Pixel Art I'm looking for advice to improve my skills...

What can I improve?

• Color

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Size

• Other (please explain)

• Total voters

Braquen

Dungeon Spirit
This is just a thread where I'll put all my sprites for you to judge at your leisure.
I am merely an apprentice, not yet skilled in the trade of spriting, so advice is VERY appreciated.

QuufXzK.jpg

Ambrosite weaponry!

I was also thinking, death always gets the spotlight. What about the other horsemen?
So I created some weapons to go with the death scythe!

3POJ6TN.jpg

War's Rocket powered hammer of doom

hfLYxDc.jpg

Famine's trident

eBFaM48.jpg

Pestilence's sword

That's all for now

Last edited:
This is just a thread where I'll put all my sprites for you to judge at your leisure.
I am merely an apprentice, not yet skilled in the trade of spriting, so advice is VERY appreciated. Also, I don't have imgur (and I don't plan on getting it), so I'll just put links to the photos.
I've been around for a while and can recommend you these things:
-Don't start animating right away. I mean, you obviously can, but you need to have knowledge on how to make individual frames first;
-You're using a lot of colors which is impractical and many colors mean much shading. 9 colors per material is very, very much for pixel art and you're occasionally using even more;
-Try to observe stuff around a bit more to see how to shade it; your eyes are way better at this than using logic. For example, your dancing slime could look better if you shaded it more like this:
Slime.png

//I was too lazy to remove the background
-When making a new color palette, stuff actually looks better if you mess around not only with luminosity, but also hue and saturation. Also, don't be afraid to make changes in luminosity that aren't the same (+20, +50, +35...);
-Be pacient about your progress and analyze your mistakes;
-At first, you're going to have to copy the styles of other spriters, just don't copy from a single artist or you'll end up just being a copy of that person and won't get to see what you like doing;
-Good pixel arts take a big amount of time to complete. If you're running out of pacience with a pixel art, let it be for a while and work again on it until you're satisfied. You progress way more by doing that then by making 1574920 swords with slightly different shapes and colors. Don't be afraid to try out the harder topics too, such as animals.

Back
Top Bottom