Bad lag in multiplayer

azazeldeath

Terrarian
Hey I am now encountering really bad lag spikes whilst in multiplayer and hosting. I have always hosted the server in the past (when the game was new) on an old laptop and never had issues.

But now I am getting very common lag spikes, at first I thought it was my CPU overheating and it was sitting around 41c which is as hot as my CPU will get under full load and well within what I would call safe for an i7-6700k

My interest speeds are more than enough to host (infact when I used to host alot I was only having 40/15mbs I am now 100/40).

PC specs are:
i7-6700k watercooled overclocked to 4.7Ghz
16gb DDR4 RAM
RX480 8gb video card
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 6
1X Kingston SSDNow V300 120Gb
2X (in RAID) Samsung 950 PRO m.2 256gb SSDs
2X 1TB WD 2.5inch HDDs

Only use cat 6 cables and a good modem, absolutely NO wireless is used. Running Windows 10 with every driver and update.

Please tell me why I am having this lag and how to fix it, its actually embarrassing having my game have a lag spike when my PC should barely have to even go above idle to run.

You should consider deleting your JSON files from My Documents, and display your graphic settings, lower them as well and try again on multiplayer.

Ok I will do that, why cant my GPU handle it, it barely hits 40% load on my GPU but ill drop it down to lowest then. Will let you know how it goes.

Ok I will do that, why cant my GPU handle it, it barely hits 40% load on my GPU but ill drop it down to lowest then. Will let you know how it goes.

I don't think its your hardware that is the problem, it is your settings. You must be on an AMD card, try messing around with the graphic settings for 3D applications and see if any improvements come across. Also, some people have the issue fixed with Trippy/Retro settings. In addition, if you have not unlocked Marathon Achievement, this is also a known culprit.

Back
Top Bottom