Gray's Art

652Graystripe

Plantera
Atlantic City.png
I'm no artist. I don't believe I'm too good, but I also don't believe in false modesty, so I'll say that I'm pretty good. I make art for Terraria and other random stuff, so go ahead and look at it. I'm open to critiques and stuff.

Different from other artists in that I don't believe in using a computer to do the arts. It just ain't in my nature. Pencil and paper is the way to go for Gray. Have no DeviantArt.

Gungnir.png

"Gungnir"
A project of mine exploring symbols and silhouette art. The
first of its kind. Other unpublicized examples include "Night's Edge"
and "Light and Dark." See "Atlantic City."
Bee Keeper.png

"Friendly Killer Bees"
Part of my project in giving the lesser-drawn swords of Terraria
a little boost. Bee Keeper is a prime example. The name
comes courtesy of Terraria Gamepedia: "When it hits an enemy, it
summons one to three friendly killer bees..."
Starfury.png

"Fury of Heaven"
Actually drawn before the Bee Keeper chronologically, but both came
from the same sheet of paper. I liked drawing the hilt especially.

Scuttlebot.png

A Scuttlebot from Spiral Knights! Very cute, if I do say so myself.

Atlantic City.png

"Atlantic City"
Drawn as an accompaniment to Bruce Springsteen's song by the same
name, "Atlantic City" draws upon a famous lyric from the 1982 song
and brings it to the stark reality of the Jersey shore. Drawn as a
second successful exploration of symbolism after "Gungnir."

Last edited:
Did you scan these pics or just take a photo? I have drawings I wanna upload. Those are pretty good, I'm being honest, but maybe use shading for a metallic appearance on swords, or for realism. You can always make your own style though - that's how art works.

I'll admit, when I first saw the tag notice, I went "What does Gray want? I would like to practice spriting in peace."
Honestly, you're a little above average in actual drawing. But you seem to have a good eye for motion and I love those silhouette pics. Bonus points for spelling it right :p
Gungnir is my favorite so far :3

Did you scan these pics or just take a photo? I have drawings I wanna upload. Those are pretty good, I'm being honest, but maybe use shading for a metallic appearance on swords, or for realism. You can always make your own style though - that's how art works.
Shading, my cursed weakness ;-; I don't really know how to shade in drawings.

I've added the Atlantic City banner to my signature!

You don't know how to shade? There are multiple ways, one is just pressing really hard on your paper for a darker shade but that's no fun. I would simply press down lighter with your pencil while drawing for lighter shades and harder for darker. There are other ways like layering and drawing tons of lines the closer the darker, but I'm not going to go much into them. You could look that kind of thing up you know, there are tons of guides on drawing and shading on youtube I think.

You don't know how to shade? There are multiple ways, one is just pressing really hard on your paper for a darker shade but that's no fun. I would simply press down lighter with your pencil while drawing for lighter shades and harder for darker. There are other ways like layering and drawing tons of lines the closer the darker, but I'm not going to go much into them. You could look that kind of thing up you know, there are tons of guides on drawing and shading on youtube I think.
My problem is where to shade.

Oh. Whenever I shade something with a pencil, say, a bear, I look for a picture of a bear on google images in the same pose just to see how the shading looks. Point is, having a picture to look at can help.
I tried that with the Starfury's hilt, but not with its shading.

For shading, work like pixel art (I know you also do that from your sig) : Where is the imaginary lightsource, then shade away from it.

Back
Top Bottom