Game Mechanics Pollution

Paige

Pixel Pirate
Did a search for "Pollution", no results found, so my apologies if someone has already suggested something similar.

I first thought of this on one of my older suggestions. It seems, or seemed to me at the time, that certain bodies of water rendered only trash when fishing, whereas other bodies rendered fish. This gave me the idea that perhaps bodies of water near player-built structures or things players tampered with may be "polluted", rendering only trash. However, I tested this theory by fishing in a lake quite far away from anything I had tampered with, and a fairly large one at that, but alas, it emitted nothing but garbage. Old shoes, Tin Cans, and the likes. So that little idea is, I suppose, the crux of this suggestion. Some of the mechanics may work in the following manners:

-When a player drops item(s) near or in a body of water, said body may become polluted to an extent. When water becomes polluted, it renders only trash when fishing. Goldfish do not spawn, and if the water becomes polluted greatly it may begin to damage HP. Rather than dropping items or putting them in a Trash Can, players should put their trash into a Compost Bin, a new item introduced with this suggestion. Functioning similar to Compost Bins IRL, when the player puts trash into the bin, it will convert to Compost over time.

-Compost can be added to dirt, mud, snow, etc that does not have grass. This will encourage faster plant growth. Two Compost can be crafted into a Compost Block, which anything can be planted on (as long as it is at the correct world depth).

-When a player uses a Furnace, Hellforge, Campfire or similar, bodies of water nearby may become polluted to an extent. The clouds of sky islands may begin to dissipate, and Rain Clouds may turn into Acid Rain Clouds, causing acid rain to fall, but only for the same distance as regular Rain Clouds. If a certain amount of Acid Rain clouds are present, rain will become acid rain in the area, or acid blizzard. Acid rain damages HP decently, about 5 damage per second, and erodes certain tiles (dirt, wood, not stone, etc)

-Bodies of water may begin to evaporate, grass, plant life, and other biotics may begin to die. In general the world becomes arid. These symptoms would only appear if players pollute massively, dropping things on the ground excessively, using many mechanisms that cause pollution, etc. (This part may be a bit too much, but tell me what you think. I think it would be pretty cool but at the same time perhaps a little OP.)

One way to make polluted bodies of water less polluted would be to fish out the trash and put it in a Compost Bin. So ends the fundamental idea, and begins the random, less-viable ideas.

-Moonflower, a flower that blooms at night and reflects UV rays (protecting from aridity).

-Solar panels, powering electric furnaces that cause significantly less pollution than regular furnaces.

If this suggestion takes off, maybe I'll consider it more and make some sprites, but for now I have other stuff to be doing (and also, if this idea was to be implemented, they would probably tweak it a lot, meaning this may not necessarily need more fiber).

Your obtainment of junk items from fishing is determined when the pool is too small. Anything between 75~200 blocks of water will yield trash. So... your first theory was actually a wash.

As for the idea, I'm not sure how much I like that individual pools will have its own individual memory committed to how polluted/not-polluted it is. Liquid handling is already a massive pain for the engine, adding more on to it would add more strain to the system.

Your obtainment of junk items from fishing is determined when the pool is too small. Anything between 75~200 blocks of water will yield trash. So... your first theory was actually a wash.

As for the idea, I'm not sure how much I like that individual pools will have its own individual memory committed to how polluted/not-polluted it is. Liquid handling is already a massive pain for the engine, adding more on to it would add more strain to the system.
Ah, well thanks for the info and feedback.

Back
Top Bottom