Biomes & Nature Multiple Dimensions (On World Generation)

Jason_c_o

Steampunker
Now, I know that the engine for Terraria isn't geared towards dimensions like that of, say, Minecraft. In saying that, though, I don't think that it is impossible.

My idea is to have alternate World Gen types when you create a new world. Right now, when we generate a new world, it always follows the same template with a few random additions and an alternate biome. What I hope to see is instead of automatically generating the default Terraria world, you get to choose from a list what kind of world you want to create.

So you pick a character, select New World, and from there have a list that includes the Default world gen, and a list of Dimensions. This is not suggesting world customization, but full, complete different worldsets. Imagine picked the "Moon" style world, which would then generate a new type of world with physics, biomes, and enemies completely different from the default world. This way, you could get alternate dimensions while still utilizing the same engine because there's technically no dimension hopping. We all have multiple worlds anyway, right? I imagine each dimension would be a set size but generated with special blocks and enemies, etc, using the built in generator. Stand-alone biomes, if you will.

How would you handle progression, so you aren't facing enemies that are too hard/easy, and not acquiring advanced loot too early? Instead of fully balancing and entirely new world, each "dimension" would be a small section meant for different tiers of play. You could handle this progression in one of two ways:

1. Actions completed in any default world unlock certain dimension worlds for use, account-wide. Build special structures, complete a quest, speak to a specific NPC... Anything to trigger this new option to appear on the main menu.
  2. A character may not enter a specific dimension (it won't even load) unless it is has a specific item in the inventory, or has acquired a character-specific "flag" that allows entry.
Both options have pros and cons, which I'll let you ponder. You could also have these dimensions effect your Main world using items you'd bring back and activate once you return.

These alternate dimensions could be anything you could imagine. Just look at Minecraft and it's assortment of dimension mods for good examples.

In short, this suggestion is to get away from the repetitiveness and redudancy many of us feel when creating multiple default worlds, over and over. It'd also allow for many new interesting options for both early and late gameplay. What do you think?

I like it, but I think a completely new "world" with new enemies/ores/items would be a lot of work. However, I think choosing a corruption world, for instance, would be cool. The surface would mostly be covered in corruption -save a bit in center for spawning- and would include new enemies specific to corruption worlds. I can see many different world possibilities: Desert, Ocean, Crimson, Hell! Each of these would offer the potential to play "hard mode" with a new character, or just allow a veteran character to explore more treacherous worlds.

Unlocking different world types is interesting and could certainly work, but some might call it annoying. Also, many already don't like the idea of having to make multiple worlds. I have a feeling you are going to get a lot of flak for this. But I think it could be done in a way that would be loads of fun!

I like it, but I think a completely new "world" with new enemies/ores/items would be a lot of work. However, I think choosing a corruption world, for instance, would be cool. The surface would mostly be covered in corruption -save a bit in center for spawning- and would include new enemies specific to corruption worlds. I can see many different world possibilities: Desert, Ocean, Crimson, Hell! Each of these would offer the potential to play "hard mode" with a new character, or just allow a veteran character to explore more treacherous worlds.

Unlocking different world types is interesting and could certainly work, but some might call it annoying. Also, many already don't like the idea of having to make multiple worlds. I have a feeling you are going to get a lot of flak for this. But I think it could be done in a way that would be loads of fun!
I'll have to review the OP when I get time to make that more clear, but that's essentially what I mean: Smaller, one-or-two-biome worlds that essentially act as alternate dimensions/locations to the Default Main world. While I wouldn't mind entire Small worlds of already existing biomes, I'd hope that they'd be completely different, like the Moon. Or you could travel into the realm the Hallow bleeds out of. Just think about it: Killing the WoF releases the Hallow and it's spirits. Imagine traveling into that realm full on, encountering things that weren't able (or didn't bother) bleeding into the Main world!

In terms of taking flak... I don't mind. People enjoy games differently. For me, I like keeping my world count to a minimum, but that minimum would be increased if each world had more of a purpose. If people are going to get mad over a suggestion they're missing the point :)

I'll have to review the OP when I get time to make that more clear, but that's essentially what I mean: Smaller, one-or-two-biome worlds that essentially act as alternate dimensions/locations to the Default Main world. While I wouldn't mind entire Small worlds of already existing biomes, I'd hope that they'd be completely different, like the Moon. Or you could travel into the realm the Hallow bleeds out of. Just think about it: Killing the WoF releases the Hallow and it's spirits. Imagine traveling into that realm full on, encountering things that weren't able (or didn't bother) bleeding into the Main world!

In terms of taking flak... I don't mind. People enjoy games differently. For me, I like keeping my world count to a minimum, but that minimum would be increased if each world had more of a purpose. If people are going to get mad over a suggestion they're missing the point :)
Sounds good to me dude. But why would they be confined to small worlds? I would LOVE a large Jungle world. Along with new mobs that sounds like so much fun ^^

Anyway. I like it. +1

Back
Top Bottom