Other Late-game Moon pet

zenithspeed

The Destroyer
I think it says it all... a pet that looks like the moon. Okay, it's not that simple, there's a few ideas I had for this.

Based on the name, you'd think it'd be a Moon Lord drop, right? Nope, he has enough drops, and it's gotten kind of unoriginal now. Why not have it as a rare drop from any Lunar Pillar enemies? That way it still fits thematically but isn't yet another ML drop.

As for the pet itself, it would behave a bit similarly to the Shadow Orb light pet obtained in the early game, but would be much faster than it, around the speed of the Wisp, I guess? Unlike those, however, it does not emit light, but it does glow in the darkness similar to illuminant coating. When the pet is close to the player, it begins to circle/"orbit" around them in a fairly wide circle.

I also have two ideas that I thought would be cool but most likely won't be possible to do due to requiring LOADS of sprites to be made:

1. The moon pet matches the appearance of the world's moon, and will update if a moon globe from the Zoologist is used, but will not change when the moon gets a special texture from Blood/Pumpkin/Frost Moon events. The pet would also include any special features of the current moon, such as the rings of the green one or the two submoons of the pink one, etc.

2. The moon pet's sprite matches the current moon phase. When it is a new moon, it simply becomes darker but is still visible, and the rest are just a mix of the dark part and the fully visible part.

As I said above, both of those would require a large number of sprites, so I doubt it'd be reasonable to add those.

Its pet summon item could be called "Lunar Dust" and looks like, well, lunar dust. The buff tooltip could be "Tidal forces are acting upon you" as a reference to the force the IRL moon exerts on our planet's waters.

I like this, but I do think it would be better off as a proper light pet. Maybe it could be gotten in mid-Hardmode, perhaps as a drop from Reapers in the Solar Eclipse? Give it 100 Brightness too, since no Light Pet has that right now. And I like the idea of it matching the appearance of the Moon in your world, as well as it changing with the phase of the Moon. That's a good idea.

I like this, but I do think it would be better off as a proper light pet. Maybe it could be gotten in mid-Hardmode, perhaps as a drop from Reapers in the Solar Eclipse? Give it 100 Brightness too, since no Light Pet has that right now. And I like the idea of it matching the appearance of the Moon in your world, as well as it changing with the phase of the Moon. That's a good idea.
yeah, i thought about making it a light pet too but i just couldn't decide
as for obtainability, i just wanted it to be from the pillars since there aren't any drops apart from the fragments from the pillars and it fits thematically too — the solar eclipse would be good as well, but it already has loads of drops, especially with all the paintings and whatnot they added in 1.4 or 1.4.4 (idk exactly when)

If it were a light pet, would the phase of the moon changing how much light it gives off be an interesting thing for it to do, though? By this, I mean it would give off the most light during a full moon, and the least amount during a new moon, and somewhere in between during the rest of the phases.

Back
Top Bottom