Weapons & Equip Titan Slayer Gear

Should Titan Slayer Gear include the Mechanical Glove and its effects?

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
It's been a while! I'm here with... well... another rather obvious reference item

Anyways, some context! The humans in the massively popular anime Attack on Titan have a very unique style of combat: hooking onto their enemies, and delivering circular slashes to the back of the neck.
tumblr_msrx8yZgpA1sapjiqo1_400.gif

And movement is facilitated by a powerful innovation called 3D Maneuver Gear, which combines grappling with propulsion from compressed-air canisters for incredible freedom of motion. Grapple-happy Terrarians like me should have some idea of what I'm talking about, the hook-and-release strategy that can give a short horizontal boost. That's how Titan slayers get around, folks.

Anyways, I just decided that it would be cool to have an accessory line that grants a few of those same abilities.

ospreytalon.png

Osprey Talon
Improves grappling hook range and velocity.
Allows the player to grapple onto enemies. Upon being grappled, an enemy cannot deal damage to the player that grappled it, for a very, very brief time (less than two seconds). After that time is up, the hook disconnects automatically.

(I'm also going to consider giving the hook a damage value of its own, so smaller enemies like slimes would get splattered, saving us the illogical predicament of being able to reel ourselves in toward such puny creatures.)

Points of discussion:
  • Should it disconnect after the grace period, or after the grappling hook retracts fully?
  • If it were to disconnect upon retracting fully, should that also apply to grappling to blocks?
Just felt like writing those, in case anyone out there feels like there's nothing to discuss.

gyroscope.png

Gyroscope
Changes the attack pattern of broadswords (and other swinging weapons). Each swing covers a 180 degree arc, and an illusory, semitransparent second blade extends behind the player to cover the remaining 180 degrees. The result is a smooth, circular double-bladed slash. It takes the same amount of time to execute as a normal sword swing, so don't worry your faces.

This is continuous as long as the mouse is held, so it can be treated as a form of autoswing for all broadswords. The properties of sword projectiles do not change, except for autofiring, as part of autoswing.

And now this.

titanslayergear.png

Titan Slayer Gear
Combines the properties of the Osprey Talon and Gyroscope. I'm considering including the Mechanical Glove in this, too, but I'm not entirely sure. That's what the poll is for. (And don't just vote and leave, that's not cool at all, I know who you guys are.)

Decided to throw in a rather horrible attempt at a Terraria-styled Mikasa Ackerman to demonstrate what the accessory would look like. Don't laugh.

mikasa.png

see, there it is, on her hips. you guys see it, right
"is that supposed to be a girl"

god dammit

That aside, I hope you all enjoyed reading this! Say whatever you think you need to say; the only thing you can do wrong is not say it. (...or insult my mom, or something. You're not planning to do that, right?)

It's so much simpler to, y'know, leave a like or something, if you liked it. Yeah, rules to live by. Leave a like, write a reply, don't insult Baconfry's mom. Peace.

Last edited:
Nice, Good job! I think mech glove could be tinkered with the gyroscope to something then make the maneuvering gear.

Even as someone who doesn't watch AoT, this seems cool. Grapple onto Destroyer + slash.
For the Mech Glove thing, I would include it but nerf it's effects a bit.

The obvious problem here is copyright.

but hey, we can dream. right?

p.s.: add titan boss, pls

Pffffffffffffft, Mario is such a bigger game, and it didn't get copyrighted (On PS3 it did doe)..

Not to mention the portal gun that is confirmed for 1.3

Baconfry's mom is foxy I don't watch Attack on Titan, but it reminds me a little bit of Shadow of the Colossus. So, it seems all well and good. Personally, I've never used grappling hooks since on mobile they're kinda broken. It seems pretty useful, although maybe change the name of "Titan Slayer Gear" to appeal to those who don't watch, plus it doesn't seem to fit with the other two items if we're thinking stand-alone, non-referential.

Baconfry's mom is foxy I don't watch Attack on Titan, but it reminds me a little bit of Shadow of the Colossus. So, it seems all well and good. Personally, I've never used grappling hooks since on mobile they're kinda broken. It seems pretty useful, although maybe change the name of "Titan Slayer Gear" to appeal to those who don't watch, plus it doesn't seem to fit with the other two items if we're thinking stand-alone, non-referential.
I mean, most people are probably going to use it for the effects, and not because of what it's called. No harm in referencing something in popular culture (are people going to complain?). I guess I didn't do such a great job matching palettes, but they're together because of their effects, not because they're necessarily logical when combined.

Besides, this wouldn't the most illogical tinker. Vitamins and Armor Polish do not an Armor Bracing make.

Vitamins and Armor Polish do not an Armor Bracing make.
Yes. No?
People will always complain, too OP, not enough OP, etc. Personally, I don't think AoT is popular enough for a reference, although the Soul Scythe was planned at some point and I don't think too many people know too much about Soul Eater.

Yes. No?
People will always complain, too OP, not enough OP, etc. Personally, I don't think AoT is popular enough for a reference, although the Soul Scythe was planned at some point and I don't think too many people know too much about Soul Eater.
I mean, I assume less popular things would be more willing to allow a reference, as it's not going to hurt them and might gain them some more attention, while giants like Mario has their creators glaring at us thinking we're leeching off of them.

View attachment 32143
Osprey Talon
Improves grappling hook range and velocity.
Allows the player to grapple onto enemies. Upon being grappled, an enemy cannot deal damage to the player that grappled it, for a very, very brief time (less than two seconds). After that time is up, the hook disconnects automatically.
I love it!
However, I had some thoughts. Would the player be drawn to the enemy, or would the enemy be drawn to the player? Perhaps it could be determined by knockback resistance, with both entities being drawn proportional to the knockback resistance. Accessories like the cobalt shield would be ignored in these calculations. Can you imagine pulling a Paladin across the screen with this?

I love it!
However, I had some thoughts. Would the player be drawn to the enemy, or would the enemy be drawn to the player? Perhaps it could be determined by knockback resistance, with both entities being drawn proportional to the knockback resistance. Accessories like the cobalt shield would be ignored in these calculations. Can you imagine pulling a Paladin across the screen with this?
Hmm... considering that the game already has the ability to drag players around with the Grappling Hook but not enemies, it would be simpler to just have players drawn to enemies. Less work to do, and the end product is easier to use.

Back
Top Bottom