and Hornet obsolete from the very beginning anyway. :<)

Alternatively, what about a set of Slime Armor? Have it cost about 100 gels, have maybe a defense of 3 (Maybe less? I dunno), and a set bonus of "Press Down twice to summon a single Baby Spiked Slime sentinel" Said spiked slime could do about 3 summon damage per hit with a fire rate somewhere between the Hornet and the Queen Spider.
(Maybe something like this?
68c36755a6.png
I dunno. I'm new to trying to design things for this awesome game. xD)

How about we replace the current slime staff with a Pinky Slime staff, that summons friendly Pinky's to fight for you.
1c2fabd992.png
The damage for that could be between hornet and Imp, since you're really not likely to find it Pre-Skeletron.

Then we could add the normal Slime Staff as a chest item like the Rod of Sparking. I don't think this would unbalance things very much, and would give a quicker option to beginner summoners than getting a Reaver Shark and going straight for the Imp (which then makes Slime and Hornet obsolete from the very beginning anyway. :<)

Alternatively, what about a set of Slime Armor? Have it cost about 100 gels, have maybe a defense of 3 (Maybe less? I dunno), and a set bonus of "Press Down twice to summon a single Baby Spiked Slime sentinel" Said spiked slime could do about 3 summon damage per hit with a fire rate somewhere between the Hornet and the Queen Spider.
68c36755a6.png

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted lol.

Well except the slime armor, but that's a great idea too.

1c2fabd992.png

68c36755a6.png
Yes, this is exactly what I wanted lol.

Well except the slime armor, but that's a great idea too.
I realize that this is a completely reasonable idea. My only problem with it: things like it have been done before. I don't want to take anyone else's idea. Had i known how little support this thread would receive i never would have made it to begin with.

I realize that this is a completely reasonable idea. My only problem with it: things like it have been done before. I don't want to take anyone else's idea. Had i known how little support this thread would receive i never would have made it to begin with.

Hmmm, that may be true, but it does bear repeating!
A simple fix for this would probably be to just merge this thread with one that suggests what we have that already exists. :3
After all, beginner summoners are up a creek if they aren't willing to use magic! :< I should know, I wanted to do an all-summoner run, but it turns out there's not a whole lot in the way of starter summoner weapons other than the super rare staff and the Slime mount. :< (The run then evolved into a mage run since I already had 200 mp at the time.)

Slime Staff is unacceptably rare for a pure summoner playthrough. While it is a bit OP first starting off, it is useless after the beginning tier and it is their only option at the start.

Turning the Slime Staff into a craftable weapon like what this suggestion is aiming for would completely fix this problem, and it should be just Gel and Wood and no metal shenanigans. It should be almost immediately available from the start with no strings attached.

Slime Staff is unacceptably rare for a pure summoner playthrough. While it is a bit OP first starting off, it is useless after the beginning tier and it is their only option at the start.

Turning the Slime Staff into a craftable weapon like what this suggestion is aiming for would completely fix this problem, and it should be just Gel and Wood and no metal shenanigans. It should be almost immediately available from the start with no strings attached.

Exactly. This is why I said to make the rare slime staff the "PInky Staff" while making the current one either craftable, or found in surface chests like the rod of sparking. Plus, I'd love to have an army of cute little happy pink slimes running around with me. x3

65f7485b2f.png

Exactly. This is why I said to make the rare slime staff the "PInky Staff" while making the current one either craftable, or found in surface chests like the rod of sparking. Plus, I'd love to have an army of cute little happy pink slimes running around with me. x3

65f7485b2f.png
Those slimes look like the were made 1x1 pixels. If you make them 2x2, it'll look more like the game.

On that token, then the Pinky staff shouldn't be that much more powerful than a regular slime staff and definitely not between Hornet and Imp Staves. The average player is unlikely to obtain it before Skeletron at all, but what about the players who obtain it early on like myself once? Should they be allowed to just rip through everything up until the Dungeon just because RNG decided that they get the staff early? Note that not even the Enchanted Sword that might not even appear in any given world is a gamebreaker for its tier. Extreme rarity should not warrant a Dungeon-tiered drop being part of the drop pools of mobs you encounter in the first few minutes of the game.

Those slimes look like the were made 1x1 pixels. If you make them 2x2, it'll look more like the game.

I know, but pinky actually is a 1x1 sprite. He's just a bit bigger than mine, ha ha.

On that token, then the Pinky staff shouldn't be that much more powerful than a regular slime staff and definitely not between Hornet and Imp Staves. The average player is unlikely to obtain it before Skeletron at all, but what about the players who obtain it early on like myself once? Should they be allowed to just rip through everything up until the Dungeon just because RNG decided that they get the staff early? Note that not even the Enchanted Sword that might not even appear in any given world is a gamebreaker for its tier. Extreme rarity should not warrant a Dungeon-tiered drop being part of the drop pools of mobs you encounter in the first few minutes of the game.

Hmm, true. Perhaps the Pinky staff could have some other bonus, and keep it's strength of the default slime staff. Like, maybe it would have, by default, +1 minion, so no matter how many other minions you have, you can have a pinky out with you if you wanted to. :3

Another thread proposed giving it a super strong knock-back, which seems fitting for the "bouncy" theme. Though I'm not really sure how helpful that would be.

Katana. That thing can easily carry you through most of pre-hardmode, and it all depends on how early you can buy it from the Traveling Merchant.

Katana. That thing can easily carry you through most of pre-hardmode, and it all depends on how early you can buy it from the Traveling Merchant.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that weapon. xD It even has a chest piece to go with it until you get the Shadow Armor. (That Gi)

So perhaps my initial damage output for the Pinky Staff of about 16 summon damage is acceptable. Besides, if you do happen to get it early on, you're only going to have 1 (2 if you go fishing) minion out until you whoop the Queen Bee, and you're still going to want to get Imps to fight WoF, so it doesn't really change anything other than "Yay, I don't have to make the slime staff!" I mean, if people are already just skipping to Imp anyway in summoner playthroughs (since they just don't want to farm slimes in any way to get the first staff since you don't have access to the mechanic, so you'd have to find a trap underground, get a slime statue, maybe a bucket of lava, all while trying your hardest not to kill anything else unless you just feel you absolutely have to use non-summon damage to keep yourself alive.), then I really don't see why we can't have it like this. If it's that much of a problem, it can be made even more rare as a purely Pinky 1/10000 drop. :v

(For reference: This would make all playstyles have an amazing pre-EoW/BoC weapon. Warrior: Katana, Ranger: Gold Bow + Jester Arrows, Mage: Medusa Head (and that's 28 magic damage that's chargeable too, yeesh.) and for us, we'd get this new Pinky Staff.)

The alternative is just to make a different beginner summoner staff. One that can easily be gotten with a bit of digging, not fighting. I'm thinking... maybe a Granite staff! 15 smooth granite + 3 iron Bars. Summons a small granite elemental to fight for you. 7 summon damage. Minion floats slowly after enemies (Just like the actual elementals.)

(Maybe something like this:
de1ccb70ca.png
)

Judging by the slime staff sprite, adding copper/tin to the recipe doesn't make much sense. Perhaps, since it's a magic item, it could use fallen stars/mana crystals instead?

Back
Top Bottom