Expert Destroyer Nerf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I know what you're probably thinking. "The Destroyer doesn't need to be nerfed in expert, it's supposed to be hard, you just have to git gud!" But here's the thing, first off, I want to say that I don't want the entire Destroyer to be nerfed, just his head.

I've attempted to look up on the wiki just how much damage he does, but it hasn't been updated with that info yet. As far as I can figure out, his head does at least 200 damage.

I have tried to kill the Destroyer 3 times so far. All three times, I've had 73 defense, 81 with the iron skin. I also have the worm scarf, which supposedly negates 17% of all damage. Despite this, every fight has ended the same way. I summon him, and fight for about 3 minutes constantly keeping my health around the 2/3 mark. I get the Destroyer down to about 1/5 of his full hp, and then I stay still for just a little bit too long, he hits me with his head, and the fight and all those 3-4 minutes of work are instantly ended. (he deals 178 damage to me for those of you who are wondering).

The way I see it, even the best of the best is gonna screw up every once in a while, and I don't think that you should be punished so harshly for one misstep. I propose that the damage of the head be nerfed to around 100-130 damage. Make it to where you still feel the need to dodge the head, but not have the head insta-kill you.

End of rant.

Don't stay still for just a little too long. Problem solved! I have yet to fight him on expert, but soon! I'll probably have the same experience, but that is the point of expert mode as you already said!

I agree with his statement, I think it should be nerfed a tiny bit as that is quite a lot of damage... Despite being Expert Mode... I know it's supposed to be hard, but there's a drawn line. I mean 200 is a LOT of damage for the head. I think it should just be cut back a tiny bit- nothing major around like 185-190 so the challenge is still present and make you want to dodge the head at all cost... Actually to be honest... I don't think it really needs a nerf at all in some ways. As there are some weapons that can destroy the destroyer easily as you make sure you dodge the head at all cost.

Last edited:
You really need to just move around; if you keep the map up you can see where he is with the new icon it becomes trivial to dodge his head which as you said is doing most of the damage. Dodge the head and live.

" I get the Destroyer down to about 1/5 of his full hp, and then I stay still for just a little bit too long, he hits me with his head, and the fight and all those 3-4 minutes of work are instantly ended."

This is not The Destroyer's fault. This is your fault for as you said; staying still for just a bit too long. I'm not telling you to get better at the game; I'm just letting you know that's probably literally all you have to do. I had the same issue in Expert mode; I used the method I normally used in Normal mode (Building a small box and fighting him) That was just not possible in Expert mode. I had to adapt so I did.

I don't believe a nerf is necessarily, with beginner hardmode armor you can beat the destroyer on expert as long as you avoid the head; if anything it's still too easy.

You really need to just move around; if you keep the map up you can see where he is with the new icon it becomes trivial to dodge his head which as you said is doing most of the damage. Dodge the head and live.

" I get the Destroyer down to about 1/5 of his full hp, and then I stay still for just a little bit too long, he hits me with his head, and the fight and all those 3-4 minutes of work are instantly ended."

This is not The Destroyer's fault. This is your fault for as you said; staying still for just a bit too long. I'm not telling you to get better at the game; I'm just letting you know that's probably literally all you have to do. I had the same issue in Expert mode; I used the method I normally used in Normal mode (Building a small box and fighting him) That was just not possible in Expert mode. I had to adapt so I did.

I don't believe a nerf is necessarily, with beginner hardmode armor you can beat the destroyer on expert as long as you avoid the head; if anything it's still too easy.

Also there are some weapons that can make the fight really easy

Also there are some weapons that can make the fight really easy

Indeed; Yo-Yo's and dodging since they are ranged it's easy to take out probes while doing damage to the Destroyer; that on top of the fact that any swinging weapon along an arc of the destroyer will just decimate him since you're just about 10 segments a second per swing, get him to cross over himself with a dodge and that's 20 segments per swing. xD

OK. LETS GIVE THE DESTROYER AN ADDITIONAL 12894901848139412830712031892371203710723K HP!
-.-
"Possible" is the keyword. Giving him that much more HP would be impossible to beat in one night which is the exact opposite of what the statement you quoted had mentioned.

"Possible" is the keyword. Giving him that much more HP would be impossible to beat in one night which is the exact opposite of what the statement you quoted had mentioned.

No it wouldn't be impossible, in fact. If you manage to constantly dodge all the destroyers attacks while dealing solid DPS to him in a few years then he'll be dead, completely possible.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436207356,1436207195][/DOUBLEPOST]

In fact it is very possible. If you constantly stay at health while dealing solid dps to him he'll be dead in a few years. Possible.

And he said "as possible", meaning the only thing that limits it is the developers abilities to program.

No it wouldn't be impossible, in fact. If you manage to constantly dodge all the destroyers attacks while dealing solid DPS to him in a few years then he'll be dead, completely possible.
You only have about ten minutes to beat him. A better example would have having the lunatic cultist require that you wear molten armor or worse to start the lunar event, something that Yrimir proved was "possible".

[DOUBLEPOST=1436207356,1436207195][/DOUBLEPOST]

In fact it is very possible. If you constantly stay at health while dealing solid dps to him he'll be dead in a few years. Possible.

And he said "as possible", meaning the only thing that limits it is the developers abilities to program.
Except you don't have a few years, rather only a whole in-game night.

Nice jacob, job.

Agreed Destroyer can deal insane amounts of damage even on full defense builds, but even considering Destroyer on normal-mode can be seen by many as a boss you can do nothing but facetank due to how ridicolous its laser spams are, it's perfectly doable regardless. Altho I died multiple times, I've been hit by the head during my "winning" run , probes constant hp dropping saved my :red: multiple times. It really is a matter of keeping mobility high while killing the probes fast (an arena high enough to allow Destroyer to only occasionally reach you also helps a lot, so do covers for when he's spamming lasers). I believe 1.3 included some new weapons that do wonders against Destroyer too, still, I'd suggest to leave Destroyer last if that's not the case already. 1.2's buff to Destroyer made him one hell of an :red:.

Grab a last prism and give it a few seconds. That thing is the king of worm anihillation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom