NPCs & Enemies Various Enemy Improvments- Making them more Interesting!

Alamandra Vonn Pravus

Dungeon Spirit
Well then. I find Terraria's wide range of enemies quite interesting. But sometimes they're a bit boring. Take the average slime. It's a perfect example of the average enemy that is horribly simple. Many enemies are like this. They are simply begging for a buff. So, I will grant them their wish. BUT! Because these improvements make enemies extremely powerful, these rare variants of enemies have a 1 in 50 chance of spawning. They'll look the same, they'll just have different abilities.
Jungle_Slime.png

Jungle Slimes
They will now inflict "Poison" when touching you. They also now also will be camoflauged, making them invisible. Upon you coming within 5 blocks of them, they will become uninvisible and spring at you, taking you by surprise.
Hornet.png

Hornets
They will now move much faster. They will fire 3-5 stingers in quick succesion that will inflict "Poison" in pre-hardmode and "Venom" in hardmode. After firing, they will fly away rapidly and recover 25 health. They will attack you in groups of 2-3.
Man_Eater.png

Man Eaters
They will move faster now. They will shoot out of blocks at extremely fast speeds, before retreating to safety again. They will inflict "Bleeding" and "Poison".
Mother_Slime.png

Mother Slime
They will have a slower move speed, but have higher health. Upon death, they will explode in a small blast of slime goop, inflicting "Blackout" and "Slow". Three baby slimes will shoot out too.
Toxic_Sludge.png

Toxic Sludge
Toxic Sludge now inflicts "Venom". They also every five seconds, they will spit a nasty bit of goopy toxic sludge.The projectiles inflict "Poison".
Meteor_Head.png

Meteor Head
They now have an 90% chance to inflict "On Fire!". Upon death, they explode in a fiery explosion that inflicts "On Fire!" and deals 50 damage in a 3 by 3 block radius.
Fire_Imp.png

Fire Imps
Fire Imps now every five seconds spawn a Hell Bat to make the Imps even more annoying.
Possessed_Armor.png

Possessed Armour
They now can have a 33.3% chance of inflicting "Blackout" and "Broken Armour".

That's all for now! More coming!

Last edited:
I feel like these seem a bit more like expert mode buffs versus normal gameplay. But, good suggestion overall
Pretty much sums it up.
But on the topic of expert mode, the Fire Imp suggestion would make Hell literally Hell, if you know what I mean (In case you didn't know, lava slimes, when killed, spawn one tile of lava, which is probably the only thing I don't like about expert mode).

Hmm conceptually I like the intention but this goes probably a bit too far I think they would either have to be rarer variants (limited to expert only akin to bone tossing Skeletons) or weakened enough for the average experienced player that or restricted to hardmode behaviors as it would restrict challenge runs and early game experimentation. (after all prehardmode is as far as I can tell more of a tutorial on the basics of terraria so the training wheels can be removed for the rest of the game)

Going into a bit more detail.

Jungle slime-I presume they would work like psychos? This feels like it should be its own variant akin to how spiked Jungle slimes are their own thing maybe Hunter slime?

Hornets-No this goes to far... that said it has potential to become balanced or something more perhaps beehives (as they can spawn hornets) could serve as a healing station for hornets (as in they go in get healed and come back buffed(faster stinger shot times w/ buffed poison?) in exchange they would die instantly if the nest they were in was destroyed while "inside" it meanwhile have moss hornets deal venom as they are a hardmode only variant of hornets(and the two debuffs can stack...)

Maneaters-This is pure sadism here.. just wow... Maneaters very high damage is justified prehardmode because they are meant to be an avoidable threat for wary players. this removes that mechanic turning the jungle into a death trap. Too unbalenced even for expert mode at least prehardmode. Perfectly fine in hardmode training wheels are off by then ;)

Mother slime-this one feels more like a hardmode upgrade to be honest. the behavior is too different and without having players fight normal motehr slimes first it is a bit much of a jump...

Toxic Sludge-Swap venom to the projectiles the stronger debuff should go to the rarer projectile perhaps with a relatively strong parabolic arc and higher damage(so as to make it feel like concentrated ooze) *If buffed I would only accept it if we got a toxic sludge pet :joy: )

meteor head- should likewise be a hardmode change/rarer variant as the explosion would unfairly cripple prehardmode melee (by turning killing the meteor heads into a forced suicide for melee players lacking a small subset of melee weapons especially given the sheer quantities at which these guys spawn)

Pretty much sums it up.
But on the topic of expert mode, the Fire Imp suggestion would make Hell literally Hell, if you know what I mean (In case you didn't know, lava slimes, when killed, spawn one tile of lava, which is probably the only thing I don't like about expert mode).
Yeah you can literally flood hell by killing them now the endless water bucket obtained in hardmode circumvents this but prior to hardmode it is a very real problem. How about hell bats instead?

In general I can see these as expert mode improvements or perhaps variants as considering the frequency of some of these enemies the effects are a bit strong.

I have no words to describe the feeling of true fear I got when I was reading this.

Jungle_Slime.png

Jungle Slimes
They will now inflict "Poison" when touching you. They also now also will be camoflauged, making them invisible. Upon you coming within 5 blocks of them, they will become uninvisible and spring at you, taking you by surprise.
Hornet.png

Hornets
They will now move much faster. They will fire 3-5 stingers in quick succesion that will inflict "Poison" in pre-hardmode and "Venom" in hardmode. After firing, they will fly away rapidly and recover 25 health. They will attack you in groups of 2-3.
Man_Eater.png

Man Eaters
They will move faster now. They will shoot out of blocks at extremely fast speeds, before retreating to safety again. They will inflict "Bleeding" and "Poison".
You just made the jungle impossible to go through.

Mother_Slime.png

Mother Slime
They will have a slower move speed, but have higher health. Upon death, they will explode in a small blast of slime goop, inflicting "Blackout" and "Slow". Three baby slimes will shoot out too.
Toxic_Sludge.png

Toxic Sludge
Toxic Sludge now inflicts "Venom". They also every five seconds, they will spit a nasty bit of goopy toxic sludge.The projectiles inflict "Poison".
The underground would become a graveyard from the DoT and blindness.

Fire_Imp.png

Fire Imps
Fire Imps now every five seconds spawn a Hell Bat to make the Imps even more annoying.
I cannot describe how much this would screw anyone who dared go into the underworld over.

I honestly cannot support these changes getting added to the game at all.

Um, did you see that I said these improved monsters have a one in fifty chance in spawning? The regular ones will spawn of course, these one's are just rarer.

Back
Top Bottom