Weapons & Equip Have the Forbidden Armor make all magic weapons impart summon tag damage.

While Frost Armor doesn’t need multi-classing and greatly benefits Melee and Ranged users separately, the Forbidden Armor basically requires players to multi-class to take advantage of its benefits. However, if you’re using a magic weapon, that means you’re not using a whip, which means you’re not benefiting from tag damage, which means you’re sacrificing damage for damage. This could be mitigated by taking a magic weapon that reduces a target’s armor, but not only are you limiting yourself to, like, 2 weapons in the entire game, you could just as easily take a Flask of Ichor and go full Summoner anyway for greater effect.

Pondering this, I’ve realized a simple solution: an armor set bonus to make all magic weapons inflict summon tag damage bonus on targets. This would basically turn any source of magic damage you’re wielding into a whip, allowing you to use your favorite weapons in a variety of situations and creating synergy between the two halves of the Forbidden Armor’s design.

Another idea on top of this would be to make it so tagged enemies, when struck with summon damage, could release a number of homing projectiles that deal magic damage to their targets, similar to the Specter Armor (Mask) set bonus. I picture these projectiles to be either swarms of locusts or little balls of sand (the latter of which would make spriting simpler as sand ball projectiles already exist in the game).

Anyway, lemme know what y’all think!

You can switch to a whip for tag and switch back to a magic weapon that has more DPS than any whip.
I don't think this is really necessary.

Last edited:
You are too short sighted here

Use a magic weapon and minions and you are already seeing a multiclass benefit. Want to use whips? Do it while mana is regenerating, or alternatively use them for crowd control.

Forbiddens multiclass synergy exists, you dont need to force it with a new set bonus.

Also the armor is fine and doesnt need a buff

I don't really get why people want Forbidden Armor to be buffed. It's totally fine as it is, as well as being very cool and fashionable. I feel like people have this ever-present FOMO for Summoner, even though it's not at all a bad or underappreciated class anymore. It's seen nonstop buffs since it was introduced. Let's compare Forbidden Armor to Spider Armor, the other Summoner-specific armor in early Hardmode.

Spider Armor gives +3 minion slots, as well as +28% Summon damage, and has 20 defense. No other set bonus.
Forbidden Armor gives +2 minion slots, +25% Summon damage and Magic damage, and has 26 defense. It also has the set bonus of allowing you to summon an Ancient Storm at your cursor for a completely free extra source of damage.

While it's true that Spider Armor is more focused on Summoners alone, Forbidden Armor is not far behind at all. It only gives 3% less damage than Spider Armor, while having more defense. The loss of a minion slot hurts, but you also have the Ancient Storm, which does scale with Summon damage increases (as well as Magic), as well as access to extra minion slots from Pygmy Necklace, Bewitching Table, and Summoning potions to help lessen the gap. You're essentially trading easier damage for more defense and the ability to do a cool extra attack. I'd say it's about on-par with Spider.

Back
Top Bottom