Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
This glitch impacts items in 2 ways as far as I've discovered.

1) If the item is non-stackable, and non-placeable, it plays the sound effect associated with using the item. If the item uses mana, the mana is consumed as well. Ranged Weapons need ammo to play their SFX.

2) If the item IS stackable, or placeable, or consumable, it plays the sound effect of the item and then DELETES the item. And it's VERY easy to do!

All you need to do, is have no buffs currently applied, and have no items that can apply buffs in your inventory.
Then, get any buff, lose the buff, and any time after, hit quick buff. The first item in your entire inventory (Including Coin, and Ammo Slots, but not Trash nor Armor Slots), will either have the item's sound played, or have the sound played, then delete the item.

The easiest method is to either use mounts, minions, or right clicking a campfire to get a buff, then remove the buff. Then for simplicity, have dirt as the first or only item in your inventory. Some random items won't get deleted, so dirt is a good one to test with. Then, hit quick buff. And... 1 dirt has just been consumed out of nowhere1
Just remember it's once per time you lose a buff, so you can only delete an item every time you receive a buff and then lose one, but still very easy to lose items on accident this way.

Since this can very easily be done on accident and cause players to lose items, it seems pretty major.

Editing as I find more information from testing.

Edit 1: Being near a campfire that is constantly turning on and off, while holding the quick buff button, deletes items quite fast.
Edit 2: The glitch doesn't seem to happen to most materials that can't be placed or consumed.
Edit 3: This happens with debuffs as well, this makes the glitch even easier to do on accident.

EDIT 4!!!: IT HAPPENS WHEN STARTING THE WORLD AS WELL! Just start a world, make sure no buffing items are at spawn, hit quick buff, and if you have a stackable item as the first item in your inventory, it gets deleted. Pretty bad!

Last edited:
I was able to reproduce and confirm this issue, a few more details:
- The issue arises from a method trying to find a suitable (potentially better than a currently active) food buff to use. It contains a slight mistake and will pick the first non empty inventory slot if there are no buffs active and no items with buffs in the inventory. (In more detail, it tries to find an item with the highest food buff grade, but also accepts items of equal grade as a previously found one, which means it will accept any item with grade 0 (not food) due to it also starting out with grade 0)
- However, the method using that result will only consume the item if it can currently be used (and if it is a consumable item of course), your worm food wasn't used because you weren't in the correct biome at that time.
- Interestingly, pressing quick buff will only work once and require a "reset" by applying and removing a buff again (which fixes the following intricacy), because it does indeed set up the non existent buff on the consumed item for 60 seconds, which will make the food buff method consider this as a buff applied and not reproduce the issue, because it also erroneously checks for buff time, not type.
Pretty great find overall!

Last edited:
hihi, funny. Nice finding.
Can be combined with some older bug (can't find thread about it). If some item vanish with this the player can right click at the empty slot (some sounds should play). Crafting something afterwards will increase the stack size of the crafted item by 1. Also works for Armor and weapons.
(Looks like a single slot can't be used twice in a row.)
1707102228293.png

Inventory deletion engine:
output.gif

Last edited:
They just refuse to replace all item clearing with setdefaults to fix all of this embarrassing stuff once and for all

hihi, funny. Nice finding.
Can be combined with some older bug (can't find thread about it). If some item vanish with this the player can right click at the empty slot (some sounds should play). Crafting something afterwards will increase the stack size of the crafted item by 1. Also works for Armor and weapons.
(Looks like a single slot can't be used twice in a row.)
View attachment 456884
Inventory deletion engine:
View attachment 456962
Super interesting find with that stack size glitch! I wonder if this can be used in other ways to say, wear multiples of a piece of armor or equipment. I assume any method of equipping stacked armor will still only equip one, but I have some theories if you can explain the glitch in more detail.

Also yeah like I mentioned in the post, a very similar campfire engine was one of the first things I made upon discovering the glitch. It was glorious, yet heartbreaking, at the same time.

This bug makes a funny noise when you put summons in slot 1 and hold the buff key (Terraprisma makes a kind of buzzing noise, abigail's flower seems to play multiple instances of its sound and sanguine staff hurts to listen to)

This bug makes a funny noise when you put summons in slot 1 and hold the buff key (Terraprisma makes a kind of buzzing noise, abigail's flower seems to play multiple instances of its sound and sanguine staff hurts to listen to)
Hihi, nice finding.
looks like sound depends on mana reduction cost and mana reg.
Flinx Staff can be cast without losing mana. Favorite so far.
no video upload allowed?
gif + sound
FlinxStaff.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom