tModLoader Secrets of the Shadows Terraria Mod

VortexOfRainbows

Spazmatism
**IMPORTANT: I don't update the forum page much anymore! Please check out the discord or the workshop page (when we release for 1.4) for more information!**
Secrets of the Shadows
A Terraria Mod
Discord Server
SOTS is a content mod that has been developed by essentially just myself for a while now. The primary focus of the mod is to add fun bosses, items, and world generation. Keep in mind that this is an ongoing project.
Here's some of my favorite parts!

Most up to date showcase:

GitGudWO Trailer

The Pyramid
Capture 2020-06-15 16_00_29.png

An entirely new generated structure filled with loot and hand crafted rooms. It contains plenty of loot from the mod and base game, as well as a new Boss. In order to enter the pyramid, you must defeat the Brain of Cthulhu or the Eater of Worlds.
Capture 2020-06-15 16_08_48.png

Ice Monument
Capture 2020-06-15 16_15_44.png

The Snow Biome also recieves some new structures. Currently, it serves one purpose: to summon a new hardmode boss. But I plan to incorporate a dungeon similar to the pyramid as well!

The Planetarium
Capture 2021-01-25 09_36_37.png

A palace in the sky, full of loot. Comes with its own boss. It can be challenged at any time, but is meant to be fought before the Wall of Flesh.

Biome Constructs
Capture 2020-06-15 16_22_25.png

Capture 2021-01-25 09_25_22.png

The primary method of obtaining loot in the mod is via enemy drops. There are currently only four now, but there will eventually be eight different biome constructs. These enemies drop valuable ingredients for modded items, and each have an additional second phase that will grant access to later game items. The items they drop may also be dropped by any enemy within their biome.

The Void Meter
VoidMeter.PNG

The final main addition of the mod is the Void Meter. It acts as a resource similar to mana, but encompassing all classes (including summoner). Void weapons are especially powerful, but Void is a sparse resource, and takes a long time to recharge. In addition, being low on void will incur several life regeneration lowering debuffs.

Are you willing to pay the price for power?
Capture 2020-06-15 16_39_13.png

Note: Development may be slow, we have a small team. That being said, adding content to this mod has been my personal hobby for a few years now, and I have no plans of stopping.
Changelog 0.20.0
New Stuff:
Pyramid and Pharaoh's have been reworked
Planetarium has recieved visual reworks
New Enemies in the Pyramid
New furniture set in Pyramid
Added new items in various places, such as a new Subspace drop, new enemy drops, and Traveling Merchant items
Pharaoh's Curse (debuff), and the method of entering the Pyramid has been changed

Balancing:
Suprem nerf; is now much harder to obtain, making it less overpowered
Spirit surfer nerf; void drain 40 -> 60, now moves slower 20 -> 16

Frigid Robe nerf; defense 4 -> 1, now reduces void damage by 15% as part of set bonus
Vibrant Armor buff; defense increased by 1 on all pieces

Code Corrupter buff; use time 30 -> 24
Photon Geyser nerf; damage 50 -> 42
Doomstick buff; damage 26 -> 31, 140% -> 250%, now always shoots 4 bullets instead of 3-4
Hyperice Cluster Cannon buff; damage 27 -> 30, usetime 29 -> 26
Pathogen Regurgitator buff; increased velocity and accuracy, damage 40 -> 45
Sandstone Edge sidegrade; fires less bolts overall, damage 28 -> 30, crit chance 4% -> 14%
Ripple Potion effect sidegrade; now scales worse when stacked with accessories but has better base damage
Coconut Gun sidegrade; damage 23 -> 17, void cost 40 -> 24
Miner Sword sidegrade; crit chance 10% -> 4%, always crits while falling
Pharaoh's Cane buff; increased knockback, damage 6 -> 11, inflicts midas
Hungry Hunter sidegrade; damage 19 -> 21, doesn't increase max void anymore

Earthen Spirit nerf; max life 1000 (1500) -> 900 (1350)
Otherworldly Construct buff; max life 500 (1000) -> 750 (1500)
Polaris buff; max life 30000 (42000) -> 36000 (46000), cannons max life 1000 (1500) -> 1200 (1800)

Misc:
Added visual improvements, reworks, and resprites in many areas
Other internal improvements
Many items and enemies have also recieved functional reworks
Added QoL changes, such as a keybind to Machina Booster
Planetary Analyzer's tooltip now hints towards summoning Advisor better
Modified and added new crafting recipes for various items
Changes some item droprates from enemies
Modified Pyramid and Planetarium spawnrates
Lowered tidal construct spawnrates
Increased Permafrost construct spawnrates

Bug Fixes:
Fixed some multiplayer packet issues
Fixed a certain starter house variant not spawning a chest
Earthen construct should no longer crash your game (for real this time)

Changelog 0.19.3
New Stuff:
New Expert Drop from Icy Amalgamation (Name changed to Polaris).
New Expert Drop from Subspace Serpent, this one is pretty strong and may be nerfed later. Depends on reception.
New Expert Drop from Pharaoh's Curse.
A handful of new items and a TON of resprites.
New Lesser Wisp enemy in that spawns in groups in hell.
Added 10 different variations of the Starter House that can be found upon world generation.
New Music + Music Boxes

Balancing:
Subspace Scissors damage 180 -> 190, no longer an expert drop
Spirit tracer is no longer an expert drop, reduced draw iterations to improve framerate
Tidal Construct dungeon spawn rates lowered by 45%
Calculator now only applies homing once, this should also improve framerate
Planetarium max spawns reduced by 20%
Goopwoop Helix damage 22 -> 20
Assassination potion no longer works on bosses or causes critical strikes automatically
Void Shock now lasts for ten seconds and makes you take more damage while active.
Void Recovery lasts slightly longer and has higher base negative life regen

Misc:
Polaris has recieved some visual changes, optimizations, and balancing changes (Courtesy of Heart Plus Up!)
Pearlescent core removed
Normalzied some sell values
Door pants works better now
Subspace Serpents cross attack is now less RNG dependent
Terminator Acorns has reduced draw iterations when trailing to improve framerate
Advisor is now summoned when using Planetary Analyzer (Worldgen scanner), which is still found in the Starter House.
Chaos Spirit Staff now stops attacking enemies more than 200 tiles away from the player, this is meant to make it stop despawning against Subspace Serpent in particular.

Bug Fixes:
Fixed bug where Advisor would launch towards the player after the tracer attack, instead of going backwards as intended.
Putrid Pinky now drops items correctly in normal mode.
Fixed Cursed Blade hitting more than intended.
Chaos Spirit Staff no longer spawns in the Strange Chest loot pool, now the Otherworldly Spirit Staff spawns as intended.
Void minions are now properly removed after cycling void accesories, and no longer increases max void
The Centerpiece of the Pyramid now triggers the biome consistently, allowing you to fish there even if you are infront of other walls.
Acedia Portal now properly spawns on smaller worlds (sometimes it wouldn't spawn at all).

Changelog 0.19.2
Balance Changes
Items
Phase Cannon: damage 30 -> 27, creates lightning
Jeweled Gauntlet has been reworked. Now a Void-Melee weapon with better damage, fire rate, homing, and velocity.
Starbelt now heals slightly less mana overall.
Pitati Longbow now shoots an emerald bolt in addition to a regular arrow instead of two arrows.
Sandstone edge no longer shoots sand puffs, no releases emerald on crit; daamage 26 -> 2, usetime 25 -> 22
Sandstone Warhammer: damage 21 -> 23
Imperial Pike now has a damage trail.
Royal Magnum: damage 11 -> 14, usetime 15 -> 14, knockback 4 -> 2.5, visuals changed
Ghoul Blaster: increased homing, knockback 1.7 -> 3, visuals changed
Cursed Impale damage 26 -> 30, now launches a ruby bolt
Shatter Blade: damage 11 -> 15, shard damage 9 -> 15, spawns 4 shards instead of 3
Shatter Shard Chestplate: life regen 1 -> 2
Manic Miner: Void cost 4 -> 6, no longer has spread
Spore Bombs: spore damage 75% -> 50%
Dark Eye: Void cost 4 -> 5
Shatter Heart Shield: HP boost 10 -> 20
Earthen Spirit Staff: damage 21 -> 16, now a void weapon, attacks slower
Sport Club: damage 9 -> 11, usetime 34 -> 30, velocity 4.5 -> 5, pierce 2 -> 3, damage falloff from piercing 50% -> 25%
Flower Spell: bloom damage 400% -> 500%, mana cost 4 -> 5
Green Jellyfish Staff: damage 66 -> 70
Patch Leather: damage 5% -> 10%
Icicle Impale: no longer takes sanguite, damage 72 -> 5, voidcost 5 -> 7
Spectre Spirit Storm: usetime 16 -> 13
Focus Crystal: crit damage bonus 40 -> 60

Vibrant Items have received minor reworks and buffs.
Subspace Serpent drops have all received major buffs and some reworks.
Crushers have been reworked almost in their entirety.
Normalized many sell price values to make more sense.

Misc + NPCs
Modified the pyramid spawn pools to no longer include most vanilla NPCs.
Some droprate modifications, including increased droprates for inferno fragments among hell enemies.
Some minibosses have higher costs when marked by Cursed Apple.
Many crafting recipe changes.
Bees have nerfed damage against certain bosses.
Holoslimes teleport 1 block further above the player when warping.
Arctic Goblin: modified spawnrates (lower)
Spirits:
Nature Spirit: health 250 -> 275, damage 34 -> 30 (54 -> 44)
Permafrost Spirit: damage 64 -> 60 (90 -> 80)
Bug Fixes
Crescent staff is now a magic item.
Advisor no longer causes boss zen errors with Calamity.
Earthen Construct should no longer cause game crashes in some scenarios.
Pot Gen should work better in multiplayer.
Calculator should cause less lag.
Putrid Eye no longer fires slower when held down as opposed to when using timed releases.
A handful of multiplayer fixes.
Fixed rounding error for boss health in expert mode. Advisor and Icy Amalgamation.
Updated support for boss checklist.
Added a ton of resprites for many items and NPCs.
Added Void + Summon weapons.
Putrid Pinky recieved some minor reworks.
Subspace Serpent has been completely reworked.
Added a new worldgen structure in the Ocean.
Void bar stays in the same position after relog.
Add Pyramid, Planetarium, and Putrid Pinky music.
Added some new enemies.
Added a handful of new items, such as new biome chest variants.

Changelog 0.19.0
Balance Changes
Void regen is more dynamic, with increased regen while not moving and based on current health and void stats
Items

Wormwood Parasite: Void critical strike 0 -> 8%, critical hits heal void 0 -> 0.33, Voidspace emblem has similar changes
Void Charm: Void steal 1.25 -> 2.5-3.5
Soul Charm: Void steal 1.25 -> 2.25
Clover Charm: Crit Chance 2% -> 3%, Heal 2-4 -> 3-5, Focus Reticle has similar changes
Icosahedrons: Crit Chance 0 -> 3%, Each now generates a special attack upon crit instead of simply applying a negligible debuff
Platinum Scythe: Crit Chance 25 -> 15, damage 19 -> 32, usetime 21 -> 30, kb 1.55 -> 4, Curse effect overhauled, voidcost 5 -> 10
Platinum Dart: usetime 22 -> 15, damage 20 -> 15, velocity 12.5 -> 14, voidcost 4 -> 3, slowdown overhauled, deteriorates slower, changed tile collide hitbox
Gold Arc Staff: Damage 24 -> 40, Aura 250% -> 150%, but radius increase 196 -> 216
Gold Glaive: Orb Damage 45% -> 75%, Damage 21 -> 28, Usetime 20 -> 31, range increased
Earthen Spirit Staff: damage 19 -> 21
Vibrant Cannon: Damage 20 -> 18, voidcost 20 -> 22
Frigid Javelin: damage 30 -> 42, usetime 48 -> 44, triggers less I-frames, voidcost 7 -> 5, now bounces once without the armor
Frigid Armor: Defense (crown, robe, greaves, chestplate), (2, 3, 3, 7) -> (3, 4, 4, 10), setbonus changes, greaves increase voidspeed, chestplate setbonus changed
Putrid Eye: damage: 36 -> 50, range and size increased
Wormwood Staff: Overhaul visuals, stats, and effects
Wormwood Crystal: damage 14 -> 16
Wormwood Spike: damage 28 -> 32
Wormwood Helix: reuse delay removed, overhauled visuals
Explosive Knife: damage 17 -> 15, usetime 15 -> 17, velocity 12.8 -> 12
Shield of Desecar and Stekpla: every 4 items instead of 5, craftable, Desuver crit chance increased by 1%
Dark Eye: void cost 5 -> 4, damage to void ratio increased

Crushers: damage increased across the board

Jellyfish Staves: Overhauled visuals, ricochet, accuracy buffs.
Purple: Projectiles fired 8 -> 7, Damage 40 -> 32, Voidcost 4 -> 7, usetime 18 -> 20, no longer drains void in the inventory
Pink: Damage 18 -> 14, mana 10 -> 13, usetime 19 -> 20
Blue: Damage 21 -> 17, mana 12 -> 15
Green: Attack overhauled completely, damage 60 -> 66

Apocalypse: Damage 66 -> 100, firerate decreased, void cost increased
Armageddon: Damage 69 -> 100, void cost 3 -> 5
Ceremonial Knife: damage 60 -> 66, Lifesteal: 5% -> 2.5% damage
Dance of Death: Damage 60 -> 66, usetime 34 -> 30, mana 14 -> 12
Demension Shredder: damage 34 -> 38
Plasma Cutter: damage 110 -> 140
Galaxy Blade: damage 70 -> 84
Voidspace Aura Staff: damage 48 -> 46, overall reduced stat gain, slower attack speed, radius scales better
Starstorm spell: damage 56 -> 60, usetime 11 -> 10, velocity decreased, stars spawn closer to cursor
Stellar Serpent Staff: Damage 40 -> 50, velocity 21.5 -> 20, mana cost 27 -> 22, triggers less I-frames, no longer crafted with wormwood staff, creates less projectiles, last longer, goes further
Stellar Shot: usetime 21 -> 18, damage 42 -> 44
Icicle Impale: damage 52 -> 72, Hyperice rockets do 100% damage instead of 79%, also fuctions as a buff to hyperice cluster cannon, void healing effect modified

Enchanted Pickaxe: damage 12 -> 14, usetime 20 -> 18, range +2 -> +3
Vibe potion duration increased: 3 -> 6 min
Spore Bomb: spore damage 60% -> 75%

More expensive to craft Rod of Discord from curse fragments
Curse Ward is no longer required to access the pyramid, it instead is accessible straight after EoW or BoC.
Many minions have been given independent i frame counters, but have received some stat nerfs to compensate.
Critical strike healing in all forms now has a buffer and a cap, to limit endless healing.
Some Void Healing items recipes removed. Drop rates increased.
NPCs
Deadly Fragment: damage 43 -> 35, health 40 -> 35
Curse Fragment: damage 45 -> 35, health 80 -> 60

Constructs:
Permafrost construct: spawn rate 0.0125 -> 0.01, Health 325 -> 275, damage 33 -> 25
Nature Construct: forest spawn rate 0.0125 -> 0.01 (jungle spawn rates remain the same), Health 175 -> 125, damage 30 -> 20
Earthen Construct: Fires 1 less projectile per burst in Expert, damage 24 -> 16, Health 300 -> 225, Defense 0 -> 12, underground Spawn rate 0.0075 -> 0.005
Spirit health decreased across the board.
Money drops increased across the board.

Slimes:
Treasure Slime: damage 27 -> 17, health 45 -> 35
Gold Treasure Slime: damage 40 -> health 150 -> 90, defense 7 -> 8
Frozen Treasure Slime: damage 38 -> 30, health 60 -> 70, defense 3 -> 6
Pyramid Treasure Slime: damage 45 -> 36, health 200 -> 140, defense 7 -> 12
Shadow Treasure Slime: damage 45 -> 40, health 150 -> 160, defense 7 -> 12
Money drops normalized across the board.

Bosses:
Serpents: Cross attacks have a glowmask now

Bug Fixes
Fixed bug with void max not properly updating when wearing armor or accessories meant to increase void max
Fixed bug where strawberry ice cream wouldn't drop in expert mode
Fixed bug with flaming ghast explosions not releasing synced projectiles in multiplayer
Fixed Voidspace Aura Cell despawning when it shouldn't
Fixed Voidspace Aura Cell critical striking when it shouldn't
Fixed bug where purple bobber would not go through platforms

Earthen Construct no longer spawns at beaches
Wall mimic unique death synced in multiplayer
Wall placement speeds buffed to match vanilla
Pet's are now affected by dyes
Removed cryo cannon from frozen treasure slime item pool

Void Meter will save upon exiting, preventing necessary consumption of void consumables
Pyramid will now attempt to spawn on non-sand tiles if it cannot find an area to spawn.

Credits
(Current Developers)
Programmer, Direction, Art: Vortex#6230
Emotional Support, Direction, Art: TacoBurritoGuacamole
Art: HugeKraken
Music: BananaLizard, Heart Plus Up!
Testers: DreadSoul

(Past Developers)
Art: Blasfah
Misc, Direction: FlameFreezer

(Contributors)
Art: Arcri, DeJuiceTD
Testers: Crimsonkeep

(Other Contributions)
Audio Engineering: apotofkoolaid
Item glowmask code: Qwerty3.14
Minor Art Contributions: Naka, Heart Plus Up!

Last edited:
So, this mod has a thread now. That is a great decision because it'll be easier for people to ask you questions about your mod and give their feedback. Awesome mod, by the way.

Looks like a cool mod, but haven't been able to use it. Tried adding this to my list of mods, but it crashes when I try to create and load a new world. Didn't have this issue before today, and the crashing stops when I disable the mod.

I've attached a log that was created when it crashed, in case this can help you find a solution.
Alt: client.log

Attachments

• client.log
    65.7 KB · Views: 281
Yeah diddo, this mod shares a problem that Mod of Redemption has: Where if you at any point, reload mods when this mod was enabled, your game will crash on entering a world (even IF you disable this mod after doing the above first)

I have no clue what causes this spritebatch error, I only know how to recreate it

Looks like a cool mod, but haven't been able to use it. Tried adding this to my list of mods, but it crashes when I try to create and load a new world. Didn't have this issue before today, and the crashing stops when I disable the mod.

I've attached a log that was created when it crashed, in case this can help you find a solution.
Alt: client.log

Yeah diddo, this mod shares a problem that Mod of Redemption has: Where if you at any point, reload mods when this mod was enabled, your game will crash on entering a world (even IF you disable this mod after doing the above first)

I have no clue what causes this spritebatch error, I only know how to recreate it

I also have no clue what caused the problem and I've tried to resolve it with no luck. It seems to happen with other mods that include UI too, but I'm uncertain.
After the game crashes, you should be able to join a world just fine, and with nothing lost. It only happens after the first load of the mod.

It only happens when the above requirements are met, in otherwords... you aren't going to lose any progress or data, so the crash is not a super huge gamebreaking deal
PS: This mod has alot of potential on top of cool ideas and concepts out of the box, impressed me at various points, keep up the good work!

how do you enter the pyramid?
the debuff kills me so is there a boss i have to kill first or an item i need?
It's an item called the Curse Ward, and it requires Shadow Scales/Tissue Samples, Fragments of Evil and Earth, and a Warding Charm. The Warding Charm is made from Copper/Tin.

Hey, i made the warding charm but it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever to the rate of life drain.
i still go from 300 to 0 in about 3-4 seconds, which is the same as without it so i am not able to enter the pyramid at all.
am i supposed to do something else apart from the charm?

Hey, i made the warding charm but it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever to the rate of life drain.
i still go from 300 to 0 in about 3-4 seconds, which is the same as without it so i am not able to enter the pyramid at all.
am i supposed to do something else apart from the charm?
You still have to make it into the Curse Ward.

Hey, my buddy and I have downloaded this mod along with a few others, I was wanting to roll with a void build because it's new and cool. However my first set (vibrant) isn't working correctly, it says I have 150 void but only generates up to 100 and even consuming almond milk for example doesn't allow me to go above that. Is this a common issue or a known issue with a fix?

Hey, my buddy and I have downloaded this mod along with a few others, I was wanting to roll with a void build because it's new and cool. However my first set (vibrant) isn't working correctly, it says I have 150 void but only generates up to 100 and even consuming almond milk for example doesn't allow me to go above that. Is this a common issue or a known issue with a fix?
I've never actually heard of anyone with that issue before. I will look into it.

Edit1: I've found out that it is a multiplayer issue and only occurs with accessories and armor that change max void. Not with the permanent increase items.

Edit2: I think I have isolated the error. It is not something you can fix on your end. It will be fixed next update. Also, void is not a particularly fleshed out class yet, so you may not be able to reach endgame with it.

Last edited:
I've never actually heard of anyone with that issue before. I will look into it.

Edit1: I've found out that it is a multiplayer issue and only occurs with accessories and armor that change max void. Not with the permanent increase items.

Edit2: I think I have isolated the error. It is not something you can fix on your end. It will be fixed next update. Also, void is not a particularly fleshed out class yet, so you may not be able to reach endgame with it.
Awesome, Thank your for letting me know :) love the mod so far beside that issue.

Hey,
I just updated this mod as I hadn't played terraria for a few months and upon making new char and entering new world my void is stuck at zero.
I start loosing health so I used cheat sheet to spawn in some almond milk, to stop me dying long enough to figure out what was going on, but it doesn't increase my void.....It is stuck at 0/100 and will not increase.

Back
Top Bottom