Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Function 2

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Neither (Please Explain)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
Okay, I'm gonna jump right into this one. Are you tired of grinding for the Rod of Discord? Do you want a new way to travel the world? Well if you do, I have just the item for you!
index.php

The Wormhole Staff

The black hole staff is a new item that can be obtained from the hole worm, which spawns post-mech. It uses 30 mana per cast. It rivals the Rod of Discord in its teleportational abilities, but it is in fact far different from the RoD. Instead of teleporting the player, it creates a hole for the player to walk through. Here is a chart describing the ups and downs of each.

Rod_of_Discord.png

Rod of Discord
Instantly teleports player to the location clicked
Can be used anywhere at any time

Has a powerful cool down
Can only transport the user

index.php

Wormhole Staff
Has a less powerful cool down
Can transport any entity

Cant be used diagonally
Is not instant

So they each have positives and negatives that make them individual and useful in their own ways. But what does it do? I have come up with 2 solutions, preferably the first one.

So the first, preferable way it could be used is to create a sort of extra dimensional tunnel through solid objects, as shown in the picture below. When used on the red block shown, it would create a tunnel that is 5 blocks thick, and extends a whopping 35 blocks in the direction it is used on. However, as soon as it hits 3 blocks of air (so that the player will most likely have space to walk through, it will stop. It can not be used on liquids, but can pass through them. It will delete not affect liquids in it's path, but will not allow liquids to flow into it. The player will also not be affected by the liquids if they walk through the tunnel. It will not work if there are no air blocks at or before it reaches its 35 block limit.

Okay bear with me here, I have some more stuff to go over.

Every 5 blocks will extend its lifespan by 1 second, with a default of 5 seconds. So in the picture shown, there is a block of stone 11 blocks wide. With a default of 5 blocks and the additional 2 seconds for the 11 blocks, rounded of course, will give the player (or any other entity) 7 seconds to walk through it. When the 7 seconds are up, it will enter an unstable state, where the tunnel looks like it is wavering, that causes 30 damage a second to anything inside. This state will last until whatever is inside dies or leaves, or after 10 seconds, in which it kill anything inside, (besides bosses), and disappear.

And when it ends, everything will return to normal.

WhereIClick1.png

WhatHappends1.png

It basically works like this item does in a mod for minecraft.

Working a similar way, but less complicated, It could also work in a way shown in the picture, where instead of a tunnel, it could be a portal. When you jump through the portal, it would teleport you to the other one. It would be able to go through a maximum of 35 blocks, and if there are no air blocks big enough for it (4x1) or after 35 blocks than it will not create a portal. Other entities would also be able to travel through it. This removes the problems with liquids.
WhereIClick1.png

index.php

So I hope you agree with at least one of these ideas. Please feel free to criticize this thread! This idea is pretty fragile and needs work. I am still unsure of how far the portals should go, so please tell me if it needs to be longer(or shorter).

Don't forget to check out the Hole Worm thread!

Thank you @DerpoTheMagnificent for the awesome staff sprite!​

Attachments

• WhatHappends2.png
    WhatHappends2.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:
The staff's ability reminds me more of a wormhole than a black hole. In any case I do believe that the recipe is rather unimpressive for such a powerful item; it looks slightly easier to make than say, a fairy bell. The problem is that the staff itself would be immensely more useful; you could span the world in a ridiculously short time. I'm not too fond of it being craftable at all I'm afraid :S

I like function 1, you have planned out the tunneling mechanics nicely. I think of the coming update however and I can't recall whether the 'portal gun' is a rumour or whether it has actually been confirmed for release in 1.3. If the latter is the case I would think it unlikely that an additional teleportation method would be added as well.

I think you're on to something but the idea needs some refining.

The staff's ability reminds me more of a wormhole than a black hole. In any case I do believe that the recipe is rather unimpressive for such a powerful item; it looks slightly easier to make than say, a fairy bell. The problem is that the staff itself would be immensely more useful; you could span the world in a ridiculously short time. I'm not too fond of it being craftable at all I'm afraid :S

I like function 1, you have planned out the tunneling mechanics nicely. I think of the coming update however and I can't recall whether the 'portal gun' is a rumour or whether it has actually been confirmed for release in 1.3. If the latter is the case I would think it unlikely that an additional teleportation method would be added as well.

I think you're on to something but the idea needs some refining.

I'll work on refining it right now! :D
[DOUBLEPOST=1428205326][/DOUBLEPOST]
So this suggestion is "i don't wanna work for an item, so here is a new item to take its place"?

What? No not even close. Read the thread. :L
[DOUBLEPOST=1428205342][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yed will really help me get chlorythite
Please explain?

I mean first off:
crafting recipie means more uses for SoS which has the most uses
it is what the RoD was, just no debuff
Could be more useful in finding caves, since suffocation only applies to gravity blocks.

BUT i have to say it is a unique idea.

I like the idea a lot, but as azumarill said, it's relativity easy to get and has really no downsides except it can only go horizontally. I like the function two idea better, and I think the ways of obtaining need to be balanced a bit <3

I mean first off:
crafting recipie means more uses for SoS which has the most uses
it is what the RoD was, just no debuff
Could be more useful in finding caves, since suffocation only applies to gravity blocks.

BUT i have to say it is a unique idea.

What is SoS? Also, the RoD is actually very different. And I didn't know that suffocation applied only to solid blocks, so i'll change the function.. :L
[DOUBLEPOST=1428236005][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like the idea a lot, but as azumarill said, it's relativity easy to get and has really no downsides except it can only go horizontally. I like the function two idea better, and I think the ways of obtaining need to be balanced a bit <3
I added nanites to the recipe to make it more expensive, and it actually can go horizontally.

PC exclusive?
Didn't read lol!
Just kidding. Console players are tired of grinding too though. Function 2 is much more better, but this thing seems.... a bit too easy to get. There's RoD hard to get and then there's True Nights Edge hard to get.

Changelog :
  • Replaced Hallowed Bars with Chlorophyte
  • Removed Souls of Sight
  • Added Souls of Night
  • Added 30 mana per cast
  • Fixed several issues
  • Changed pretty much the entire idea

Working a similar way, but less complicated, It could also work in a way shown in the picture, where instead of a tunnel, it could be a portal. When you jump through the portal, it would teleport you to the other one. It would be able to go through a maximum of 35 blocks, and if there are no air blocks big enough for it (4x1) or after 35 blocks than it will not create a portal. Other entities would also be able to travel through it. This removes the problems with liquids.
Portal gun for function 2? Already added m8.

So, the Wormhole Staff and RoD only have teleporting and common then besides that are antonyms?

Back
Top Bottom