What are your dreams for Terraria 2?

Whatever it is you think you want, throw that idea out and think deeper. This is will be an opportunity for the fundamental nature of the game to be radically different in ways that are refreshing yet familiar.
  • Think about current core game mechanics (movement, combat, building, mining, storage/inventory, etc.) and how they could be redesigned or replaced.
  • Think about the art style (characters, creatures, enemies, environment, etc.) and how it could be spruced up.
  • Think about other 2D platformers and sandboxes you enjoy and what elements you’d like to borrow from them.
  • Think about what Terraria 1 has that should never be changed, lest it lose its heart and soul.
  • Think about what you dislike – or even (dare I say it) HATE – about Terraria 1 that should be left behind so its sequel can soar even higher.
I also extend an invitation to Re-Logic and its developers to chime in with anything they’ve personally dreamed of (with us fans fully understanding that those dreams may not necessarily reflect the final product).

I think that the entire game could be reimagined in such a fresh way. I imagine new art and new general weapon mechanics, combined with a fresh approach to enemies. I think most core game mechanics will be the same, perhaps with some minor additions, but mostly the same to preserve its feel.

To spruce something up, I would pick NPCs. They were overhauled in both 1.3 and 1.4, but they are all really just some improvements to the 1.0 npcs. If they were completely reworked, they could have some true dialogue options and quests that could be completed. Imagine how cool it would be to do quests from npc and get some unique (NOT RNG) rewards!

It could borrow some fun ideas for unique pre-hardmode lateral movement from any number of various platformers. It would be cool to see some imagined ideas for movement items that werent wings as well, since they are pretty standard.

Something that should never be changed? Wall of Flesh. Even if all the bosses are reworked in T2, there is nothing like sacrificing Andrew the guide to spawn such an iconic boss to get into hardmode.

Something to be left behind? The dye system. I think it works fine for what it is, but the dyes are so annoying to manage. The entire system could be replaced with a dye slot overhaul, where you can pick and choose colours at will that are unlocked through the dye trader and miscellaneous quests.

I expect better programming.
1694159002673.png

Combat

I’d really like to see a greater differentiation between the combat classes. Currently, all four classes converge into basically the same combat style: flying around at high speeds spamming unending amounts of projectiles.
  • Imagine a melee class where dashes and parries are a core component of the class – and unavailable to (or at least extremely limited for) the other classes.
  • Imagine mages losing access to mana potions and the mana flower (i.e. they actually have to carefully consider their attacks and take opportunities to let their mana regenerate) and having more spells that are powerful yet weird (Magnet Sphere, Clinger Staff, Staff of Earth, etc.). Also picture consumable spells, like scrolls and such.
  • Imagine a summoner whose summons actually have health and can draw aggro.
NPCs and Crafting

I’ve grown pretty tired of the sandbox trope where the player character knows how to craft everything and all that the NPCs are good for is having their little shops to sell things that aren’t quite worth making a whole new enemy to drop. I’d like to see a system where NPCs are the ones that do the actual crafting and require the player to go out and gather materials – or maybe even require other NPCs to create the materials. This could be taken even further by having each NPC require particular furniture in their houses to be able to get the job done (furnace and anvil for a blacksmith, bookshelf and crystal ball for a wizard, etc.).

Equipment and Loot

While I love many of the weapons and accessories available in Terraria, I’m not really a fan of bosses dropping whole, complete, ready-to-go gear. I’d prefer a system where bosses drop components that must be taken and combined with basic crafted gear (plain swords, empty tomes, etc.) to make the items we know and love. Several items in Terraria are made like this, and I find them to be the most satisfying to obtain. Just imagine if the Pumpking, instead of directly dropping the Horseman’s Blade, dropped a component that had to be combined with a Chlorophyte Claymore to then craft the Horseman’s Blade.

Vanity, Dyes, etc.

There are a ridiculous number of dyes in the game, and I think a lot of what they do could be split into two categories: basic colors and special effects. For example, instead of having Hades Dye, Burning Hades Dye, Shadowflame Hades Dye, Grim Dye, and Loki’s Dye all as individual dyes, just have the “Hades” effect that can be combined with two basic colors (one for the clothing part and one for the color of the flame/smoke coming off of the clothing) to obtain the desired look.

It would also be cool if there was a wardrobe furniture piece that could be interacted with to perform all vanity customization, taking much of the clutter away from the standard inventory view. Here, players could also be able to use a 360° color wheel to “rotate” their appearance through the color spectrum, allowing vanity items to maintain their color designs without washing them out with a solid color dye. This would allow something like turning the Stardust Armor from blue and yellow to purple and green.

————————

Anyway, I’ll probably think of some more stuff later. There are all sorts of possibilities.

1. NO MICROTRANSACTIONS! That would decrease the love to the game!
2. Avoid super duper super duper deeply nested if statements, on Reddit there was a photo of if(Cond1){if(Cond2){...if(Cond100){dosth();}}}, that would improve performance in multiplayer
3. That you don't need a NASA PC to play it
4. That the buy price of the game is $10, the very max $20 and not like some games wanting over 100 dollars

I hope it includes many more biomes, mini biomes, and structures. I'd love to have a candy/food biome, a crystal cave minibiome would be nice

A sequel to Terraria would basically be a TOTK situation where the devs would see ideas, or see a singular big idea pile up more and more until it became too big to fit in just one update. Most Terraria 2 concepts would work far better as an update to Terraria itself.

Another reason for Terraria 2 not happening is that it would have MASSIVE shoes to fill. Compared to all those years ago, Re-Logic hasn't grown massively, so content addition will be similarly slow compared to Terraria's early days, unless Redigit hires a ton of new artists and programmers, which I can't imagine him doing (most indie devs tend to avoid growing too large because it's hard to manage larger teams and passion projects tend to only be shared by a select few.) Terraria 2 would be more barebones than Skeletron if it was made, because its predecessor has been afforded 12 whole years to grow and prosper.

What I see being more likely is a spin-off, or a game with the same flavour as Terraria (action/adventure game with sandbox elements) but with a different style, basically Starbound or Pixel Pirates, the latter being another Re-Logic game, and the former being a game extremely similar to Terraria that basically died years ago. Your only real hope of another game is if Red or Cenxx get truly tired of developing Terraria (based on current projections, that's not happening, but spaghetti code is a devious thing) and the two decide to develop another game that's justifiably different from Terraria.

As much as it hurts to say, Red made the right move cancelling Otherworld. But I reckon at some point all the ideas/experiments he's been doing after "final updates" will blossom into something new.

A sequel to Terraria would basically be a TOTK situation where the devs would see ideas, or see a singular big idea pile up more and more until it became too big to fit in just one update. Most Terraria 2 concepts would work far better as an update to Terraria itself.

Another reason for Terraria 2 not happening is that it would have MASSIVE shoes to fill. Compared to all those years ago, Re-Logic hasn't grown massively, so content addition will be similarly slow compared to Terraria's early days, unless Redigit hires a ton of new artists and programmers, which I can't imagine him doing (most indie devs tend to avoid growing too large because it's hard to manage larger teams and passion projects tend to only be shared by a select few.) Terraria 2 would be more barebones than Skeletron if it was made, because its predecessor has been afforded 12 whole years to grow and prosper.

What I see being more likely is a spin-off, or a game with the same flavour as Terraria (action/adventure game with sandbox elements) but with a different style, basically Starbound or Pixel Pirates, the latter being another Re-Logic game, and the former being a game extremely similar to Terraria that basically died years ago. Your only real hope of another game is if Red or Cenxx get truly tired of developing Terraria (based on current projections, that's not happening, but spaghetti code is a devious thing) and the two decide to develop another game that's justifiably different from Terraria.

As much as it hurts to say, Red made the right move cancelling Otherworld. But I reckon at some point all the ideas/experiments he's been doing after "final updates" will blossom into something new.
I agree.
I think that If Re-Logic were to grow furthermore, then Re-logic would have to invest a lot of money and time into Terraria 2 and I would say they already have enough things to do.

I dont want it to exist, and it wont exist.

This is the perfect explanation to what I am saying.

Back
Top Bottom