Game Mechanics Make mana crystals cost more stars

Do you think that mana crystals should be more expensive?

• Yes, raise the cost to 5 stars.

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Yes, raise the cost to 7 stars.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Yes, raise the cost to 10 stars.

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • No, I like my stars easy to get. (explain why)

Votes: 24 31.6%

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
Anyone remember back in 1.1 when mana crystals used to cost 10 stars? That was a reasonably good amount. But then it dropped to 5. That was an okay amount, but still too easy to get.

Then, in 1.3, it dropped to only 3 stars. 3 is a ridiculously small amount. I think that mana crystals should have to be worked for again. Nowadays you can sweep around the world close to dawn and get 3-5 mana crystals. That means that in about 3 nights, you can get full mana.

I think that the mana crystals should cost 6 or 7 stars as a good intermediary.

I think it should stay. This is extremely convenient for magic characters.
But on the other hand, I agree. The price should've stayed where it was in 1.2. On Mobile, it felt really rewarding to get a mana crystal.

I am quite sure part of the reason they lowered it to 3 was the introduction of the Enchanted Nightcrawler, and being used for sunplate blocks. Considering how good for bait the nightcrawlers are up till you get stocks of good butterflies and Master Bait, you will want a lot.
Magic power and Mana Regen also help a lot. With the alchemy station it does help, but you will probably constantly make them. (If you are playing a mage restricted class.)

But, I can agree. I think that it should be 4-6 stars again.
Mainly because, you can get around 15 stars each night especially with high mobility, along with knowing good ways to get them.
So, if you really need stars for all that, go get them. It isn't that hard.

YES. 3 stars for man crystal are just to easy to get. Make it at least 7. If stars were used to make life crystals though... Omg that would be too easy

The current Mana Crystal Recipe is fine as it is with 3 stars. Requiring 10 Stars to create 1 Mana Crystal is more of a tedious grind which it was back in 1.1, and for Magic Focused characters, it is important to get maxed Mana as soon as possible, and with some nights yielding less stars than others, it can take longer to get a character to maxed Mana depending on how many stars the Night decides to bless you with.

5 Stars was a fair enough Recipe which wasn't too grindy and still had enough to make it feel like you were empowering a Mana Crystal. Though it is better with only 3 Stars.

There are also several other uses for Stars like the Star Cannon, Enchanted Nightcrawlers and making the Star in a Bottle. Requiring only 3 Stars per Mana Crystal (with only 27 needed to max out Mana compared to 45 or 100) makes it so the player can grind a little bit to get enough Stars then focus on using Stars for other uses. (Especially the Star Cannon which needs a decent amount of Stars to be of somewhat practical use)

The current Mana Crystal Recipe is fine as it is with 3 stars. Requiring 10 Stars to create 1 Mana Crystal is more of a tedious grind which it was back in 1.1, and for Magic Focused characters, it is important to get maxed Mana as soon as possible, and with some nights yielding less stars than others, it can take longer to get a character to maxed Mana depending on how many stars the Night decides to bless you with.

5 Stars was a fair enough Recipe which wasn't too grindy and still had enough to make it feel like you were empowering a Mana Crystal. Though it is better with only 3 Stars.

There are also several other uses for Stars like the Star Cannon, Enchanted Nightcrawlers and making the Star in a Bottle. Requiring only 3 Stars per Mana Crystal (with only 27 needed to max out Mana compared to 45 or 100) makes it so the player can grind a little bit to get enough Stars then focus on using Stars for other uses. (Especially the Star Cannon which needs a decent amount of Stars to be of somewhat practical use)
But who's using the star cannon anyway?

Well, I havn't touched it anymore since 1.2 came out, maybe others still do...

But who's using the star cannon anyway?

Well, I havn't touched it anymore since 1.2 came out, maybe others still do...

It's so expensive and doesn't even do that much damage.

Also, it's just about the least satisfying weapon to use next to the space gun.

It's so expensive and doesn't even do that much damage.

Unfortunately, the star cannon is a bit underpowered it seems. However, I am going to take personal offense to that latter statement, becuase 90% of my magic builds tend to go for meteor armor + space gun, because it's carried me through into Hardmode multiple times.

...but on its own it is pretty meh, so yeah you're not entirely wrong.

That said, I'm personally fine with the 3-star crystal recipe, as there are a lot of other uses for stars; making mana crystals cost more impedes on other things, and just becomes a pain.

Again.

Well...

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with allowing characters to max out on mana early on. Maybe instead, there could be more magic weapons early in the game that justify the low price, or mana stars could be given more uses.

What I also remember from 1.1 is that the first items that actually required a sizeable pool of mana (Vilethorn doesn't count) came around the Dungeon tier (Water Bolt, Magic Missile). You were bound to have a good amount of Mana Crystals by that point, if not the maximum amount. When the Gem Staves were introduced, the Mana Crystal cost had to go down to prevent them from being unreliable and thus not preferable above Melee and Ranged weapons (which would be ironic considering the entire point of the Gem Staves is to make Magic Weapons available in the early game).

In short, you can get full mana in three nights because you need full mana in three nights, if you want to viably play Mage.

3 STARS ? I understand that Terraria does have a casual audience playing it. But a game isn't fun when it's easy. I support raising it to 7 or 8.

easy is not the right word, more like fast and too quick

It would have to be quick if you want to give the Gem Staves any viability. Not much point in adding them if you're only going to get the required mana pool around the Skeletron-tier.

Well, to be honest, I can kinda see why they lowed the cost of Mana Stars, since you can get a lot of magic weapons at the beginning of the game, like the wand of sparking, gem staves, e.t.c, so you'd need to increase your mana once you get that weapon. The reason why it was higher in 1.1, was because you can only get your first magic weapon around the time you fight EoW or defeated Skeletron, like the Vile thorn, magic missile, water bolt and others

So, I'm not sure what it should be, it's basically up to the devs to decide what's better

I was initially thinking seven would be fair, but now I'm thinking closer to five, like it originally was. Not too hard to grind, fairly easy to get early on, without being too easy.

Nonono. It should be just like the old terraria: 10 stars! They should make everything like the old terraria!

OLD TERRARIA

lol jk +1

Then, in 1.3, it dropped to only 3 stars. 3 is a ridiculously small amount. I think that mana crystals should have to be worked for again. Nowadays you can sweep around the world close to dawn and get 3-5 mana crystals. That means that in about 3 nights, you can get full mana.
Wow, really? I must have missed that. Yeah, it should definitely go back to 5 stars. Later in the game, they're not that hard to find or collect for crafting. In 1.2.4.1, I maxed out my mana well before I maxed out my HP (and I didn't even use magic).

(Strange most is in agreement that this is too easy. Usually we all agree that things are too hard.)

And in what kind of world, small, medium, or large?

Back
Top Bottom