Rate the Weapon: Day Three - Grenades

How often do you use grenades in your playthroughs?

• 1 - Never

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • 2 - Rarely - The resources are too limited, or the time it's useful is too short.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • 3 - Sometimes - If I have the resources to spare

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • 4 - Often - It makes progression easier, but skippable

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • 5 - Most Games - It's great to have, but not worth ten hours to get.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • 6 - Always - I will build a farm for this if I have to. I'm not progressing without it.

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

Ami

Terrarian
Inspired by another topic, it occurs to me that many of us think weapons are bad or unusable, simply because we know what we like. But, do we know what we DON'T like? What's a worthy investment of your time and resources? In the case of polls which have multiple items bunched together, such as the ore swords, pick only the best one. If you love silver sword, but think iron sword is a waste of the bars, vote as if this were a poll for silver sword. I'll be logging these in a spreadsheet and making a compilation of which items users think are good, bad, OP, or a waste of space.
If they're bad, what would make them better? Lower cost? Autoswing? Projectiles? Different attack animation?
If they're OP, what would make them balanced?

Day Three: Grenades, Bouncy Grenades, Sticky Grenades, Beenades

I like them Eye of Cthulhu and Slime King, if and only if I haven't acquired meteor armor and space gun. I've used them in a run where I rushed reavershark and farmed up a fossil set, but that was a lot of work to make it good.

Day 1 - Ore Swords - 2.33
Day 2 - Ore Bows - 3.2

Not really, no. But I remember using them pretty heavily when I was a newb. Good way to unload damage on something without needing too much skill. Nowadays they tend to stack up in storage. Maybe I should use them more though, I just don't tend to think about them.

Haven't been in pure pre-hardmode circumstances in a long time, so I do not know what to rate them at.
They are quite tempting in the very beginning. High damage, AoE, and they explode on contact. They are also very, very deadly. Constant suicides from point-blank detonations were the thing.

Grenades are the single best weapon in the game as far as raw efficiency and length of use.

ANY veteran will tell you this. Any player to ever do a speedrun, any player to do challenge playthroughs, any player that has found themselves in the early game and in need of a quick solution to any problem they have.

Grenades allow sequence breaking into corrupt biomes a snap. Grenades make goblin army trivial. Grenades are the best weapon for expert brain of cthulhu, and normal eater of worlds. Grenades stomp slime rains. Grenades allow day one jungle diving. Grenades hit hard to reach enemies in caves.

And most importantly, grenades are avaliable in infinite supply, on the cheap, as potentially your very first weapon.

Grenades are a veteran's choice for speedy early game Terraria. There is NO equal. Voted 6.

If I happen to spawn the Demolitionist Pre-EoC, I'll pick up a stack of 'nades for those annoying enemies I hate, such as Snails, Crawdads, Hoplites, and Granite Elementals because at that point, most of my weapons do 1 damage to them and in the Hoplites case, they hit for 45+ damage early-game which really hurts and hurts bad so I wanna kill them as fast as I can.

However, if I get an Amazon or the EoC before spawning the Demolitionist, then I simply don't bother with grenades. I have weapons that can kill just about anything I run into with relative ease already, so I don't really need a consumable weapon. If I already had some 'nades, I'll keep them around for annoying enemies or AoE situations but that's about it.

Sticky Grenades? I never saw a use for this. I've seen people use them against the EoC or BoC, but uh... IMO, an Amazon works even better and you're not going to blow yourself up with it.

Bouncy Grenades? Well, first, you gotta kill a Pinky.... which happens rarely. And even then, I'd save the Pink Gel for making Peace Candles for my fishing holes.

Beenades? Meh. By the time I actually kill Queen Bee, I have far better weapons already. Who needs Beenades when you have stuff like Water Bolt, Cascade, Fiery Greatsword, Night's Edge, etc?

Never could get the hang of nades. They're just too few, andtoo hard to hit with, knocking off every corner and rebounding unpredictably. I imagine they're far more useful on the surface, but I tend to spend as much time underground. That said, there is one place I've found grenades excel - sticky grenades make good impromptu mines in PVP, as melee rushers will run over several nades stuck to the floor while in pursuit of an opponent, racking up serious damage.

I've never tried using grenades in my playthroughs, or any throwing-class weapons for that matter. While I'm sure grenades, especially beenades overall are effective weapons, mainly in Pre-Hardmode. I dislike having to manage how many I have and ensure that I have enough for a boss. Plus there is the matter of aiming them properly and ensuring you don't accidentally blow yourself up.

It is because I don't like managing limited ammo that I generally gravitate to Melee/Magic Weapons more in Pre-Hardmode overall, then Melee/Ranged in Hardmode. (I've made more use of ranged weapons thanks to the endless quiver/pouch overall compared to Pre-1.3)

I've never tried using grenades in my playthroughs, or any throwing-class weapons for that matter. While I'm sure grenades, especially beenades overall are effective weapons, mainly in Pre-Hardmode. I dislike having to manage how many I have and ensure that I have enough for a boss. Plus there is the matter of aiming them properly and ensuring you don't accidentally blow yourself up.

It is because I don't like managing limited ammo that I generally gravitate to Melee/Magic Weapons more in Pre-Hardmode overall, then Melee/Ranged in Hardmode. (I've made more use of ranged weapons thanks to the endless quiver/pouch overall compared to Pre-1.3)

Also, by Hardmode, ammo is not a problem whatsoever because you have way more money and far faster pickaxes and by then you should have 50-100+ of each of the metal bars and materials can easily be gotten en masse compared to Easymode with slower tools and slower kills.

I can make 4,000 ichor bullets after 10 or so min of farming... but in Easymode... the only ammo that's available in bulk are plain musket balls. There's arrows, but Jester Arrows are expensive, Hellfire Arrows are too expensive, and none of the Easymode bows are all that great.

Easymode... the only ammo that's available in bulk are plain musket balls. There's arrows, but Jester Arrows are expensive, Hellfire Arrows are too expensive, and none of the Easymode bows are all that great.
I would argue with this statement somewhat. Not the part about bows... but there are several other ammo types you can get in large quantity without much trouble. Flaming arrows and Frostburn arrows are very cheap to craft, and the latter especially are a big upgrade over plain wood. For guns, there's meteor shot. You'll have to work a little harder for this, but meteors are renewable, and one crash site is worth around 11,000 bullets so it's not like supply is really a problem. There's also silver bullets and unholy arrow sold during blood moon and after the second boss respectively. Though the silver bullets at least are fairly unimpressive.

I like grenades when i find them, they're really effective weapons but i dont usually buy them. Im just not into this whole explosives thing.

I would argue with this statement somewhat. Not the part about bows... but there are several other ammo types you can get in large quantity without much trouble. Flaming arrows and Frostburn arrows are very cheap to craft, and the latter especially are a big upgrade over plain wood. For guns, there's meteor shot. You'll have to work a little harder for this, but meteors are renewable, and one crash site is worth around 11,000 bullets so it's not like supply is really a problem. There's also silver bullets and unholy arrow sold during blood moon and after the second boss respectively. Though the silver bullets at least are fairly unimpressive.

I know arrows are easy to get, but again, Easymode Bows suck. They are either too slow, or too niche (Hellwing is OK for WoF, but bad for anything else. Hellwing would be OK for Skeletron if it weren't for the fact you need a Shadow Key to even GET it in the first place).

When I mentioned ammo being hard to get in easymode, I was talking about gun ammo specifically. And yes, Silver Bullets are "meh" with a capital M.

Voted for 3. If I have one, I use them for early-game invasions or strong enemies in early Hardmode.

Beenades are pretty hip, I use them on the WoF. Aside from that grenades usually get sold right away, I usually don't have much use for them.

Grenades. Never really used them. I've always found them too rare to just 'use', but never effective when I've decided to actually use them. They can be good against worms or groups (actually rather decent against EoW), but other piercing weapons that aren't explosive outclass them. I mean, if you're doing a throwing playthrough, I can see them being useful, but I don't tend to involve myself in that. Beenades are a similar story, except the Beeswax/Sweetheart necklace is pretty much a better alternative unless a throwing playthrough is happening. Bouncy grenades are bloody useless and sticky grenades are almost as useless. Overall, gets a 1.

Back
Top Bottom