Weapons & Equip Forest Key Mold | Where is it?

Do you think we need a Forest Key?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Golem

Skeletron Prime
Hey guys,

I have always wondered why there isn't a Forest Key Mold, it is a major biome, covers most of the world and is where most players start. The weapon would also be ranged because of the fact the Piranha Gun is fairly underpowered compared to other Chest Weapons such as the Vampire Knives.

Forest Key Mold:
Dropped by enemies in the Forest 1/2500 chance. Used to craft a Forest Key.

Forest Key:
Crafting: 1 Temple Key, 1 Forest Key Mold, 5 Souls of Fright, 5 Souls of Sight, 5 Souls of Might.
Used to open a Forest Chest.

Forest Chest:
Contains The Splinter and other random loot.

The Splinter:
58 Damage
Very Fast Speed
Weak Knockback
Uses Wood For Ammo

Wood: 7 Damage
Rich Mahogany: 8 Damage
Shadewood: 9 Damage
Ebonwood: 9 Damage
Pearlwood: 12 Damage
Spooky Wood: 17 Damage

This weapon would be an upgrade to @Crimso's Woodchipper. Thanks for reading guys if you have any questions please leave them below.

Golem

The Woodchipper: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/the-woodchipper-an-earlygame-ranged-weapon.152519/

I'd LOVE A Forest Keymold, not a super huge fan of The Splinter but I wouldn't mind it. I also think The Forest would need a serious buff, after 1.3 I intend on working on a Post-Lunar expansion for the Forest anyway :p Support!

A couple reasons why this isn't in the game:

The Forest isn't truly a "biome", its the lack of other biomes. As far as I can tell, every other biome overrides it.

Also, considering the current biome weapons:
Scourge/VK: Melee (Only one of the two available per world)
Rainbow Gun: Magic
Staff of the Frost Hydra: Magic-Summoner
Piranha Gun: Ranged

Although I guess TECHNICALLY you could argue that ranged is down by one, it'd be a pretty hard case to push...

Also; I personally don't like towing around different kinds of ammo. I usually keep two stacks of bullets, one of arrows, and one of rockets, and maybe a few special weapons/ammo in a safe. (Also, if we're assuming I'm using Pearlwood b/c I either haven't gotten to the point where I can kill a Pumpkin moon or I'm too lazy to, I'd have a pretty limited supply of ammo. Probably wouldn't last for too long, and replanting stuff is annoying.)

It also has no real "unique" features, it's just a gun that uses wood as ammo. All the other biome weapons are unlike anything else (Lifesteal Knives, Throwable homing spear/boomerang/thingy, gun that shoots a rainbow (that stays in place and does continous damage), summoning a frost monster (okay, maybe this one isn't too unique, but it's still 1/2 weapons that do this) and shooting a homing piranha that latches onto your enemies.) I don't see a reason I would actually use this.

Read the woodchipper thread; probably should have done that first. That said, assuming it works like the Woodchipper, the Splinterer is basically a modified Gatligator...

Purity, also known as forest, is lack of biome, like unoccupied territory.
The Piranha gun isn't as underpowered as you say it is, you can kill stuff without being harmed by holding mouse1 and spamming WASD+'space'.
As for the Splinter, it's nothing special, unlike the other biome chest weapons.

Purity, also known as forest, is lack of biome, like unoccupied territory.
The Piranha gun isn't as underpowered as you say it is, you can kill stuff without being harmed by holding mouse1 and spamming WASD+'space'.
As for the Splinter, it's nothing special, unlike the other biome chest weapons.
Well it wouldn't have to be the splinter in the chest, i just thought of that off the top of my head.

A weapon that uses wood is interesting, but it'd need some sort of extra uniqueness to it, like the other biome weapons. Currently, it's just a megashark/chaingun type weapon that uses wood instead.

Maybe it could break apart into multiple splinters on impact that would work like crystal bullet shards, or maybe stick into the ground and deal damage to enemies that walk over them, like spiky balls.

Also, would it be able to use dynasty wood?

A weapon that uses wood is interesting, but it'd need some sort of extra uniqueness to it, like the other biome weapons. Currently, it's just a megashark/chaingun type weapon that uses wood instead.

Maybe it could break apart into multiple splinters on impact that would work like crystal bullet shards, or maybe stick into the ground and deal damage to enemies that walk over them, like spiky balls.

Also, would it be able to use dynasty wood?
I'd imagine Dynasty Wood being similar in strength to Pearlwood or Ebonwood, but maybe with a unique special feature.

According to my own perspective, I would have to agree that the forest is simply the purity, and thus that has a long of grounds for what the biome item would be like, pure of class restrictions. But since there is no such thing as pure damage weapons, that would mean it would need to be a non-damage tool that does not spend mana (like the teleport staff, the mirror, or any light source pets) or deplete items (such as wrenches). Additionally such an item would have to be amazing and unique enough to deserve the place of being a biome weapon (tool). With all of these conditions, I don't actually have any ideas left for it.

According to my own perspective, I would have to agree that the forest is simply the purity, and thus that has a long of grounds for what the biome item would be like, pure of class restrictions. But since there is no such thing as pure damage weapons, that would mean it would need to be a non-damage tool that does not spend mana (like the teleport staff, the mirror, or any light source pets) or deplete items (such as wrenches). Additionally such an item would have to be amazing and unique enough to deserve the place of being a biome weapon (tool). With all of these conditions, I don't actually have any ideas left for it.
Actually: TECHNICALLY the Flare Gun does not have a specific damage type (marked ingame simply as "2 damage"). Though it's never counted alongside other weapons due to the fact that 2 damage is completely pointless.

Actually: TECHNICALLY the Flare Gun does not have a specific damage type (marked ingame simply as "2 damage"). Though it's never counted alongside other weapons due to the fact that 2 damage is completely pointless.
The Flare Gun itself defaults on something in the above list as well. Having an advanced flare that throws 100% light in a full screen radius thus wouldn't fit the above conditions because it depletes items on use (a property associated with ranged exclusive items). Additionally, just cause it says that doesn't mean it might not simply be a typo.

However finally, yes. If there was an unclassed weapon that honestly felt like a mid-way blend on all four classes, doing unclassed damage, that could suit this remarkably well. Thinking of what that could be however remains an issue.

My only problem with that is that Snow has its own biome chest, and the Snow biome is restored by Green Solution too.

Like the others have said, the Forest is a lack of biome. It doesn't need a key. Also, I dont think the woodchipper is something forest related. More like something that destroys the forest.

Sorry but no support.

My only problem with that is that Snow has its own biome chest, and the Snow biome is restored by Green Solution too.
Oh that wasn't me trying to qualify the need for such a key at all, it was my analysis of what this line of thought would bring everything to. Basically saying that, even with consideration of such a key, the weapon mentioned doesn't fit any of the required qualifications either. After all, otherwise the discussion could turn to applying this to other perceptions of similar grounds, such as the desert or the ocean, or possibly the sky or the underworld, but really none of those stand out far enough. Not only is it actually hard to figure out a suitable biome idea, but even if you push the idea, figuring out a suitable weapon to apply to it ends up yet again just as difficult, the one mentioned above does not achieve this. After all, the foremost important concept is to perpetuate the balance of content and ideas.

Everyone else was talking about biome-related issues (like the post just above this), so I figured I should approach the other problem.

Back
Top Bottom