Biomes & Nature More Adventurous Dungeon! -Sprites- (BfTO!)

Dakota Spine

Headless Horseman
(( Oh boy, it's the big one! ))

Hey guys, Dakota here. The Dungeon is a really neat place, and when you kill Plantera, it is a real challenge. When you enter the Dungeon for the first time, mystery awaits you as you delve into the darkness, but there is not much else to do but go deeper until you try to light every corner of the hallways and rooms of the Dungeon, but something feels missing. When you thing "Dungeon", you think of traps, gauntlets, and tricky room and puzzles. The Dungeon more than satisfies the Gauntlet and Traps part, but it feels lacking in the exploration department. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you a more adventurous Dungeon!

-Basis-

What this would add would be more traps,some extra rooms,and the rate and ways Golden Keys are obtained. There will be a few different kinds of traps and rooms, including other things along the way. What this tries to do is add a bit more depth to the dungeon, and more of an adventurous feel.

-Traps-

First and foremost, all things involved with Traps, including Pressure Plates, will require Corruption/Crimson leveled pickaxes. As if they are made with Dungeon Brick.

Dungeon Pressure Plates
To start off our Dungeon Revamp, there will be an assortment of traps, other than Dart Traps to try and be out for you, kind of like the traps the Lihzhard Temple has. There will also be Dungeon colored Pressure Plates that can be activated by anything. these blend in more with the Dungeon, so they are less detectable.
dungeon-pressure-plates-png.97909

Dungeon Dart Traps
First trap is not a new one, but a re-thinking of one. A Dungeon variant of Dart Traps. These, like the primary Dungeon Bricks, will come in three variants, Blue, Green, and Pink. They are basic Dart Traps that do slightly more damage than normal ones. These appear in the same fashion Dart Traps in the dungeon do currently.
dungeon-dart-traps-png.97902

Dungeon Ball Traps
The next trap is a Dungeon Ball Trap before the Lihzhard Temple. Just like the Dungeon Dart Trap, it will come in all three colors, as will the rest of these traps, so further mention of it will be left out. Unlike Spiky Ball Traps, these drop the normal Spiky Balls that do much less damage than it's later counterpart. These cannot be picked up unlike thrown ones obtained from Goblin Armies. These spawn in rows of three along the ceiling.
dungeon-spiky-ball-traps-png.97905

Dungeon Acid Traps
The third is a Dungeon Acid Trap. When activated, these will drop a thin layer of acid down from the ceiling, but the acid quickly evaporates as soon as it hits the ground. Acid is a new liquid that only drops from these traps. It does less damage than lava, and it burns you for less time. These come in rows of five along the ceiling, with single block spaces between each one.
dungeon-acid-traps-png.97919

Dungeon Poison Traps
The next is a Dungeon Poison Trap. When activated, these shoot out sprays of purple liquid that go on for five blocks, they also inflict "Poisoned". They appear in the same fashion as Dungeon Dart Traps.
dungeon-flame-traps-png.97908

Spike Pit Trap
The Final is not a new block, but more of an actual trap. There will be a Dungeon pressure Plate hooked up to a row of five Actuators on both sides, which are both over a pit of spikes. When the Dungeon Pressure Plate is activated, both sides open, revealing a hole over a pit of spikes. You can easily escape, because when you fall onto the Spikes, they are high up enough for you to jump back up out of the pit.

Here is a small example of what it would look like
xKJcGcB.png

Thanks to Poiuy for this example.

Keep in mind all of these will be slightly more common that Dart Traps currently are in the Dungeon.

That about does it for the new Traps, now, onto Rooms.

-Rooms-

As mentioned earlier, the way of getting Golden Keys will be changed. Instead of your main source being Pots and Dungeon Enemies, those will be a more rare and less efficient way instead. Your main method of getting keys now will be getting through different rooms, like Puzzle Rooms, Gauntlet Rooms, Challenge Rooms, ect.

Legend
Puzzle Room = Purple
Gauntlet Room = Red
Challenge Room = Blue
Other Rooms = Green

Locked Door Room
The Dungeon will now have a room at some point that has a "Locked Door" that stops progression downwards.
locked-dungeon-door-png.97913

To open it, you need a Golden Key. There will be no way past this until you have a key, as there will be no branching paths to go past it, and if you break blocks to go past it, a Dungeon Guardian will spawn. How will the game know when to spawn a Dungeon Guardian? Well, the walls change when you get past a Locked Door. This also means that after you kill Plantera, the enemies in the Dungeon will get harder and harder as you go deeper into it. Some puzzle rooms will also need a key to get into, but they might have two keys to claim afterwards. Keys will appear on a "Key Chain" when a room is complete, simply right click to pop off the key.
key-chain-png.97911

Lamp Code

In this room, there are six lamps hung on platforms, and levers beneath each one. Simply flip the levers until you get the right code. Then, a Key Chain will appear, hanging from some blocks in front of the entrance to the room.

Lava Chain Crossing
In this room, there will already be a Key Chain at the end of the room, but to get to it, you need to jump from Chain to Chain that are hanging from the ceiling over a pit of lava. While the lava pit is shallow enough to not burn coins or items, it is still deadly to fall into. You can grab the key and head back out. Also, there is a special wall in the background of this room that breaks and kind of blocks you try to place. This includes and kind of block or object you can physically stand on. Objects that you place yourself of course.

Undead Gauntlet
In this room, there will be a single lever in the middle of the floor in a large chamber. Along the walls on platforms, there will be Dungeon Colored Skeleton Statues that cannot be picked up/have the blocks beneath it broken.
dungeon-skeleton-statues-png.97987

Once the statues are activated, wave upon wave of Dungeon Skeletons will spawn from the statue. Each has a different set of Skeletons to be spawned, this number ranging from 5-15. Once each statue has spawned all it can, the eyes stop glowing, and they break off, allowing you to pick them up if you want. They then can be used for decor, and decor only. Once it is all said and done, a Key Chain will appear in front of the room's entrance. Take note that each statue does not have a chosen number, but each has a chance to stop starting at 5, and has a chance to stop from there on. And no matter what, it will stop at 15 if it gets to that point.

Magic Missile Maze
In this room, there will be a simple room, with a Long winding tunnel of 2x2 spaces. To complete this puzzle, you will need the Magic Missile from somewhere in the Dungeon. Once you have it, lead the projectile through the small tunnel, and have it hit a sort of Magic Clay Pot, which breaks like a normal pot, but only when hit with a Magic Missile. When it smashes, a Key Chain will appear in front of the entrance. There are up to seven different ways these can form, each one being ten 2x2 spaces in length.

And if you do not yet have a Magic Missile, don't worry! There are plenty other keys to collect, and you can come back to complete these puzzles at a later time!

Treasure Room
This is a simple, small room that consists of Toppled Coin Jars that contain Copper, Uncommonly Silver, and Rarely Gold, as well as 1-2 Golden Chests. Not much else to it.

Swinging Gauntlet
This is a Gauntlet is a hallway composed solely of Spike Balls swinging around. You must get to the end to grab the Key, and then you need to head back. So you can't cheat grabbing the key without starting, it only appears when you flip a lever at the beginning of the room. This, as said before, spawns the Key Chain at the end of the hallway, as well as multiple Spike Balls that swing around. Once you grab the key, the Spike Balls vanish.

Spike Corridor
This is another hallway that is a straight shot to the Key Chain, the only catch is that a small ways past the entrance, the floor is completely spikes. So is some of the ceiling is not, but only certain spots have no spikes. The Spikes do not vanish once you grab the key.

Trap Storage
This room appears to be nothing special, but it is actually filled quite a bit with traps. It is a room with pillars of blocks and halls you need to make it through to make it to the end. These traps in this room are slightly less frequent than how the traps in the Lihzard Temple appear. They don't go away after you grab the key.

Skeletron Rematch
When you enter this room, it is mostly empty except for a lever in the center of the room, three rows of long platforms lining the walls, and a large, cracked skull, hanging from the ceiling by a chain. When you flip the switch, the eyes begin to glow yellow. And once you flip it again, seeing the warning, it breaks off to fight, and Skeletron is then summoned once again. This is the same Skeletron you have fought before, but he is differently coded in a way. This Skeletron will not try to instantly kill you during the day, but aside from him having a cracked skull with small glowing yellow pupils, that is the only real difference.
skelerematch-png.101044

His hands are also cracked and battered up.
skelerematchhand-png.101046

(( Thanks to Scarecrow for the Sprites! ))

When you kill him, he will only drop some hearts and some healing Potions, but no special Skeletron Drops. The Key Chain will then appear near the entrance.

Follow the Leader
Upon entering this room, you will activate a Dungeon Skeleton Statue by stepping on a Dungeon Pressure Plate, which will follow you. You are separated by one block at all times. You must get him to the end of a small path that can go up and down via platforms. Once you are at the end, he will step on Pressure Plates that will make the Key Chain appear at the entrance.

Flooded Room
In this room, there will be a large open area that goes down. The thing is, it is flooded. You must swim to the bottom, and flip a lever that will cause a Key Chain to appear at the entrance. There are platforms along the side to let you back up.

On a last note on rooms, as you go deeper, the rooms will become harder to do. The Puzzle Rooms will be longer/require more. Challenge Rooms will get longer, and take longer for you to get to the end. Gauntlet rooms will require you to fight more enemies/take longer to get to the end. And Other Rooms like Flooded Rooms will be deeper/have more to do. Anyways, onto another concept, new blockades, simply called "Doors".

-Doors-

A new concept would be special doorways that would need certain things to get through. These can vary in size, as they are not actual doors, but more of blockades.

Fleshy Cover
These are skin colored enemies in the dungeon that, like Flaming Wheels and Spike Balls, are invincible. But there is a way to kill them however. In order to kill them, you need to blow they up with a Grenade, a Bomb, or Dynamite. Really anything that explodes works. They do you no damage when you touch them, but you can't walk past them until you kill them. Also, I would call him Flesh Wall, but y'know, already a thing.

Barbed Wire
This works just like the Fleshy Cover, but it delivers large amounts of damage to you when you touch it. In order to get past these, you need to use the Wire Cutter you can buy from the Mechanic. They deliver a fifteen points of damage when you touch them. You CAN pass through them, but again, they do fifteen points of damage when you go through them, as well as inflict the "Bleeding" debuff.

Bone Barrier
These are barriers made of Skulls and Bones. To get past these, you simply need to use a Hammer on it. Corruption/Crimson level and up. When you smash these, they drop five to fifteen bones. They do no damage, and you cannot pass trough them.

There isn't much else to say about these, that about does it in the department of Doors, now, for a small extra addition, the Hardmode Dungeon Chest.

-Dungeon Chest-

(Suggested by FinalSunny, who also made the Mirror Staff stats and Sprite )
Chest
This chest will spawn along side the other Hardmode Biome Chests in the dungeon on a random level.
hardmode-dungeon-chest-png.99254

Key
It will require a Skeleton Key to open, crafted with 1 Temple Key, 1 Skeleton Key Mold, and 10 Souls of Fright, Sight, and Might.
dungeon-key-png.99256

The Skeleton Key Mold is, of course, dropped by Dungeon Enemies with a 1/2500 chance.
dungeon-key-mold-png.99270

Weapon
Within the Dungeon Chest is a Mirror Staff. It uses 30 Mana when fired, and shoots one large mirror that breaks into three smaller mirrors. It does 64 base damage, and has a very small chance to inflict "Confused" for three seconds.
mirror-staff-png.99266
mirror-staff-projectile-large-png.99262
mirror-staff-projectile-small-png.99264

(All parts together)
mirror-staff-full-png.99259

That is about it for this idea, I hope you guys like it! Thanks for reading. Dakota, out.

Last edited:

If the Dungeon is going to be spammed with traps like the Lizhard temple, then the same thing is going to happen to those traps. 90% of them will never be activated and they will all be looted. This is because they're very common and in a set scenario, making it very easy and predictable to ignore them and loot them.

When we're thinking traps, we also have to consider the second type of traps. The only ones in this category are Spiked Balls and blazing wheels. These two entities actually count as enemies, but cannot take damage.

The advantage for those kinds of traps is that they can be unpredictable and spawn anywhere. The player can do nothing to get rid of it, except run far enough for it to despawn. Back when Spiky Balls were en masse, the Dungeon was actually a very difficult place to explore in some circumstances.

I like.
A few things:
1: How about that:
As you arrive to about two thirds of the structure (Level: pre-plantera), you come accross an unbreakable wall. You can see the dungeon continuing after, but you can't pass through (And trying the chaos staff would kill you...).
With plantera down, the usual message appears. But the real change insn't the ennemies. The wall broke. You unlocked the post-plantera structure.

2. I think that as you get better picks, the lesser parts of the dungeon should get breakable. The picksaw only should be able to completely destroy it.

3. There is plenty of space in the undergroud for a "first layer". It would be the same level as the game's dungeon. Then you come accross a structure that spawns DGs if you get past it but that is breakable with a pwnhammer. After it is a early-HM part to the wall described earlier.

making it very easy and predictable to ignore them and loot them
i thought a lot about this while playing the first time in lhizhard dungeon. the solution could be a tool for looting traps / a pickaxe like the picksaw which is the only one with the abillity to destroy traps.
maybe a pickaxe + something that drops your version of skeletron :) -> the player MUST do the maze first and can't destroy the traps!

If the Dungeon is going to be spammed with traps like the Lizhard temple, then the same thing is going to happen to those traps. 90% of them will never be activated and they will all be looted. This is because they're very common and in a set scenario, making it very easy and predictable to ignore them and loot them.

When we're thinking traps, we also have to consider the second type of traps. The only ones in this category are Spiked Balls and blazing wheels. These two entities actually count as enemies, but cannot take damage.

The advantage for those kinds of traps is that they can be unpredictable and spawn anywhere. The player can do nothing to get rid of it, except run far enough for it to despawn. Back when Spiky Balls were en masse, the Dungeon was actually a very difficult place to explore in some circumstances.

Difficult to avoid or not, they can still catch a player by surprise while they are exploring the huge dungeon. Fighting an enemy and setting one off or something along those lines. I will make the traps needing of a Corruption/Crimson level pickaxe though, just in case.

Difficult to avoid or not, they can still catch a player by surprise while they are exploring the huge dungeon. Fighting an enemy and setting one off or something along those lines. I will make the traps needing of a Corruption/Crimson level pickaxe though, just in case.

On the other end though, if you make it so you can't actually get rid of the traps then they'll just be activated a lot carelessly. The Lizhard Dungeon would be absolute hell if you needed to mine the traps with a picksaw.

On the other end though, if you make it so you can't actually get rid of the traps then they'll just be activated a lot carelessly. The Lizhard Dungeon would be absolute hell if you needed to mine the traps with a picksaw.

True. A pickaxe that is needed to mine Dungeon Brick has been idea that has been going around the community for a bit. If you could help me out a bit as to how you would get it, or what it would be called, I would appreciate it. I will try to think of one myself, but feel free to add anything.

I'm kind of stuck on what should be done for those block traps. However, going back to the entity traps I've said about, I did have some ideas on a separate thread. I'll go fishing for it.

Edit: Found it. The whole post itself is what I think should be done to the Dungeon if it gets another overhaul (which I think it needs), but there's a good chunk of it on traps.

I think a bigger problem with the dungeon isn't that it is an RNG-fest, rather it is a farm-fest. Once you clean out the dungeon in Pre-HM (which is still good fun), it is just an empty husk of nothingness. It remains that when you return to it in HardMode and there is nothing to do but kill new enemies.

While I agree with this suggestion generally, what I think needs to happen first is to give people more incentive to roam the Dungeon instead of "hide over a ceiling, place Nimbus clouds and wait'. To do this, the following things could be required:

- Simplified generation. Right now, the generation of the Dungeon interferes with the arena style it is trying to present in HardMode by clogging up mob spawns in comparison to a quickly prepared farming box. I don't care if the dungeon ends up being proper big and slightly different boxes connected by simple tunnels, the experience would probably either remain the same or even better.

- Traps to discourage camping. The flaming wheel is just useless, end of. The spikes are an environmental hazard until one decides to mine them away. Spiky balls are really the only threat and was a big one back in 1.1. But they are really rare now. The thing is with the wheel and balls is that they are actually invincible enemies/entities. New 'traps' could include:
- An entity that spawns armour-ignoring blackout-inducing homing wisps. These homing wisps have an unpredictable movement pattern but have let's say 100 health and can be destroyed. The entity that spawns them does so slowly, but it will still be a large threat to the slow or confident. Since this entity spawns like enemies, moving to another place will eventually de-spawn the trap. Bam, you've just stopped farming.
- An entity that beams continuous lasers with high range (a good 150 feet until stopped by a block) and spirals in a circle. Can be an issue for those that don't like cover. Inflicts On Fire!, 10 seconds.
- An entity that shoots block-ignoring lasers (alike the Golem, but slightly slower velocity) at a very slow, yet still dangerous rate. These lasers will be the doom of those that want to hide, but can still be dodged if a player is agile. Inflicts Broken Armour, 25 seconds.
- An entity that shoots clouds of one of the following: Poison; Venom; Ice encasing in random places in a 100feet radius and inflicts the respective debuff. These clouds last for 5 seconds and another will be deployed when it dissipates. The entity does not cycle through the three choices randomly, instead it picks one and sticks with that one until it despawns.
- A support entity that, rather than trying to kill the player, links up with a random enemy and can provide one of the following benefits: Health recovery (20% health/second) (up to 3 enemies linked, red), Damage boost (50% boost) (up to 2 enemies, black), Defence boost (50% boost) (up to 2 enemies, blue), Speed boost (50% boost to movement) (up to 2 enemies, green) and Invulnerability (one enemy, yellow). The links are indicated with a line respective to the colour of the benefit and have a range of 50 feet and the link it broken if the enemy exists the range. The entity randomly picks targets to link up with every ten seconds, however a broken link does not recover until the 10 second refresh threshold is met.

A good thing to note is that these traps could actually be enemies instead, but the beautiful thing about these special traps is that they can't be prevented or destroyed. If they could, it would just be alike the massive flop of an attempt of traps in the Lizhard temple.

- And finally, respawning chests. All of the gold locked chests should be placed on a designated special and unbreakable altar. Once hardmode hits, there is a chance that a new type of chest spawns on one of these altars if the gold chest is already taken. There can only be one of these special chests at a time and it requires a new key dropped by dungeon enemies to open. To further prevent potential easy looting, opening the chests could initiate a mini-boss, whether it be a Paladin or something completely new. To make the loot convincing, it could have uncraftable items such as a 200hp healing pot, or even crafting materials for the Dungeon loot.

I am of the assumption that the Hardmode Dungeon is not, and cannot, be destined for a place of exploration. Therefore, it would be better if we just created an intense, constant and fluid experience.

Last edited:
I like it, but I see a problem with the Magic Missile Maze - aside from the fact that I personally hate those things (haha) wouldn't it be easily abused through use of the Vilethorn? If you could get close enough to the pot, and that probably wouldn't be difficult with its considerable range, you could just zap it through the wall - et voila.

I'm honestly not sure, i'm not coder. I'm sure they could manage it though. It could be set to react to only the Magic Missile's projectile or something... possibly.

This is a really good idea and I would absolutely love to see this in the game, but I can see a lot of stupid people complaining and rioting about this being "too big of a change" if it were.

Back
Top Bottom