Other Art Terraria Desktop Wallpapers

This is just... awesome!! Ocean biome background looks sick!
K3xJvZk.png

Each is labeled Background_(number here)

You can use TExtract to convert the xna to png
TExtract says it only takes PDF files; it appears that the background I want (in the Images folder) is .xnb. What's going on?

Edit: never mind, I got things working. It seems the backgrounds come in pieces... would I use an image editor to sequence them together? For the Solar, it's just a tiny slice of sky, so.

Last edited:
TExtract says it only takes PDF files; it appears that the background I want (in the Images folder) is .xnb. What's going on?

Edit: never mind, I got things working. It seems the backgrounds come in pieces... would I use an image editor to sequence them together? For the Solar, it's just a tiny slice of sky, so.
That is correct.

Oh, and, what interpolation does Terraria use? Bilinear or Nearest Neighbor? (Which one should I use?)
Not sure what you mean, but when spriting I've always been told to use "None" (Nearest Neighbor) when scaling.
Nearest Neighbor works best if you want to scale a 1x1 pixel image to a 2x2, 3x3, etc. pixel one; if you increase the scale to 200% then you will end up with a pixel-perfect 2x2 version of it. (Nearest Neighbor is also good for scaling them back down to said round scales). Other forms of scaling will apply blur to cover up stretches, which is good for most images but not for images where the distinct pixels are important.

If you use Nearest Neighbor to scale something to a non-round scale (i.e. changing a 1x1 pixel image to 1.5x the scale) you will end up with strips of pixels which got stretched out in between stretches that are left the same, which can mess up the shape of the subject and make the shading a bit wonky, which is bad.

I'll use the Cobalt Shield to illustrate the difference:
C1x.png
Natural State, with 2x2 pixels.
C1.2xNN.png
1.2x scale through Nearest Neighbor. (See the stretched areas?)
C1.2xBQ.png
1.2x scale through another interpolation. (Much more accurate, even if it's a bit blurry.)
C1.5xNN.png
1.5x scale through Nearest Neighbor. (This is a good sharp image; scaled directly from 2x2 to 3x3 pixels.)
C1.5xBQ.png
1.5x scale through another interpolation. (Same shape and aspect, but the image is blurry and not as clean.)

All in all, I would definitely recommend using Bilinear over Nearest Neighbor for most cases. Unless you are trying to rescale a sprite's pixels directly to another multiple scale, it is definitely better for emulating Terraria scenes. (Terraria definitely doesn't use Nearest Neighbor; if you have a Melee weapon with a size modifier it definitely looks like a scaled and blurrier version rather than one that has had some of its pixels stretched.)

Anyways, hope this helps! :happy:

Nearest Neighbor works best if you want to scale a 1x1 pixel image to a 2x2, 3x3, etc. pixel one; if you increase the scale to 200% then you will end up with a pixel-perfect 2x2 version of it. (Nearest Neighbor is also good for scaling them back down to said round scales). Other forms of scaling will apply blur to cover up stretches, which is good for most images but not for images where the distinct pixels are important.

If you use Nearest Neighbor to scale something to a non-round scale (i.e. changing a 1x1 pixel image to 1.5x the scale) you will end up with strips of pixels which got stretched out in between stretches that are left the same, which can mess up the shape of the subject and make the shading a bit wonky, which is bad.

I'll use the Cobalt Shield to illustrate the difference:
View attachment 68827 Natural State, with 2x2 pixels.
View attachment 68831 1.2x scale through Nearest Neighbor. (See the stretched areas?)
View attachment 68829 1.2x scale through another interpolation. (Much more accurate, even if it's a bit blurry.)
View attachment 68828 1.5x scale through Nearest Neighbor. (This is a good sharp image; scaled directly from 2x2 to 3x3 pixels.)
View attachment 68830 1.5x scale through another interpolation. (Same shape and aspect, but the image is blurry and not as clean.)

All in all, I would definitely recommend using Bilinear over Nearest Neighbor for most cases. Unless you are trying to rescale a sprite's pixels directly to another multiple scale, it is definitely better for emulating Terraria scenes. (Terraria definitely doesn't use Nearest Neighbor; if you have a Melee weapon with a size modifier it definitely looks like a scaled and blurrier version rather than one that has had some of its pixels stretched.)

Anyways, hope this helps! :happy:

Totally helps! Thanks! I guess I will update the hell background soon! :D (And maybe add some others..)

Back
Top Bottom