Console Console 1.3.1.

Should "Last gen" get the 1.3.1. update?

• Total voters

Chris Dis99

Terrarian
I play on Xbox 360, and personally I feel like it sucks that "Last gen" won't even get the 1.3.1. update. Not 360, PS3, or PS Vita. I get that it's all about evolution and aging on into a more improved company and brand for " Current gen" and PC but there's still tons of dedicated Terrarians on "last gen" (such as myself) who are now being put aside and reminded that "Last gen" is just dying out. I've been plotting, building and dreaming of finally fighting the new bosses and events and I couldn't wait, but sadly myself and many others are being denied that now. Congrats to "Current gen". I guess "Last gen" is just not worth the time for being too old. Sadly. Not that it matters, but I would love to know how any console player feels about this.

I might be the developer, at least for a little while longer, but as a die-hard console gamer I understand the disappointment. I hardly ever played Terraria on PC anymore since we made the original ports. Of course I am lucky enough to also own a PS4 so I can continue to play Terraria on consoles... that being said, regardless of how sad the news is, it is an understandable decision. After we did the 1.2 update the console version was already showing strain issues, every further content update required mass amounts of memory optimization to get the new stuff in. With the last 1.2.4. content update, there was nothing left to optimize (and we had to turn off background apps on Vita to make it work).

This basically means that for 1.3, we would have no choice but to overhaul the complete engine to support streaming (which is how the mobile version works) of assets and tiles. Basically this frees up memory, but increases the load on the CPU. It would be a non-stop balancing act between freeing up enough memory for new content, and keeping performance up to a respectable standard. In the end, 505 Games decided it would not be worth the (significant!) investment to try and keep the updates going on previous gen consoles, especially since there was no guarantee that even with streaming the game would run 1.3 in a decent state.

In the end, you might not like it, but I hope that with some explanation it at least makes sense...many months were taken to make the decision, and even though we will not be part of Terraria's future updates I agree with 505's final decision.

So if the mobile version of 1.3.1 works with "overhauling the complete engine to support streaming...," why can't it work on "last gen" consoles?

Maybe it could (although at that point CPU performance would become an issue as I explained) but at that point I am sure it became an economical decision on 505's part. Microsoft officialy announced they would stop supporting X360, I am sure Sony won't be far behind on abandoning maintaining the PS3's infrastructure and firmware. New games aren't made for those platforms anymore...at some point it becomes a moot point. For comparison, Skyrim had 3 DLC updates and support/bug fixing was halted 3 months after the release of the last DLC...and that was a $60 game. I think there is plenty of reason to be disappointed, but no reason to feel robbed.

Considering how you are, I can only believe that you voted for "No"..
The votes are publicly visible. Click on no, I didn't vote there.

I would like it if there was some way to bring 1.3 onto the previous generation of consoles. I'm no programmer but the people who are and have been working on it don't think it would be practical.

guys, some of you are being a bit hard on them... they've done all they can do, i'm sure.

if there were a way to get all the content on the last-gen without compromising the stability of the game, i'm sure they'd have done it.

but from what i'm hearing, everywhere i look... it sounds like it would've just started breaking down at some point.

i guarantee that if they HAD tried it, and released a broken 1.3... you guys would've all complained and said they should've never done it, because that's how it always goes.

i have a ps4, but i'm in a tough spot and can't really afford games all that easily, anymore... so i won't be getting current-gen terraria for quite awhile.

even though i was hoping for us to get all the content on ps3 and everything... i can understand that they reached the limit.

don't blame them for the limits on technology... it's just how things are.

there always comes a time when we need to upgrade to the next generation of gaming if we want to continue playing games, it's been like that since gaming was introduced.

even PC players with older computers got left in the dust at one point, from the sound of it.

just be glad that terraria is still on consoles, and while you may need to upgrade to the current gen, we'll still be getting caught up with the PC version, in more ways than one, since they're not just matching the content, but how the game looks and plays.

They are still making games for the Xbox 360. And when did Microsoft say they weren't supporting the Xbox 360

Back
Top Bottom