Steef's going Expert mode

ppowersteef

Paladin
New playthrough, new stuff, and obviously many new deaths. I'm on it. ppowersteef is doing an expert mode playthrough.

I can't wait to see all the new stuff and AI are in the enemies, so let's get this started.

Book 1: First try with Steef

I'm going beserk style now, with no sleeves and glowing yellow eyes, time to get this started
exp 1.PNG

*dies from blue slimes*
well......that escalated quickly...
and still, I went to the underground, careful to not be bumped up with any enemies,

I quickly found two cabins, with both the flare gun and blizzard in a bottle, neat for exploring and dodging.
also found a lot of silver and platinum, with explosives.
exp 4.PNG

I couldn't find the activate button, but let's not search for that.

I went building some...very bad homebase...then I got killed by an zombie holding...holding what?
exp 2.PNG

Those guys can do melee attacks now, this is going to be dangerous...
exp 3.PNG

four of those, I could throw a grenade at them, but let's save them for later, they're trapped anyway now.

This is going to be a base with complete random mixtures of any material i can use......ah well, we'll see how far I can go.
exp 5.PNG

Going to make/buy an anvil soon to use the platinum bars

It'll be a good idea to place the gold coins you find if you think you're not going back with it yet, so it'll be useful later on.
I've made from the platinum bars I got the broadsword and the bow, seems to be the most important to me.
Left from me is the desert, which is also dangerous enough with it's flying antlions of death <_<
managed to get past with it, with some lost silver coins though. and I've found the jungle, and yet, I died again.
...Ayway, I also found flurry boots in the ice biome, and the demolitionist walked inside too. time for some powerful explosions.
exp 6.PNG

went caving in the ice biome again, and decided to make a little random farm:
exp 8.PNG

Gel, bombs and bunnies, especially bunnies are good for selling, remember the time goldfish sells for 2 silver? well, the bunnies sells for 5! (inb4 patched in next update :p)

Also, I found a great sapphire chuck
exp 7.PNG

favorite progress hook, here i come!

Also, out of nowhere there was a Tim, but I was able to kill him. (best poem ever)
not sure if i'll use magic anytime, but the defence is still better than nothing.

I also got some more accessoires, but since I got those already, I've sold them.
also, new pretty Ice mirror, which is the ice biome variant of the magic mirror one.
exp 9.PNG

I've tried to use the usual way to fight the Eye of Cthulhu, with a lot of shurikens
exp 10.PNG

Dang, that Eye is fast, I managed to get it in it's final form, (obviously the hardest part too). and I got wrecked, not prepared enough.

Also, two blood moons, ugh, let me rest in peace.
exp 11.PNG

At least the NPC's are helping me to get rid of most of them, it's like a team working together, (if they could help me beating the EoC)

Jellyfish statue! yeah! time for some bonus gold coins
exp 12 everyday i'm farming.PNG

I also found some gravatation potions, to I got the sky treasure too, man, never thought i would be that far without beating a boss, I even got a minishark already >.<

but....say, It it just me, expert mode, or RNG that I get such bad prefixes for my weapons?
exp 13.1.PNG
exp 13.2.PNG
exp 13.PNG

yeah, probably expert mode makes life harder....:rollseyes:

Current setup:
exp 13.3.PNG

I found a goldfish statue, and boy, they went from 2 silver to no value to flipping 7,5 silver each! that's a lot!!! I'm rich!
so, I was also fighting a goblin invasion, my NPC's were helping once again, with jesters arrows and grenades, it was still possible to gain crowd control with it. still too hard to do it without deaths though.

So, after the invasion, I went caving to find the goblin, found in the meantime also a coin portal, so I could buy the rocket boots and workshop at once, and also able to reforge my minishark.
exp 14.PNG

That's more like it. :happy:

So, with my improved minishark, I tried the challenge with the Eye again, and I was victorious this time, aww yeah!
exp 15.PNG

The shield of cthulhu will also help me a lot, i can really need the little tabi dash it gives to dodge things.

Also, that treasure bag had a lot of crimtane ore, so I made the sword and bow, seems to be the most useful.

after Cthulhu's eye, I tried his brain, to test how strong he actually is, he has a new nasty trick in the second form, but on the other side, that also makes him easier (in my opinion)
pretty funny, I only wanted to know how strong he is, and I killed him directly too.

so...more stuff to make more crimtane weapons, armor and tools,
my minishark is now pretty much my main choice against the bosses, really a powerful weapon that I got so early because of many gold.

I went also to the jungle, hoping to find a lava charm, too bad, i found a boomstick though.
Despite the lack of the lava waders, it doesn't hold me back to not try to farm in the underworld, It went well, I got enough ores for an imp staff. an extra minion will be useful.

right now, let's see where skeletron is made of:
exp 16.PNG

bones of course

Well, Skeletron became more like the dungeon guardian now, his spin attack is really a thread now.

No skeletron for me, so I did queen bee first, actually, that went really well, I even did it a second time and recorded it because I found it an actual funny battle:
I really had to watch out those insane amount of stingers at the end, but the shield of cthulhu's dash helped me out.

and as reward, the bee hive pack, makes bees even more powerful than they were before. great!

From this moment, I realised I can't keep up the storyline, so it will now mainly be gameplay and progress now.

After hours of grinding for keys of light and after like...6 illuminant hooks e_e
I've finnaly aquired the Arrow Stormbow, and that weapon is totally awesome, So after a stack of ichor arrows, I've dealed with the Twins tonight:
Setup before battle:
index.php

loot of the treasure bag, a part of the epic minecart
index.php

And Skeletron down with the same setup too:
index.php

after that, I've tried the destroyer. My setup was a little bit changed then
index.php
with the Unreal Stormbow and Hellfire arrows.
His head does some massive damage (around 200) To avoid that, I keep his head track on the minimap, so I can avoid it at all cost.
Nurse teleport was used too, better avoid any risk.
The buffs I've used was Ironskin and endurance, with that, I hardly have to avoid the rest of destroyers body.
index.php

and with that defeated, I got the mechanical cart, awesome thing.

I've grinded a lot, it was really different with going from mechs to plantera in normal mode than in expert mode.
They said Plantera was the easiest...It wasn't for me.
And also, Daybloom simply won't spawn or grow anymore in the world, I've no idea what's the deal with that, but it's really annoying that I can't prepare good buff potions...

So, after quite some time, I got this setup before fighting Plantera again.
index.php

With Chlor shotbow and ichor arrows as main weapon

Even still, the battle was intense, despite all my preperations. but thankfully, It finally worked out.
index.php

Buffs used
index.php

Also, the spore sac is probably one of the best AFK items i can get, really useful in the dungeon

after I've done Plantera, I was fighting the solar eclipse and went grinding in the dungeon too. Got a lot of nice loot, but I was also simply too overprepared for Golem.
The Golem is in my opinion the easiest expert mode boss, I had even a harder time with the mechs.
index.php

With the frost hydra, spore sac, the eye of cthulhu and magnet sphere, the Golem went down in 2 minutes, quite a flawless fight compared with Plantera

So, I even went grinding it a few times, it might even be the best way to get the dev clothes.
index.php

After the celestial events, and a martian madness. I went challenging the moon lord.
mM3cyA1.png

Using every offensive and defensive buff possible, I mainly used the solar eruption and the daybreak(which i got after this picture)
I could have recorded it, but first I want to try if it was possible.

after a few deaths, and remaking the arena a bit. I got this as results
index.php

It worked well, with campfires, heart lanterns, honey, sunflowers, and two heart statues.

Hard? sure it still was. hard time to survive without worm scarf or frozen turtle shell. so I've even used recall potions to recall to the nurse faster. it was really an exited battle.

but, finally, it was over:
index.php

It dropped the celebration, a nice drop to celebrate the end of this run :p

Book 2: Rangers
[Stream Playthrough]
There's a chance that I'll stream parts of this run, you can see the twitch channel here:
http://www.twitch.tv/ppowersteef
I'll make a notification in this thread when I'll become online too.

I wanted to do another Expert playthrough, and this time with the main focus on ranged weapons.

Here's Trex, the Soldier, safely landed on a mushroom bed. starting with an annoying shortsword and pickaxe...
index.php

Trex learned quickly that in this world, it's kill or be killed....actually, that's pretty true anyway..

but seriously guide...killing that poor penguin just because it was at front of that slime is just harsh...
index.php

Anyways, after Trex made a bow and some arrows, he went quickly underground to find resources, Trying to avoid any combat by closing all places he have gone though. (I've learned that the hard way in a hardcore run)

the loot is pretty great, climbing claws, cloud bottle and Magic Mirror already. and no deaths. that's a good sign so far.
index.php

I did with this run the longest stream ever made so far(7 hours)
Lot's of stuff has happened, Trex has currently beaten EoC and BoC with the minishark, and has also gotten an Goblin Invasion:

I'm now really fond of the Silver Armor out of sudden, so I would like to keep that as vanity as much as possible:
index.php

21 Deaths has passed, Trex has retired to go on a different task and has send out his sis Silvyne to continue:
yw5RgDK.png
terraria_oc__silvyne_by_ppowersteef-d9hw3v2.png

Nothing much in the playthrough will change except the character, And she'll also start with the gear Trex has left behind.

And her current progress:
index.php

She's doing her job good, She dies much lesser than Trex, but she got a headstart, and most progress in pre-hardmode has become easier, Silvyne was also able to beat Skeletron in her first try thanks to the great arena tactic. and If you can beat Skeletron, then everything else will become easier....In Pre-hardmode at least.

Silvyne has tried to get the Hellwing Bow, but even with the metal detector, it doesn't seem like they have one there lying around.
So...I guess this is the strongest she can be in Pre-hardmode. still very doubtful if there a different way to beat Expert WoF without the help of that bow,
index.php

Better make sure all buff potions are prepared.

Forgot to post Stream status here <_<, didn't expected it would took long.

Ah well, Silvyne has beaten the Wall of Flesh in the meantime with her Phoenix handgun.
it dropped the Clockwork assault rifle directly too, so that's a great start.

however, I forgot expert hardmode is a pain...soon the death count will surpass Trex's deaths...

Anyways, here's the current setup, including the endless packs:
index.php

mayor happening:
Ice Bow obtained
Angel Wings Equipped
Hand Warmer found
Usage of Bright Silver Dye
Mytril Anvil crafted
A few Ankh Shield collectables found.

Current Progress :)
index.php

.....whoa.....I havn't updated this Thread since I got the Ice Bow....

Well....Time to summarise a lot what happened during the streams and offline:
  • Fought a Crimson Mimic and dropped the dart rifle after the first try, AWW YEAH!
  • Decided to use Crystal darts as the main ammo, Since things are going too easy with the ichor darts, in my opinion.
  • Decided to not get the stormbow, because that's the same strategy I've used in the previous expert run, there are enough other options to pick.
  • Have progressed through the hardmode ores and currently has Titanium armor with ranger helmet.
  • Did several attempts at beating the Twins with a Dart Rifle and Ice Bow, sadly, it didn't worked out.
  • Found a Cross Necklace, Ranger Emblem and a Frozen Turtle Shell (YEAH!).
  • Destroyed Skeletron Prime with the Dart Gun + Crystal Darts.
  • Destroyed the Destroyer with the same equipment.
  • Made the Hallowed Repeater and the Megashark
  • spend all platinum on reforging the Megashark to unreal
  • Destroyed the Twins with said shark and crystal bullets
  • Found several Ankh Charm pieces.
  • Fought a Solar Eclipse, got the moon Stone, Neptunes shell, and a Frozen Key.
  • Decided to make Holy Arrows....never realised they were that intense cheap....(200 arrows for 1 uni horn and 3 pixie dust!!!)
  • Currently Silvyne died 32 times, adding to the total of 53 deaths....
And improved the base by a little bit, the next plans are the Silver Shroomite!
index.php

Also...the guide sure does like the nurse legs....
index.php

Silvyne has been farming the chlorophyte and have beaten Plantera with the shotbow and holy arrows.
It was a fast, intense and exiting fight, and man, I'm happy that I've beaten it on the first try.

Current equipment:
D31AE2119F4EE1830BD5BB1436B9A1DFDA1383C3

(Also got crushed by a tortoise and stinged by a moss hornet, only gotten two deaths in the jungle)

Time for another update:
  • Grinded glowing mushrooms, only to realise that I had 200+ of them in a chest already >_>
  • Obtained shroomite armor,
  • Aquired the Hoverboard, this will probably be her favorite way to fly.
  • Defeate the Golem 7 times with the Shotbow and holy arrows, really nothing much interesting compared with a normalmode battle without buffs.
  • Got the Stynger and Sun Stone
  • discussed in the chat about boulders deaths and such
  • Ready to fight the Solar Eclipse next morning!
Current Equipment.
index.php

I got two viewers this stream..

RIP

Ah well, it wan't very interesting to watch either, it was mainly some grind today.
I've fought two Solar Eclipses, too bad they didn't had the loot I was looking for, and it only resulted into painful deaths.
I've grinded in the dungeon for a bit, I had also fun shooting at the dungeon grassfield untill I accidentily hitted a cultist....yeah....

The grind was not very long, I managed to get the master ninja gear and the rocket launcher pretty soon.
And actually, I find Silvyne really fitting for the missile/explosive kind. So I guess she's going to go with rockets and explosives into endgame.
All the explosions! (gonna change the helmet to the rocket one later)

So...She gets the crazy idea to do an expert frostmoon for the Snowman Cannon, one of the most powerful cannons.
Crazy? yes, she can barely hold a solar eclipse.
But with warmth potions, enough preparations and the banners, I see a very slight chance of actually getting it.

She got the Charm of myths and Sniper Scope too, all she needs is to prepare for the Frost Moon for her final weapons.
index.php

I had a lot of fun this time in the stream. It was a good one. :)

So, what I've done today:
  • made an Arena behind the dungeon for Pumkin/frost moon
  • obtainied the Tactical shotgun in the dungeon
  • Fought the pumpking moon, got to around wave 12, and I won without dying! I was really surpised!
  • obtained the Stake launcher
  • Fought the frost moon, died once by Santa-NK1. but as reward, the Chain Gun has been dropped.
  • The picture below shows what accessoires I've used during the moon events, with having the menacing or armored prefixes.
  • Now I know what the moons are able to, we're one step closer to the Snowman Cannon :D

Decided to do this part without stream, in order to have full focus.

I've been fishing and grinding for buff potions for a long time. It's a Frost Moon we're talking about.
I managed to beat several Ice Queens in one run, too bad every time also with dying at least once.
There was also a moment where I totally forgot to bring Warmth Potions, that was a painful Ice Queen encounter...

Anyways, Instead of a stream, I recorded a video of one of the Frost Moon battles, and in this one I didn't die at all :)

Sadly the Snowman Cannon wasn't dropped during the video,

but ... it did happen the next Frostmoon!

-Silver Cannon obtained-
index.php

After that, I went to the jungle to get Chlorophyte for the correct headset, and to the Cyborg for some extra rockets.
When she's done preparing for a huge stacks of buffs, I think it's time for the Celestials:
index.php

And It has been done:

With the Martians, Duke Fishron, Celestials, and finally, the Moon Lord Down. The Ranger Expert playthrough has been finished.
It was a fun, but painful ride.
According to the death counter, I have made at least 90 deaths, but I wouldn't be suprised if I've made more.
But, because Silvyne's a go-getter, she didn't gave up. and we've finally made it through the end.

I'll thank you all for those who have watched the streams, I've really enjoyed the chat box.

Book 3: Nebular Wizard
[Stream playthrough]
Because it was livestreamed, the spoilers contains mostly short recaps of what happened.

Out of nowhere, I had interests in doing another Terraria playthrough. This time I decided to play as a mage. Which havn't happened since 2-3 years.
nonetheless, It's fun doing this again, and I started with great luck, the first chest contained a Wand of Sparking, and the dungeon entrance had a Water Bolt.

I can see a good future for my wizard character 'Thardus'. Might as well give him a little bit more attention.
He also seems to attract gold animals, he found already 2 of them when he started, and when I opened Terraria just for a screenshot, another one spawned!
88A273C50B79C45B1B3859F3E5E0B2F179FF68F3

After a long time, Thardus managed to gain the metal coming from space. it's mighty and much more powerful than his sewing skills. it feels good to actually have some defence at the moment.
Also, Infinite Lasers!
7CEC092B7C260157D384BD9650342C17E19608C0

So far no bosses beaten, and around 18 deaths. but at least plenty of loot to prepare well for the goblin invasion.
Also, because of twitch chat's reasons, Thardus has now a ponytail.

I went gathering health so the chance of surviving was bigger, a goblin invasion also happened eventually.
But those were no match at all, seeing how the waterbolt bounced back after a while, the goblins were shredded.
right after the goblins, a slime rain happened, which leads to a king slime fight, sadly for him that he spawned inside a house, after flooding that house with water bolts, the King was trapped and defeated.
the night after King Slime, EoC spawned on it's own, I was afraid that I wasn't ready for it, but the meteor armor, space gun, and a flat enough area made the battle victorious and exiting.

I went looking to the corruption a bit, tried the EoW once, but failed at his vile spits.
the next shadow orbs got the shadow orb and vilethorn though, so that was a good thing.
I found the Goblin tinkerer as well, leading to upgrade my accessoires to spectre boots, balloon blizzard and magic cuffs.
the fifth quest of the angler is succeeded and rewarded with a bunny mount.
A78110CFF8DC4621372A7E9107A5D5C95E212C74

I've found some several new accessoires in the jungle and decided to take the Eater of Worlds once again, this time using the Water Bolt.
It worked great! it felt like he was drowning in it :p I just don't know why I used the Viletorn in the first try.
It was still not a full pushover, since I survived it at some point with only 60 health left (Git gut)

I've started making a herb farm as well, those are quite needed for the rest of the playthrough, especially when some of the magic potions are really useful, if not overpowered.

3 deaths since previous post. where of of them was a careless minecart ride straight into lava. Making it 25 deaths total.
But as long as I keep a bit caring about and keep using potions, the rest of pre-hardmode wouldn't be too much of an issue. only that Skeletron dude maybe.
index.php

Thardus went to e Jungle earlier to fully finish the Jungle armor, and it came with a good succes. (Good succes = no deaths :v)
however, the Meteor Armor and Space gun are glorious to use, so the jungle armor will only be used when he's going to use different weapons.
after that, it was Skeletron time, the first time was a failure, but the second time was win at a close call. Thanks to the power of Meteors.
The Waterbolt is the greatest deal against the skeletons, but the Magic Missile is also fun to use. it took a little while before I had everything of the dungeon.
He also found the mechanic, so he designed the Grand Design. for his magical wire needs.

After that, Thardus went to the core of the earth, making use of the shadow key he found.
He also mined hellstone, wich was a piece of cake thanks to obsidian skin potions. (the perfect resistance against any kind of hotness), but he actually didn't need so many of it because all he can do is making the tools. he decided to not go for the Molten Armor.

During the stream, there were talk about not using a bridge, but Thardus did it anyways because he don't want to risk death because of that.
Then the WoF Fight happened, the first fight went bad, because I didn't had any ways to regain my mana back. after swapping the lightning boots for the mana cuffs, because I've the bunny mount that moves at the same speed, the fight became a victory! WoF Defeated!

And then...ugh....Hard Mode....I forgot how much of a pain that was in the first stages, it's now almost impossible to reach the underworld again and he died already like 10 times for trying to recieve a good magic weapon or finding the wizard, I see a bad future in him for reaching a lesser amount of deaths than Silvyne.

And if it's not worse, a blood moon started happening,
Ah well...here's the current equipment:
index.php

Yes, my inventory is thrash. Blame Blood Moon for having no time to clean up.

First stages of Expert hardcore are a pain, truly a pain.

But at last, Thardus managed to gather some Magic weapons for protection.
The Magic Dagger, the Cursed Flames and the Meteor Staff are in him grasp, along with sweet cobalt armor.

The Blood Moons are no longer a big problem, however, Pirates happened.

I thought I was ready for it, but I was very wrong, their sharp and spammy bullets and flaming arrows are no easy deal, and it took 13 lifes from Thardus, one of the rather worst invasions I've ever done. I can pretty much give up at trying the least deaths possible.

anyways, I decided to move away and gather a meteor staff, it went slightly better afterwards. untill I gave up and just camped them all out.

after that, I decided to completely redesign the main base. and it's theme's gonna be marble (That way I may destroy marble biomes as well >:3)

index.php

Not going to post the whole base yet, as it's not fully done. just have a bit of patience :)

Well, last time Thardus has been trying to archieve some more Magical weapons. and he got the Crystal Storm, the Crystal Vile Shard and the Sky Fracture.

I also start to love the Sky Fracture as well, I find the weapon really fitting fro Thardus, so it'll eventually end up been his main weapon to be associated with.
index.php

He also started to use the mana flower and a big stack of Mana Potions, I'm aware that they'll give the damage debuff, but since I've not the magnet yet, it can be pretty tricky sometimes. Therefore, I prefer the Mana flower over manually tapping, first of all, it gives the maximum efficiency of using mana potions, and even gives more use of it because of the 8% reduction, and therefore actually increasing your DPS. secondly, you never have watch your mana nor losing focus to tap the button. So for me the Mana Flower is Ideal.

I'll rather not focus on collecting every magic weapon, but I do want to give him every hallowed/light/rainbow based weapon as he's a White Wizard.
This will probably include the Last Prism as well. depending if I find the grind worthy. I've never obtained the Star Wrath for Silvyne either.

Also, he found the Megaphone, so he won't get issues with that Terrible Silenced debuff for now.
index.php

Yesterday Thardus went looking for some more stuff to grind for before taking on the Mechs. and he've fished up a Crystal Serpent. It feels great to shoot with fireworks.
Furthermore, he's also close into getting the Ankh Shield as well, which will assist him for various annoying and long lasting Debuffs Expert mode gives.
for some reason he starts looking pretty pink lately, pink staves, pink spells. pink necklace and after a few times of trying, he've obtained the pink armor as well.

Let everything be Pink!

Also here's the full view of his current base of operations:
index.php

As well as the current equipment:
index.php

It's likely that he'll do an attempt at mech bosses soon-ish :bluslime:

After countless of tries (and 150+ Cursed skulls further) the final components of the Ankh Shield has been dropped.
And yes, it appears I've now the Ankh shield before even fighting the mechs, time for it's maximum usage. :p
A Blessed apple has dropped as well, it feels great to have the extra speed racing through the world after using the bunny for a while.

This is Thardus Current equipment now, next time he'll do an attempt at facing the mechs.
It'll likely be a stream episode as well. since my connection is doing fine again. :)
index.php

Short update on things, Thardus have been fishing a lot today, and finally got to get enough titanium for the full titanium Set.
...And with the Adamantite bars also enough for the forbidden armor as well...but since that armor only works well with both classes combined, Thardus avoid using it.

Also, he fished up 2 extra Crystal Serpents while looking for crates. and a lot of fishing lines broke by the making of this post.

index.php

And extra:
26be66509c.png

Thardus have done the final preparations for the upcoming mech bosses. and is now fully ready to counter them in the upcoming night.

He also improved the base by a little. by making it more smooth and adding leaves:
index.php

His Herb farm has done it's job really well, every herb (but the deathweed) has reached the 99 count. and the big amount of crate fishing has giving him a lot of fish for powerful potions as well.
The most powerful weapon to use is the Meteor Staff. but as it's consuming a lot of mana, it might be better to prefer the Sky Fracture instead.

And the current inventory:
index.php

A lot of progress has been made.

Thardus has in the meantime grinded for a lot of buff potions while waiting. and it was certainely worth it.
After drinking all the buff potions he needed, Thardus started with facing the Twins,

The Sky Fracture and Crystal Serpent were really handy there. The Meteor Staff could work as well, but it's eating up your potions real fast.
With the Twins down, Thardus made the Magical Harp, planned to face the Destroyer next night.
Except that right at that night, Skeletron Prime made an introduction on his own <.<

The fight was a pretty close call, Thardus aimed at all the arms first, and just managed to destroy the head in the last minute of the night.
On the next night, Destroyer was next, I've tried using the Meteor staff, but I forgot how insanely powerful the Magical Harp works against him, so after someone in the stream suggested on using the harp, the battle became almost flawless.

And thus, with all the mechs down, and the pickaxe axe crafted, he headed towards the Jungle.

The Jungle, with the lack of improvements on weaponry (except the magical harp), Thardus entered the hostile biome without much changes as before he went fighting the mechs.
When spelunking, those pesky Angry Trappers are the worst, really...Thankfully the Crystal Vile Shard and Hunter potions are a thing.
The Chlorophyte episode went really well, Thardus have been careful all the time and he hasn't died a single time :v
And thus the Armor of leaf shooting sim tokens has been made.

He dug out a big hole to prepare for Plantera, he also found a abandoned cabin and made that liveable, so the witch doctor could move there to sell Leaf wings, one of the most bizarre ways that I've upgraded my wings randomly, I never use that tactic by myself :p.

After final preparations, the Arena was ready.
index.php

The fight against Expert Plantera were fast, heart-beating, and close-calls. I havn't had a moment where I thought I'll win from her flawless.
However, Thardus do have won the fight though. but it shouldn't have lasted much longer.
He have also gotten Jim's set from the Plantera bag, which could be the most fitting set for Thardus as well, talk about some great luck :)

Afterwards, the golem's Temple.
I used to be hard, but Thardus has now aquired a new magic scroll, that makes walking through the temple a cakewalk. (It was a grand scroll, after all).
The Golem...well, he still doesn't seem to be a challenge at all after facing Plantera. he won the first fight and decided to take a second one with the buffs still active.
...untill I ran out of buffs. And got crushed. I would rather recommend using buffs anyways just in case, mages are still pretty squishy.

After that awkward moment, he decided to break a bit to build some stuff. giving focus to the little home to the right side.

What will be next, Solar Eclipse, Duke Fishron, the dungeon or the cultists? we'll see that in the next episode.
index.php

Well, there havn't been any news recently about the expert mage run.
To explain this, last time I've wondered what to do now, and Thardus felt strong enough to try the Lunatic Cultist.

But...Martians happened.

Whatever Thardus tried, I couldn't be able to protect the NPC's, and all NPC's, but the Dryad, didn't survived the invasion:
index.php

The base...it's empty...Thardus couldn't manage to save the mortal ones from the otherworldy invasion. He wasn't strong enough for it.
And then I wonder....what else can be? if the Inferno Fork, Crystal Serpent and Shadowbeam Staff fail at crowd control in expert, then I don't know.

It didn't motivated me to keep going, since I've no ideas to improve more. I cannot face the celestials, Duke Fishron, or the moon events with the current gear, can I?
So...yeah...Thardus is desperated and doesn't know what to do.

Might eventually try one of the moon events, but I doubt that it will be a wise choice.

Thardus has recovered the towns population, and decided to get a good DPS-dealing weapon.
The first tries were with Plantera, while it went much easier to just circle around her, bathing in explosions of fire. it didn't dropped what he was searching for.

After that, He thought by himself to deal with the Frost Moon, because the Razorpine is a great weapon, and it should also be pretty easy to aquire (since the first 4 waves are a cakewalk, and once you know how to defeat Everscream, you're in).

Sadly, after 4 frost moons, there wasn't been a single Razorpine dropped, while I thought drops were increased in Expert mode, the only boss drop I got were some festive wings, as they do fly higher and faster, and because it's christmas time, Thardus decided to equip those for now.

He also came with the realisation that Chlorophyte Armor might have been a better choice. since overall stat wise, the Chlorophyte is good in everything, with the loss of 4 defence. might be worth trying that out, despite the efforts spend on getting the healing spectre armor:
index.php

Thardus went toward the Jungle again and farmed Plantera for a few more times. and the Leaf Blower has been dropped.
Momodora and Pokemon has proven that leaves can be very sharp and powerful, and they have proven right again.

So, Thardus was going to do another Frost Moon attempt for the Razorpine.
He had great luck, because the first everscream has dropped it!

And then came the bad luck, he ran out of healing potions,

And he was at the wave where Santa-NK1 and Everscream can spawn at once.

And he didn't prepared his spells well enough...

...And they were spawncamping...

...glad that I didn't streamed this, as it went really REALLY bad.
index.php

(What was a minimum death count run again? pretty sure he has over 100 rips already)

But, at least, He got the Razorpine, so it's time to try Duke Fishron when he's recovered from his wounds.

Thardus looked in a hill towards the dungeon, preparing to face his next challenge.
index.php

However, right before he decided to attack them, his wisp light pet started to whisper:
index.php

-W: Why...What goes on in your mind to kill those people?

-T: I needs to happen, it has to in order to progress, for a better peace.

-W: For a better peace in this world? That's what you was aiming for?
Havn't you realised that you're only making it worse for the people living here?

Thardus lowers his weapons and looks at the wisp questionable.
index.php

-W: You know, I used to be one of those residents of the dungeon, but other people have intruded the dungeon for their greed.
I'm pretty sure you know what's going to happen if you're killing the cultists and their leader, then you're going against a otherworldy force of aliens all accross the world. Do you know what kind of impact that would make to the entire world?

And I tell you why, why does this need to happen just for your greed to become even more powerful, You've already all the power of the entire world, isn't that already enough? Are you truly hunger for more power untill you are unstoppable? You've already unleashed the ancient power of light and dark that caused this almost peaceful land into a complete chaos. How much pain does this world have to lead in order to archieve this true peace you speak?

Sometimes you have to look at yourself and be statisfied with what you've already archieved. Just let those people do what they think is good for them, and let you focus on what's good for you. Nothing will change anyway to this world if you decide to do or don't the lunar events.

Thardus decided to agree with the whisping wisp, and returns to home:
index.php

That said, I've decided to keep the playthrough here, you can call it cancelled, I find it enough for the time been. It was a real long lasting playthrough because of the twitch streams, and because of that, I'm also deciding that I won't be streaming long-lasting playthroughs like Terraria anymore, I'll still be streaming Terraria, but likely no more an entire run, as that is seriously time-consuming and hard to pick that up again. But I do hope you understand this all.

That said, exiting the current run also makes a bit more space to do new things. where I'm also exited to look forward for!

And as a final, Thardus latest Inventory setup, it has been a good run:
index.php

"Oh, you're finally back from your adventure?"
"Yeah, My dungeon wisp told me to cease attacking the cultists"
"...wisp"

index.php

"Do you really believe those wisps? they and all the dungeon inhabitats are all in one big conspiracy, they are basically the same wisps as the dungeon spirits that attack you."
-"But how can I find trust in your source if they tell me something different"
-"What if those spirits escape the dungeon and invade that country, do you want your entire world to become a ghost island?"
"I'll tell you, you should really prevent those cultists to finish their things at all cost, before they manage to summon the pillars."
"I had to handle an entire christmas invasion to their leader in order to get the weapon I wanted, all you need to do is to catch a fish. You'll really be doing fine."
"In other words, Finish your playthrough!"
index.php

After the ... motivating method of Silvyne, Thardus went back and finish with what he has started.
Starting with the fish:
index.php

It certainely wasn't an easy fishron, I have already a hard time with the normal one, let alone Expert mode.
That said, I believe it was also the first time since I ever confronted Expert Fishron Solo. and dang, he is not easy, that's for sure.

With it's fast movement and Feral Bite debuff, the Tabi and the Ankh Shield are pretty much a 'must need' for this fight. The current weapon is fine, with razor sharp pine needles, He was able to destroy it.
index.php

Although, even with all the buff potions available, some fights ended with a close call. it took him around 7 tries before the Razorblade Typhoon dropped, but thanks to his thruffle enviroment, they spawned pretty quickly.

The Razorblade Typhoon, which should be really helpful during the invasions, are obtained. who can stop him now from the endless tidal discs?

We're at the second-last chapter of the story.

Thardus managed to rip off some fishron wings. It's extra speed and water travel will really help him around for the invasions.

After Thardus kept his Wisp in a Bottle for eternity, he went back to the Dungeon Temple.
Not caring much about what the Wisp has lied to him, He knows that he should make an end of the ritual regardless. for the sake of the island and their consequenses.

He was by it's own certain mind that those cultists were training to absorb the tablet's magic.
The Typhoon proved it's power, in one wash he wiped out the people.
It doesn't go unpunished of course. as much as Thardus wanted to stop it, the Elder one managed to do it all by himself.

It's fight against the Elder cultist took long, but it was doable. The Razorblade Typhoons seemed to always aim at the right Cultist, and even if that failed, then it's piercing makes the Dragon also easy work.

When the Lunatic Cultist was almost done for, he layed down on the ground. Thardus decided to cease fire, he has killed already too much people than he wanted (most notable been the adamant pirates), and is not the one for the judgement of the lunatic.
But the Lunatic laughed with his head proned, "fool..." Then he fainted.

As the Wisp had foretold, the Celestial war started. But Thardus is not going to let it here.
"Bring it on.."

Now, to give a short summary of how the Pillar fights went,
Vortex Pillar: Washed! Those hornet swarms didn't got the change to grow bigger with the homing hyperspeed the Typhoon has.
Stardus Pillar: Washed! Same Story, but with Stardust Cells instead.
Nebula Pillar: I had to say, it is annoying, and it will remain annoying. They really combine the annoying attacks altogether.
And now, the Nebula Arcanium is obtained. and modified to Mythical as well.
Stardust Pillar: I don't even want to repeat this. This pillar...is horrible...Not only force it you to stay grounded, but also limits your weapons as most of them can be thrown back to you. The RazorBlade Typhoon did decent, but wasn't strong enough. and it was only a short time before the mana bar was depleted. Same story with the Arcanium.

Ah well, with the shield finally gone, I can go on and destroy the ...
index.php

...You gotta be kidding me

Managed to destoy it when there were too much spawns for the Crawltipede, but it wasn't certainely something enjoyable so see.

Thardus has now done 2 waves of Celestial invasions, and thus he has made an attempt at the Moon Lord as well. although a -little- unprepared.
The Second wave was pretty much a recap of the first one, Vortex and Stardus just as easy, and Solar just as hard, at least the second time id didn't went skyrocket.

Since Thardus knew what went wrong, he decided to give de grounded doors a makeover, so I can move in on his horse like a car drive. and move out just as quickly.

Maybe, tomorrow, he might finally be able to finish this all off, after a long while:
index.php

Also, random nightmare horse.

After several attempts, defeats, and risen-up again. Thardus has realised it won't do him and his weapons good to keep moving all the time. so instead of his wings, he decides to entrust his powerful horse during the fight against the moon lord.

He also switched back to Chlorophyte armor, those provide better offensive stats, and it's set bonus is lesser random.
Thardus has build a small shrine that would provide him help to beat the Moon Lord. The Shrine doesn't include houses, so he would need to move back to the main base in order to heal himself up. The shrine is close enough though, so using the Magic Mirror would only distract him.

With his 3 main weapons, the Mythical Razorpine, the Mythical RazorBlade and the Mythical Arcanum. He decides to challenge the Alien once more.

The next day, he went off, leaving the world with the dangers of the celestial ceased.
When Thardus walked next to the Dungeon, he saw the cultists doing another attempt at breaking the seal.
"One day, they'll succeed again to break the seal and raise the Celesial army. but when that happens, but when that time comes, a different hero would be ready to save them. and so the cycle will go on."

"I've fought for peace in this land, but was it needed to kill so many creatures, who were just protecting their Territory?"
"If it was only possible to bring no harm to others, but sometimes there's no other choice but to fight for the peace."
index.php

"Sarah, I'm sorry for misunderstanding you."
"But at least, I do feel changed, feeling to understand thing better and knowing when to move on."
"...And I shaved my beard. which is also something to be proud of. :merchantgrin:"

And so, he returns to the group, where he can tell his stories about Expert Mode toward the others. The Expert Mage playthrough is finished.

It was interesting for sure, I havn't been doing a mage playthrough since I created this character. finally gotten more attention to the magic class since 1.2 was quite refreshing for a bit. I have however left the DD2 events a bit outside, there were likely too hard to deal with them as a single class.

So, Are there more Terraria Playthroughs from me coming?
Maybe, but if that happens, I would like to return to the classic Screenshot stories, because that way I can come more creative in storytelling. so I've decided to no longer stream playthroughs since that caused the playthroughs to delay untill I've really the time to set it all up. Streams will still happen, just no more full playthrough streams.

For all who have readen this, I hope you've all enjoyed it :)

The End.

Last edited:
Good luck with the EoC :p, I will start my Expert mode playthrough soon as well (not gonna post it on the forums) I just want to get all the end-game armor sets and weapons and all Moon Lord drops on Normal before I start Expert mode.

If you're gonna fight EoC, be sure to fight the goblin army first - you'll need a good deal of spiky balls for the second phase (it will dash like crazy near the end, with no stop... you wont be able to land a single hit on him unless if you have spike balls or grenades)

I was actually going to halt the playthrough for now, I just know too little about the new update to directly go to expert mode,
I'll return to this, someday, but I'm now more exited to return to my throwable playthrough instead.

I actually shouldn't have made this thread so soon >_>, way too unprepared for anything

I was actually going to halt the playthrough for now, I just know too little about the new update to directly go to expert mode,

I don't know what's holding you. If you have plenty of experience prior to the 1.3 update, you should be able to dive into the whole thing.

It's what I'm doing.

I will do Expert mode, but I wonder if it was a good idea to start a SSLP to make it >_> I have to remember the progress I made, and to keep the thread up to date, it's not hard to do it for one, but if i'll do it for expert and the throwable one, my mind will be a mess.

The plans for now, I'll pause this one after I've killed EoC, maybe EoW and King Slime too.

i could defeat only EoC with minishark and cactus armor and nurse healing :/, also the bad prefixs are rngesus

IMO, nurse healing is just allowed though, Does anyone use the nurse outside a boss/event?

anyway, I'll try to fight against a goblin army before doing the EoC stuff, so I can reforge my minishark again

IMO, nurse healing is just allowed though, Does anyone use the nurse outside a boss/event?

Nurse healing is fine. There are moments that charging for the Nurse and being stationary for a little while can be entirely deficient to your performance.

I mostly only need to use her when I screw up real bad against, say, the Pirate Invasion.

Nurse and Dryad being nearby are actually incredibly useful, the latter for the +8 defense and regen buff. - says the guy who has so far failed to beat the Eater of Worlds.

not really, she did move in an arena i made, but i put the house in top of my arena
Yes, really. The reason the EoW despawned was because the Nurse was in a non-corrupt area, and the EoW won't follow you into non-corrupt areas - that is to say, it will despawn.

ill try with the dryad then with her shield
You could probably do something clever with the Nurse's house being just above the corruption, and sticking to the bottom of the house to heal. I wouldn't go to that trouble - at least, not yet - but it might be something to try if you're struggling.

Pro tip: Build your arena from minecart tracks. It's the best way to outrun the eye.
If you're gonna fight EoC, be sure to fight the goblin army first - you'll need a good deal of spiky balls for the second phase (it will dash like crazy near the end, with no stop... you wont be able to land a single hit on him unless if you have spike balls or grenades)
The goblin army spawns AFTER you defeat EoC.

Back
Top Bottom