Votes: 61 95.3%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, but it's not the best way.

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
The Honey Comb, dropped from Queen Bee, is incredibly convenient in the early game, releasing homing projectiles upon enemies that do decent damage. In the transition to Hardmode, the Honey Comb and related items become absolutely useless against high-defense enemies. How do we justify the existence of Bee Cloak, then, crafted with a Hardmode item, if the additional effect is only appreciated by people who for some reason like seeing "1" pop up all over the screen? In short, how do we make the Honey Comb not suck in Hardmode?

The Honey Comb's bees should deal damage proportional to the damage taken by the wearer when they are activated. By that I mean the damage that would have been taken without factoring in armor. That should be familiar to the developers, having done the exact same thing with Turtle Armor and Magic Cuffs. The projectiles would then always be balanced with regards to the monsters you are fighting. Then what would be a fair constant of proportionality?

I think it would be fair to give the new projectiles a base damage equal to half the damage taken (rounded up). For example, zombies, which do around 14 a hit, would be plagued with projectiles identical to those fired by the Bee Gun (7 base damage). Hardmode enemies would be faced with bees that do damage in the 30s range, pretty close to that of the Wasp Gun.

But as tempting as it may be to have deadly blows spawn obscenely powerful bees (attacks such as Rune Wizard contact damage, Paladin's Hammers, Sniper Bullets, and catastrophic fall damage), it would probably be smart to put a cap on the damage a bee can inflict. 50 maximum base damage seems fair to me, considering that you'll have to eat a deadly blow to the face to activate it.

Another more cosmetic change I'm going to suggest is that a bee with more than 30 base damage will become a wasp.

How about it?

Yes! Honey comb is fairly good until hardmode, and you probably wont get it early on, so it becomes pointless in a sense.
also, ninja'd

It is about time for a necro post to bring this back to people's view. This in my opinion is the best way to make the accessory worth the accessory slot in hard mode. The cap at 50 is a good thing, otherwise duke fishron would have an unpleasant surprise waiting for him.

I support the general idea but there's a problem:

Shadow Armor/Master Ninja Gear will even when dodging trigger damage taken scripts, making a dodged hit from the Dungeon Guardian create bees that can be used to kill him extremely fast, wich seems to go against the intentions of the difficulty aquiring the bone key, I do not speak against the entire concept, but I think there should be a changed, or extra mechanic to this preventing this type of abuse.

Shadow Armor/Master Ninja Gear will even when dodging trigger damage taken scripts, making a dodged hit from the Dungeon Guardian create bees that can be used to kill him extremely fast, wich seems to go against the intentions of the difficulty aquiring the bone key, I do not speak against the entire concept, but I think there should be a changed, or extra mechanic to this preventing this type of abuse.
All of those 1 damage attacks will get it eventually but that isn't a viable way to kill it.

There is a cap of the bees doing 50 damage after all.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure the OP clarified that the damage is capped at 50, meaning that crackshotCerberus is correct: these bees would still deal 1 damage against the Dungeon Guardian's impenetrable hide.

All of my yes. The honey comb currently isn't very good, but it has what, three tinkers?

Anyway, I think they should also remove the bee cloak and have the sweetheart necklace tinker directly with the star veil. That would give both items more use.

All of my yes. The honey comb currently isn't very good, but it has what, three tinkers?

Anyway, I think they should also remove the bee cloak and have the sweetheart necklace tinker directly with the star veil. That would give both items more use.
As it is the bees are less than useless. They lower your dps in hardmode.

The Honey Comb, dropped from Queen Bee, is incredibly convenient in the early game, releasing homing projectiles upon enemies that do decent damage. In the transition to Hardmode, the Honey Comb and related items become absolutely useless against high-defense enemies. How do we justify the existence of Bee Cloak, then, crafted with a Hardmode item, if the additional effect is only appreciated by people who for some reason like seeing "1" pop up all over the screen? In short, how do we make the Honey Comb not suck in Hardmode?

The Honey Comb's bees should deal damage proportional to the damage taken by the wearer when they are activated. By that I mean the damage that would have been taken without factoring in armor. That should be familiar to the developers, having done the exact same thing with Turtle Armor and Magic Cuffs. The projectiles would then always be balanced with regards to the monsters you are fighting. Then what would be a fair constant of proportionality?

I think it would be fair to give the new projectiles a base damage equal to half the damage taken (rounded up). For example, zombies, which do around 14 a hit, would be plagued with projectiles identical to those fired by the Bee Gun (7 base damage). Hardmode enemies would be faced with bees that do damage in the 30s range, pretty close to that of the Wasp Gun.

But as tempting as it may be to have deadly blows spawn obscenely powerful bees (attacks such as Rune Wizard contact damage, Paladin's Hammers, Sniper Bullets, and catastrophic fall damage), it would probably be smart to put a cap on the damage a bee can inflict. 50 maximum base damage seems fair to me, considering that you'll have to eat a deadly blow to the face to activate it.

Another more cosmetic change I'm going to suggest is that a bee with more than 30 base damage will become a wasp.

How about it?
How about Dungeon Gaurdian?

Back
Top Bottom