NPCs & Enemies NPC Combat Changes

MolochMekkane

The Destroyer
So, I just went through a Goblin Invasion on Expert. Most of the NPCs quickly died, but the Dye Trader and Nurse not only survived, but they (especially the Dye Trader) Actually killed quite a few goblins. Meanwhile, everyone else (Merchant, Guide, Arms Dealer, Angler) died in seconds (The Demolitionist held out for some time longer.)

Anyway, this has really made me realize that, even outside Expert, most NPCs really cannot defend themselves. Not just with their attacks being useless, but with them not having a clue how to fight. So, I suppose we could make several changes to how that whole thing works. Things like;
  • Giving them a more aggressive AI, something like a variant of Fighter. When they see an enemy, or alternatively, when an enemy gets into their house, they'll get aggressive, and be capable of jumping/running or focusing on it instead of just walking back and forth.
  • Giving them some kind of assistance when they get low health, something like:The Dye Trader's Scimitar becomes Legendary until he heals enough.
  • Altering what some of them do, sometimes to make more sense, without going overboard. (Example: The Guide should know how to make and use Flaming Arrows, but either wouldn't change how he attacks, or making it so that's what he uses when his health is low.)
Since I haven't even seen what all of them do, I can't suggest what all of them would do differently or what their low health changes would be, but I'm sure there will be some interesting ideas. Gonna start a list now. 'Low Health' isn't defined yet.

General NPCs

The Guide: Should have a bit better aim with that bow. Either he uses Flaming Arrows by default, or that's what he'll do at low health.
The Merchant: The Nurse already does the same thing, but since he sells a Sickle, he could use it as a melee weapon. At low health he could switch to Throwing Knives or Shuriken.
The Dye Trader: He doesn't really need a drastic change to how he works, but as I said, his low health ability would be a Legendary Exotic Scimitar.
The Arms Dealer: He would be using the Boomstick instead of a Flintlock, and then a Shotgun instead of a Minishark on Hardmode. At low health, he'd switch to a Minishark and on Hardmode either a Megashark or an Uzi.
The Nurse: She really almost seems fine where she is, and honestly since she heals herself a low health ability would be pointless.
The Dryad: I haven't seen much of what she does to really gauge her yet, but she could, when being attacked, use a weaker Blade of Grass with the original sprite.
Demolitionist: Since he uses grenades he's not really in need of anything drastic, but he still gets killed too much. Not sure how to change him just yet. Feel like he should have an axe...
Goblin Tinkerer: I honestly feel like he should use a Harpoon or KO Cannon. At low health he would also start throwing Spiky Balls.
Painter: Not quite sure what he could be changed to do, or if he really needs to.
Angler: Same as the painter, unless he would start using melee weapon fish instead.
Mechanic: Her giant wrench is pretty okay, but I feel like at low health she should do something more... mechanical.
Stylist: Deciding to hit things with scissors is not that bad, but at low health she might pull out bigger shears.
Witch Doctor: He's pretty alright, but he should probably switch to something more potent in Hardmode.
Clothier: Shooting skulls at things is pretty metal. I'm not yet sure what could be improved here.
Party Girl: Happy Grenades are pretty damn funny, but the Demolitionist does the same thing. She should probably do something else on top of that, like a firework attack.

Hardmode NPCs

Wizard: Fireballs are alright, but at low health, he could switch to shooting lightning bolts at things.
Steampunker: Not bad where she is, but at low health she could use High Velocity Bullets, since she sells the thing that makes them.
Truffle: I haven't really seen what he does yet.
Tax Collector: Cane wacks are good, but at low health he could switch to a coin gun. Seems like the kind of guy who'd shoot other people's money at things right in front of them.
Pirate: The last thing I'd expect a pirate to do is shoot his money. He could have the cannonball attack the Pirate Captain does, but with no bullets, meaning he'd have a slow attack, and he wouldn't get any benefit at low health because he's already shooting cannonballs at things.
Cyborg: Probably not a whole lot to change here, unless he'd start shooting lasers from his eyes at low health.

Other NPCs

Traveling Merchant: Since he doesn't stay in a house and might not even show up, there's little point in changing what he does.
Skeleton Merchant: The same problem as the Traveling Merchant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom