On Strange Plants...

I found one strange plant at the start of the game before I even had any idea what it was, I found it in a cave at the surface right by my spawn point. I haven't seen a single one since then though.
Off topic, I can't seem to beat Skeletron in my expert mode world even with molten armor. It's not that I'm a bad player, he just owns you if you get stuck in his head. Anyone got any tips?
I had the exact same problem, but once I tried using a featherfall potion I (just barely) managed to beat him on my first try.

Yeaaah, I think they're just really rare. This is my story: Make new world on 1.3 (Expert/large, not that I think it really matters), progress pretty far (beat BoC and EoC), never found a Strange Plant until I found one on a Sky Island, maybe 5-10 hours of gameplay in. Traded it in to the dyeguy and got Reflective Copper Dye. I used it, it was interesting because it was reflective but it wasn't a very pretty dye, I'd still prefer pink (although cactus fruit are way too rare).

Then an hour or two later I went back up onto the island and found another one with a different sprite, in nearly the exact same spot, give or take a few tiles. Traded it in and got Reflective Dye, even worse than the copper one.

Then approximately four to five hours later I went back to the island and found a third Strange Plant, yet again with a different sprite. Traded it in and this time I got Acid Dye, which is a :red:ing beautiful dye. I was too lazy to figure out how to make a GIF out of it but below you see that it's like a congealment of different shades of green, and in-game it actually has a really cool animation where it like changes color in waves of different green and :red:.

Anyway I've put like 10-20 hours into that same world and haven't found another Strange Plant since. But I did make a handful of new worlds and ran across the surface looking for more but never found any. But yesterday I made a new hardcore character and a new world (expert, small) and found one maybe 200 blocks east of spawn in Forest biome. So yeah my hunch is that they just spawn wherever foliage does, just at a super low rate, and maybe for some reason they have a higher spawn rate on sky islands.

I found one strange plant at the start of the game before I even had any idea what it was, I found it in a cave at the surface right by my spawn point. I haven't seen a single one since then though.

I had the exact same problem, but once I tried using a featherfall potion I (just barely) managed to beat him on my first try.

Yeah, in expert mode you HAVE TO destroy his hands first, otherwise you're screwed.

Attachments

• acid.PNG
    acid.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 375
My first and only strange plant gave an acid red dye, looks more like a flowing, transparent blood effect *dark* and really goes well the fossil armour. If I can get a gif created, I will show it.

Shadow Dye isn't a rare plant dye. He just sells that sometimes.
I only thought it was rare because when I traded the strange plant in he gave it to me Usually whenever you talk to him and click on strange plants without having one he mentions they are too rare for ordinary money and that he wants a rare plant instead.

I've only found one and it was growing on a floating island.

I looked on reddit forum, lots say they found them on floating islands. With my luck i'll definetly find none. I hope they fix this spawn rate, it's a shame that the awesome dyes aren't even know by many.

Here are a few screen caps of a strange plant I found and what it yielded (Living Rainbow). Of course the animated dye is hard to screencap in its full glory.
Extra Info: Expert mode, post-WoF, pre-moon lord fight. The only other strange plant I found was also on a sky island. Maybe after a certain height the chances of a strange plant spawning goes up? I found a different sprited strange plant last time. I could not attack it, I had to use a pick to harvest it. I got the phase dye last time. Both dyes have been awesome so far.

http://imgur.com/a/zHdua

My preference will probably keep my Wisp with Living Rainbow. =)

Here are a few screen caps of a strange plant I found and what it yielded (Living Rainbow). Of course the animated dye is hard to screencap in its full glory.
Extra Info: Expert mode, post-WoF, pre-moon lord fight. The only other strange plant I found was also on a sky island. Maybe after a certain height the chances of a strange plant spawning goes up? I found a different sprited strange plant last time. I could not attack it, I had to use a pick to harvest it. I got the phase dye last time. Both dyes have been awesome so far.

How do you dye your Wisp? Or your UFO?

Do you have the new update? :p You dye it via a little icon about your helmet. It takes you to a section of misc equips.

Do you have the new update? :p You dye it via a little icon about your helmet. It takes you to a section of misc equips.

Never noticed that; thanks a lot! :)

You replied to the wrong post though, but that's fine; I still saw it.

EDIT: Oh wow, and it even gives me extra inventory slots to store those items, so I can save space for other things! :D

Never noticed that; thanks a lot! :)

You replied to the wrong post though, but that's fine; I still saw it.

EDIT: Oh wow, and it even gives me extra inventory slots to store those items, so I can save space for other things! :D

lolol you're welcome! I can picture that being a HUGE bonus. ^__^;

Just a heads up:

Oh that's nice... Maybe we'll actually get a somewhat decent spawnrate for these things.
Also, I did manage to find one (on a new world) when I went to start a mage playthrough.
It was the purple one, on some grass in the forest, and I got...
3 Shadow Dyes. Which I already bought 9 of from the Dye Trader on my other character.
AAAAGGHHHHHHHH!

i found two... PRE-HARDMODE, both in the jungle. The purple one in in the jungle, the blue one is ANYWHERE on the surface, the orange one is in the forest, and the red one is on the surface and underworld.

Back
Top Bottom