The "You use WHAT?!" thread

Exceeeept~!

It's the second best bullet based weapon in the game, outdone only by Chaingun. Megashark is rather monstrously OP for where it's placed. Even in the very end game it's capable, and can be counted as one of the better items to take on Duke with.

Only if you are going for strictly bullet weapons, I suppose.

You have other "Gun" type weapons, though, if you aren't in specific need of Ichor or Crystal Bullets. I hear people talking about the Tactical Shotgun. Looking at the wiki, it sounds like it could be incredibly nasty if you used Cholorophyte Bullets.

There's also the Candy Corn Rifle as I mentioned earlier; the said Candy Corn bounces and can hit multiple enemies and has cheaper/easier to get ammo.

The problem is when you try comparing the Megashark to non-bullet weapons... especially in the magic department and even in the melee department. It is certainly the earliest high-DPS ranged weapon, but once you start getting ahold of other stuff, I find it falls behind fast. I usually stick it in a chest as soon as I get the Stynger; another weapon with insanely easy to get ammo that does AoE damage (the fact that it drops off the easiest to kill AND easiest to pop hardmode boss in the game helps too).

This means that you are saying that the keybrand (Damage 55, Use Time 21) is better than....

1). Cutlass (available the moment you start hardmode): Damage 51 Use Time 16, Autoswing, Common Drop from an easily spawned event.
2). Scourge of the Corruptor (I usually get a keymold while farming pirates early hardmode): Damage 64, Use Time 19, homing projectiles, etc.
3). Vampire Knives (same as above in Crimson World)
4). Terra Blade (if you are extremely lucky and see a Solar Eclipse and had an area prepared beforehand; this actually happened to me once)

You're saying the Keybrand is better than those weapons above?
Wrong, learn English. I never stated that keybrand is better than any of those, I stated that keybrand is often my best weapon. Keybrand cannot be my best weapon if I have a better weapon, it doesn't make sense. Cutlass drops from an optional invasion, an invasion that I do not farm maps for. I have only had 1 invasion at a time before I got a keybrand. I also have yet to get a terra blade before keybrand, or a key mold before keybrand.

I'm reading this, and I like how neoselket is saying they're overpowered, but some of his proof is that he used them. Hmm... Anyways, not gonna say anything on the VK, since I haven't gotten them. Here's my list of unusual tactics for me:
Rangers - Now I haven't played Ranger, but most of the bosses have a dodging mechanic, and you have to hoard a lot of ammo anyways.
Mixed Classes - Really, after Pre-Hardmode, I can't see having a mixed class. Almost all armor and accessories are geared towards one, so having multiple ones doesn't make sense (Unless you use another in case of backup. EG. Having a melee for running out of ammo/mana)
Summoners - Can't say much, as I'm in the Xbox version, and there isn't a lot of good summoner's setup's, but it just seems like it would take forever.

Now I haven't even beaten a Mech Boss yet, so feel free to take my opinions with a grain of salt, as I'm not really fully experienced yet.

Mixed Classes - Really, after Pre-Hardmode, I can't see having a mixed class. Almost all armor and accessories are geared towards one, so having multiple ones doesn't make sense (Unless you use another in case of backup. EG. Having a melee for running out of ammo/mana)

There are some weapons that stand out as being good despite the loss of armor bonuses:

1). Daedalus Stormbow: THE King of Overpowered in Terraria at the moment, though it is a niche weapon only good for certain situations (Mech bosses and UFOs).

2). Megashark: If you don't want to cheese the Mechs with the Stormbow, the Megashark is a decent weapon to use against Twins, Prime and Plantera even if you're wearing melee or magic armor. Get some Ichor Bullets to increase DPS if you have Crimson... if not, Crystal Bullets are cheap and easy to make and they work decently.

3). Nimbus Rod: It's a magic weapon that will absolutely rip the Destroyer to pieces even if you're wearing Melee or Ranged Armor.

Just because a weapon says "____ Damage" doesn't mean it is absolutely useless with a different suit of armor. You will do anywhere from 15-20% less damage with weapons outside of your class, but unless you're fighting Moon Lord, it usually doesn't matter THAT much. Most enemies will die in 2-3 hits from any respectable weapon regardless of your class.

The main problem is non-Magic Users running out of Mana at ridiculous rates, which is why I don't bother with most magic weapons. Guns, though, nothing wrong with keeping a trusty gun around even if you're melee. You have ammo slots for a reason, and there's no penalty for carrying ammo on you and no benefit to leaving those ammo slots open. Just slap a pouch and/or a quiver in there for all of those times you'd like to take out something from a distance.

........well, at least until you get ahold of the Terra Blade, which is far better than any gun I know of if you're wearing Melee Armor anyways. lol.

People praise the Influx Waver so much, but...

1). It fires slower (which is 90% of the reason to use Terra Blade: Projectile Spam).
2). The weapon's homing/multi-hit only applies when a projectile actually hits.
3). It has a smidge less raw damage.

But anyways, I digress......

People finding the Reaver Shark too OP.

Yeah, good luck getting the molten pickaxe

You make it sound like the molten pickaxe is difficult to obtain or something, lol.

But in all seriousness, the Reaver Shark allows you to sequence break almost the entirety of Easymode -- as soon as you fish one up, you can get yourself Molten Armor, a Fiery Greatsword, etc before killing any of the game's bosses whatsoever. You don't have to step foot in the Jungle at all, nor the Dungeon, or the Crimson/Corruption.. you go straight from your base to the ocean, and then to the Underworld.

As long as you've half a brain and you have something that can hurt the imps (I bet a Cactus Shortsword would work), you are in very little to no danger, though you might want at least a hook to get from tower-to-tower to mine out what hellstone you can reach while in the relative safety of the towers. The trick is to not stay "outdoors" long in the Underworld or the Bats and Demons will rip you apart.

Wait, is the Nimbus Rod really that good? Hell, I got that today, I need to go fight the Destroyer. And yeah, the Molten Pickaxe is easy to get. I got enough hellstone for it and a Fiery Greatsword in about 20 minutes.

Wait, is the Nimbus Rod really that good? Hell, I got that today, I need to go fight the Destroyer. And yeah, the Molten Pickaxe is easy to get. I got enough hellstone for it and a Fiery Greatsword in about 20 minutes.

Yeah, the Nimbus Rod constantly rains piercing projectiles for a pretty long duration. On something with as many segments as the Destroyer, those little bits of damage add up fast. Even in other fights, it's still useful to have around just for extra DPS.

Well, awesome then. I got it the other day, and all I used it for was protecting me for when I was mining wood at night. I'll try and take the Destroyer today then.

Well, awesome then. I got it the other day, and all I used it for was protecting me for when I was mining wood at night. I'll try and take the Destroyer today then.

Since it rains straight down, try to place the clouds on the most vertical parts of the worm, especially if he leaps out of the ground almost vertically, immediately re-position both clouds right ontop of him and you'll see massive damage.

If you have a Bladetongue (I think a Titanium Sword would work too but not quite as good), you can also stand right near him when he comes out of the ground and swing away at him like that too at the same time.

That's why the Nimbus Rod is so awesome -- you can place a couple clouds and use something else while the clouds wreck everything underneath them.

The Rod also works well on the golem if you build a vertical wall (leave 3 block gap so Lihzarhds can walk back and forth) right next to his altar so he can't go nowhere. You can use the Rod to kill his fists while standing away where he can't hit you at all, lol. Simply position one cloud on either side of the vertical wall and wait a bit. Killing him is slower this way but you'll rarely get hit with anything other than his bouncing fireballs.

I actually like to use the Star Cannon on hardmode bosses. It's more of a back-up plan type thing in case I somehow run out of crystal bullets. I can't really bring myself to discard it after Wall of Flesh is dealt with.

Kind of the reverse, but whenever i tell someone flare gun is my main weapon early-game they are like "WHAT?" then i tell them "its because the "On Fire!" debuff lasts for soo long that flares inflict."

If you have a Bladetongue (I think a Titanium Sword would work too but not quite as good), you can also stand right near him when he comes out of the ground and swing away at him like that too at the same time.

I can't get Bladetounge, I'm on console. ;-;

Which is also the reason I don't carry a lot of guns/bows, because 1. I'm a mage, so I can hit from afar anyways. 2. No bullet pouch or quiver.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom