Items Star-Reach Potion - The logical way to fix Thorns Potion.

Do you support this?

• Yes. I fully support this in every way possible.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I only support the new Thorns Potion's recipe.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I only support the new Star-reach Potion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't support this at all. Pls burn dis post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ClaireValle

Steampunker
Dear crimson lovers:
Thorns_Potion.png
Remember this little guy?
Probably not, as it's a corruption exclusive item.
My question is: Why?

Thorns_Potion.png
Thorns potion
is a really basic potion that helps players in the early game. I mean, it's so basic it doesn't even need a fish, but basic doesn't mean useless. Did you get hit because you're just starting? No problem! You're buffed with Thorns and, even while you still take damage, the enemy also takes damage! Your little mistakes are fixed... kind of!
Such an useful potion and yet players with a crimson world don't even get to see it! What do we get instead of that? Well...
Heartreach_Potion.png
Heartreach potion. Practical, but not as useful as the thorns potion.

So here's my suggestion: Change the recipe. The reason it's corruption only is because of its recipe, as it uses Worm Tooth which drops from a corruption-only enemy.

The recipe it has today:

Bottled_Water.png
1 Bottled water
Deathweed.png
1 Deathweed
Cactus.png
1 Cactus
Worm_Tooth.png
1 Worm Tooth
Stinger.png
1 Stinger
At
Bottle_%28crafting_station%29.png
Placed bottle or
Alchemy_Table_%28placed%29.gif
Alchemy Station

Makes
Thorns_Potion.png
Thorns potion

The improved recipe i'm suggesting:

Bottled_Water.png
1 Bottled water
Deathweed.png
1 Deathweed
Cactus.png
1 Cactus
Antlion_Mandible.png
1 Antlion Mandible
Stinger.png
1 Stinger
At
Placed bottle or
Alchemy Station

Makes
Thorns_Potion.png
Thorns potion

Why antlion mandible?
Since 1.3 the desert has become a more interesting place, and the antlion mandible became a more common drop. They don't have an actually interesting use nowadays, only used for the sandgun and the mining potion (Hey! Another potion! See? It isn't weird now that it's being used in another potion), which means most of them are either sold or trashed.

There! Now crimson worlds have a chance to make this cool potion. But this brings another problem...

Crimson has 2 exclusive potions, (
Rage_Potion.png
Heartreach_Potion.png
) and with this suggestion corruption would only have one (
Wrath_Potion.png
). How do we fix this? Easily! These potions are supposed to be counterparts. While
Rage_Potion.png
Rage Potion gives you +10% critical strike chance,
Wrath_Potion.png
Wrath Potion gives you +10% damage (which, if you ask me, is so much better). The ability to pick up far away hearts doesn't seem all that counterpart-y to the ability to hurt your enemies, so I propose a new potion. A potion that would fix this problem and also be useful.

Introducing...

KK1WgqQ.png
STAR-REACH POTION!
KK1WgqQ.png

This functions the exact same way as you would expect, being the counterpart for the Heartreach and attracting far away stars to you.
Now, you may be asking yourself: Davidciano, isn't this the same as the celestial magnet?
Yes.
RECIPE.

Bottled_Water.png
1 Bottled Water
1 Vilefish
Daybloom.png
1 Daybloom
At
Placed bottle or
Alchemy Station

Makes
KK1WgqQ.png
Star-reach Potion

As you can see, the crafting recipe is the same as the Heartreach Potion but it uses a new fish that can be caught in the corruption biome, just like the Ebonkoi. This is made just to keep the consitency of crimson having two exclusive potions each one using a crimson exclusive fish.

I tried to make the sprite for the Vilefish, but failed miserably. I imagine it as a purple, corrupted, diseased bass-like fish with its back half already disolved which exposes its skeleton; dripping with some kind of green, corrosive acid.

And that's my suggestion! Do you like this idea? Do you think it could be improved? Are you a talented enough spriter, unlike me, and can make the vilefish? I appreciate all feedback, both negative and possitive!

Only objection, and it's not major, is that there's already the Celestial Magnet (and its derivatives), so this potion would do the same thing.

Only objection, and it's not major, is that there's already the Celestial Magnet (and its derivatives), so this potion would do the same thing.
I actually said this in the thread.

I decided to go with it because there are potions that do the same thing as some accessories, such as the flipper potion. I saw no problem at all with this effect, after all, you're sacrificing the "recover mana when hit" buff for an extra accessory slot which can great benefit you. If it's not your cup of tea, just ignore the potion completely. Some people would rather have Lava Waders inatead of Obsidian Skin and that's fine.

Lol, I to have made a very similar suggestion involving an additional corruption fish and a potion (that did the exact same thing)

With that said, the star potion proved less liked to the alternates I posted.

I like this. I don't care for the Star-Reach potion all that much but I can't really see any good reason not to.

Lol, I to have made a very similar suggestion involving an additional corruption fish and a potion (that did the exact same thing)

With that said, the star potion proved less liked to the alternates I posted.
I've seen some of your suggestions because I consider them really interesting, but that was one I didn't see. Sorry for unknowingly kinda-stealing your idea!
I read your suggestion and the potion ideas were better than the star attraction buff, however I'm trying to go for a "symmetrical" kind of style between Crimson and Corruption, as they're supposed to be counterparts. I considered various potion effects, too, but this is the most fitting one I found.

I like this, but the celestial magnet makes this useless (as you said). So how about it also increases mana regen a bit as well? (Stacks)

I like this, but the celestial magnet makes this useless (as you said). So how about it also increases mana regen a bit as well? (Stacks)
there are quite a few potions that do the same thing as accessorys
it really doesn't make it useless if you are like me and don't carry around full stacks of potions

Obsidian Skin is useless from Lava Waders, whats your point?
Ammo Res potion has an accessory (I forget what.)
[DOUBLEPOST=1437911558,1437911410][/DOUBLEPOST]Almost forgot Gills Potion and Neptune Shell.

I like these ideas, i'm a bit surprised we don't already have a potion like star-reach. It sound pretty useful even though I don't use buffs much, I also don't see any problems with the thorns potion recipe change.

Back
Top Bottom