• I like them all!

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Meh...

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I hate them all!

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I liked the Clay Armor.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I disliked the Clay Armor and will say why in a comment.

• I liked the early throwing weapons.

• I disliked the early throwing weapons and will say why in a comment.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I liked the Cactus Armor changes.

• I disliked the Cactus Armor changes and will say why in a comment.

• I liked the Gladiator Armor changes.

• I disliked the Gladiator Armor changes and will say why in a comment.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I liked the Starry Wand.

• I disliked the Starry Wand and will say why in a comment.

• I liked the Rock Staff.

• I disliked the Rock Staff and will say why in a comment.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I liked the Earth Armor.

• I disliked the Earth Armor and will say why in a comment.

• I liked the Frozen Armor.

• I disliked the Frozen Armor and will say why in a comment.

• Total voters

aldgjjdbg

Terrarian
As you all know, it is quite easy for non-mana users to get an early-game weapon. (i.e. rangers get wood bow and melee get a wood sword) However, the mana users (mage & summoner) and the sub-classes (throwing and tank) struggle to get gear. Tanks (sub-class of melee that's more high defense than damage) don't need weapons, but high-defense armor would be nice. Mages and summoners need weapons that you can get before the second day easily, and throwing weapons need some craftables. Class-specific armor early-game would also be nice, so I've got some ideas.

Tank
So, the tank armor. It needs to:

- give high defense boost
- draw aggro
- reduce move speed to balance.

Clay isn't being used for much other than building, and it's heavy, thick and is hard when heated, so how about:

Clay Armor
ClayMask.png
Mask: +3 defense, -7% movement speed,
Clay_Block.png
x20 and
Stone_Block.png
x5 @
Furnace_(placed).gif

ClayBreastplate.png
Chestplate: +5 defense, -13% movement speed, +7% melee damage,
Clay_Block.png
x35 and
Stone_Block.png
x10 @
Furnace_(placed).gif

ClayLeggings.png
Boots: +4 defense, -10% movement speed, +4% melee crit chance,
Clay_Block.png
x25 and
Stone_Block.png
x7 @
Furnace_(placed).gif

Set Bonus: Enemies are more likely to target you

Total: +12 defense, -30% movement speed, +7% melee damage, +4% melee crit chance, enemies are more likely to target you,
Clay_Block.png
x80 and
Stone_Block.png
x22 @
Furnace_(placed).gif

This should help melee players a bit, and tanks a lot on a multiplayer server.

Throwing
Another sub-class, this time of ranged, throwing could be considered its own class with its own damage, armor, etc. however, it is still a new and small class and I consider it a sub-class, just like summoner before 1.3. Crafting throwing weapons would be nice, yet too many mods do ore throwing weapons (including mine). Some unique ones that, to my knowledge, have not been done, are:

Living Wood Javelin
Living Wood Javelin.png
(cool sprite by @PrashBricks III )
5 throwing damage, pierces thrice, 33/1
Wood.png
@ Living_Loom_(placed).png

Easy-to-access throwing weapon for fighting hordes of enemies and good for throwing playthroughs, also allows for more living wood content. Deals less damage than cactus shuriken but pierces more.

Cactus Shuriken
173671-86865112c1e5556de8454523059fd613.png
7 throwing damage, pierces once, 33/1
Cactus.png
@
Work_Bench.png

Another easy-to access throwing weapon, deals more damage than living wood javelin but pierces less. Spiky!

Ice Knives
6 throwing damage, pierces twice, 33/2
Ice_Block.png
@
Work_Bench.png

Final throwing weapon, balance between previous two. Req. 2 ice instead of one because it's so common.

Armor Changes
We needn't add new throwing armor, just tweak previous ones. Some tweaks to make:

Cactus Armor
Cactus_Helmet.png
Helmet: +2 defense, 13% chance not to consume throwing items,
Cactus.png
x35 and
Antlion_Mandible.png
x1 @
Iron_Anvil.png

Cactus_Breastplate.png
Breastplate: +3 defense, +12% throwing dmg,
Cactus.png
x50 and
Antlion_Mandible.png
x2 @
Iron_Anvil.png

Cactus_Leggings.png
Leggings: +2 defense, +6% throwing crit chance, +8% movement speed,
Cactus.png
x40 and
Antlion_Mandible.png
x1 @
Iron_Anvil.png

Set Bonus: +20% chance not to consume throwing items, deals 10% of damage taken back

Cactus_armor.png
Total: +7 defense, +12% throwing dmg, +6% throwing crit, +8% move speed, +33% chance not to consume throwing items, deals 10% of damage taken back,
Cactus.png
x125 and
Antlion_Mandible.png
x4 @
Iron_Anvil.png

These changes should add throwing variety and give the pre-HM desert a throwing feel, whilst not making cactus armor OP by tweaking the recipe.

Gladiator Armor
Gladiator armor is a set that has unused potential. Even the official terraria wiki says:

"Due to the immense power of Hoplites, along with the drop chance for each piece of the set, by the time the player obtains this armor set it wouldn't be worth the effort".

This is a shame because it would make great throwing armor! Here's some changes:

Drop chance to 5% (1/20) (from 1.666% (1/60))
Gladiator_Helmet.png
Helmet: +3 defense, +10% throwing crit chance
Gladiator_Breastplate.png
Breastplate: +4 defense, +16% throwing damage
Gladiator_Leggings.png
Leggings: +3 defense, +12% movement speed, +2% throwing crit chance
Set bonus: either a) Throwing attacks ignore 33% of armor OR
b) Throwing a throwing weapon has a 10% chance to also throw a net; does 22 base damage and inflicts "Slowed" for 8 sec

Gladiator_armor.png
Total: +10 defense, +16% throwing damage, +12% throwing crit chance, +12% move speed + set bonus

Ranger Armor

I agree with @Zoomo and @Sir Edeneric; rangers do get screwed over by a lack of pre-skeletron armor. Reliably getting ranger armor to fight skeletron, EoW, EoC, BoC, etc. is impossible because no such armor exists. I propose:

Shark Armor

Shark armor is a shark-based set that focuses on high-damage, high-velocity shots. This is well paired with shark-tooth necklace (because you need all the armor pen you can get!) and a book of ichor if used in HM (0 defense on most HM mobs!)

SharkCap.png
Shark Cap

3 defense, +18% ranged damage and crit chance, -6% ranged speed and spread,
Shark_Fin.png
x5 and
Demonite_Bar.png
x10 @
Iron_Anvil.png

SharkCape.png
Shark Cape

5 defense, +20% ranged damage and crit chance, -10% ranged speed and spread, +5 armor penetration,
Shark_Fin.png
x10 and
Demonite_Bar.png
x20 @
Iron_Anvil.png

SharkPants.png
Shark Pants

3 defense, +10% ranged crit chance, -4% ranged speed and spread, +5 armor penetration,
Shark_Fin.png
x8 and
Demonite_Bar.png
x16 @
Iron_Anvil.png

Set Bonus: Critical hits ignore 33% of armor, enemies are less likely to target you, +20% velocity
Total: +38% ranged damage, +40% ranged crit chance, -20% ranged speed, +10 armor penetration, critical hits ignore 33% of armor, +20% velocity.

Wasp Armor

This is an idea that I have written down in a doc but never actually wrote stats for. I think it will make pre-HM jungle even more substantial and make Queen Bee even more important to beat. Also, this will be the 3rd ranged armor pre-HM (and I want my favorite class to have something other then necro and shark). It's the polar opposite of Shark armor; it's late-pre-HM (instead of early-ish middle), it adds spread and fire rate but doesn't increase ranged damage (versus the shark armor being low-speed high damage shots), and it's in the jungle (instead of the ocean).

WaspMask.png
Wasp Mask

4 defense, +7% ranged speed and spread, +6% ranged crit chance,
Bee_Wax.png
x6 and
Stinger.png
x4 @
Iron_Anvil.png

WaspStingmail.png
Wasp Stingmail

6 defense, +11% ranged speed and ranged spread, getting hit deals 15% of damage taken back,
Bee_Wax.png
x10 and
Stinger.png
x8 @
Iron_Anvil.png

WaspBoots.png
Wasp Pants

5 defense, +8% ranged and movement speed and spread,
Bee_Wax.png
x8 and
Stinger.png
x6 @
Iron_Anvil.png

Set Bonus: Ranged attacks have a 6.666% chance to inflict Venom
Total: +26% ranged speed and spread, +8% movement spread, getting hit deals 15% of damage taken back, Ranged attacks have a 6.666% chance to inflict Venom

To summarize (and exaggerate the effects): Wasp Armor turns a sniper rifle into an AK-47, and Shark Armor turns an AK-47 into a sniper rifle.

More Ranged Weapon Options
Another thing that bothers me about Pre-HM; why are there not every type of ranged weapons? (i.e. flamethrowers and rocket launchers)
Grenade Gun
Grenade Gun.png

20 Ranged Damage, 40 use time (1.5 shots per second, 90 shots per minute), auto-use.
Drops from Skeletron (12.5%) (33% on Expert)
Uses grenades as ammo

Grenades bounce once and are affected by gravity
There is no upward velocity if aiming straight ahead, so you must aim up to hit enemies not close

Gee Mr. Awesomperson, isn't this massively underpowered? I mean, it only has 30 DPS!

No, it has 120. The grenades do 60 additional damage, for a total of 80. Times 1.5 is 120 DPS.

Isn't that OP?

See the abysmal 40 use time. It's great for crowd control and helps in the dungeon to get necro armor (especially if you're wearing shark armor; it does 109 damage per shot with it equiped! Although its shots per minute do get lowered to 72, it doesn't matter when you one-shot weak enemies!)

Frostthrower
Frostthrower.png
13 ranged damage
Same use time and attack type as Flamethrower
Uses Gel as ammo
Each hit has a 10% chance to inflict Frostburn (although Flamethrowers shoot 5 projectiles, believe it or not)
Crafted w/
Demonite_Bar.png
x12 and
Ice_Block.png
x25 @
Iron_Anvil.png

These 2 new weapons will help with the hordes of enemies that the player will face in the Jungle and Dungeon (along with Wall of Flesh's hungry on Expert).

Magic Weapons
Whilst the other two core classes get a wooden weapon, mages do not. To solve this, I present:

Starry Wand
Starry Wand.png

6 magic damage, shoots linear star projectile, 18 use time (3.333 shots per sec, ~200 shots per minute), auto-use. Crafted w/
Wood.png
x6 and
Fallen_Star.png
x1 @
Work_Bench.png

This should work as a balanced magic weapon until you get an ore staff or wand of sparking.
Speaking of wand of sparking, its damage is buffed up to 10.

Mages do not need more armor, they have 3 sets.

Summoner
Summoner always gets screwed over when it comes to gear, not only do they only have bee armor pre-HM, but they also have a lot less weapons than throwing. To solve the latter:

Rock Staff
Rock Staff.png
(summon is Boulder_(placed).png)

Summons a rock spirit w/ deadly sphere minion AI. 4 damage. Crafted with 25 stone and 10 wood @ Living Loom.

Armor
Armor Sets: (one easy to obtain and one mid-pre-HM)

Earth Armor
EarthHelmet.png
Helmet: +1 defense, +12% minion damage,
Stone_Block.png
x15 and
Dirt_Block.png
x15 @ Living_Loom_(placed).png
EarthChestplate.png
Chestplate: +2 defense, +1 max minions,
Stone_Block.png
x25 and
Dirt_Block.png
x25 @ Living_Loom_(placed).png
EarthLeggings.png
Boots: +1 defense, +8% movement speed, +4% minion size,
Stone_Block.png
x20 and
Dirt_Block.png
x20 @ Living_Loom_(placed).png
Set Bonus: Summons an earth spirit similar to chlorophyte set bonus. 9 summon damage.

Total: +4 defense, +1 max minions, +12% minion damage, +8% movement speed, +4% minion size, Earth Spirit,
Stone_Block.png
x60 and
Dirt_Block.png
x60 @
Living_Loom_(placed).png

And, something for the Ice Biome:

Frozen Armor

FrozenHelmet.png
Helmet: +3 defense, +1 max minions, +4% minion range,
Demonite_Bar.png
x10 and
Ice_Block.png
x20 @
Iron_Anvil.png

FrozenBreastplate.png
Breastplate: +5 defense, +1 max minions, +13% minion damage,
Demonite_Bar.png
x20 and
Ice_Block.png
x40 @
Iron_Anvil.png

FrozenLeggings.png
Leggings: +3 defense, +8% movement speed, +4% minion range,
Demonite_Bar.png
x16 and
Ice_Block.png
x32 @
Iron_Anvil.png

Set bonus: Summoning weapons have a 33% chance to inflict the chilled debuff, +1 max minions

Total: +11 defense, +3 minion count, +13% minion damage, +8% minion range, +8% movement speed, summoning weapons have a 33% chance to inflict chilled,
Demonite_Bar.png
x46 and
Ice_Block.png
x92 @
Iron_Anvil.png

I hope you enjoyed my suggestions! Credit to @PrashBricks III for making every idea sprite on this page except my Starry Wand: they look great!
(Please comment the gladiator set bonus you preferred and why!)
Votes: 1 in favor of 2nd set bonus (vote(s) from @PrashBricks III).
Reasons submitted for 2nd bonus:
The 2nd is more creative.

Old amount of each armor:

Melee: 3
Ranged: 1
Magic: 3
Summoner: 1
Throwing: 2
(unbalanced much?)

New amounts:

Melee: 4
Ranged: 3
Magic: 3
Summoner: 3
Throwing: 4

Last edited:
Why does throwing get 4 sets of armour whilst ranged gets only ONE. Each class should get 2 pre-HM sets of armour. Melee gets Shadow/Crimson & Molten. Ranged gets Nerco (Needs one more set), Magic gets Meteorite and Jungle, Summoners get Bee (Needs one more set) & Throwing gets Ninja and Fossil. Also, the Devs have gone on record saying throwing won't be a thing.

EDIT I: I actually think it would be better if there were 3 sets of armour per class to make Pre-HM more substantial.

EDIT II: Also good job on the magic and summoning weapons.

--- EDIT 1 ---
Added vanilla sprites, crafting recipe for Frozen Armor and made earth armor use stone (instead of Wood.)
[doublepost=1495487893,1495487406][/doublepost]
Why does throwing get 4 sets of armour whilst ranged gets only ONE. Each class should get 2 pre-HM sets of armour. Melee gets Shadow/Crimson & Molten. Ranged gets Nerco (Needs one more set), Magic gets Meteorite and Jungle, Summoners get Bee (Needs one more set) & Throwing gets Ninja and Fossil. Also, the Devs have gone on record saying throwing won't be a thing.

EDIT I: I actually think it would be better if there were 3 sets of armour per class to make Pre-HM more substantial.
I didn't make ranged armor because it has a plethora of weapons. Might make one or two, but IK it would most likely be inferior to the masterpiece made by @Zoomo. Gladiator armor should be throwing because of it dropping from Hoplites, tough enemies that have an extremely small chance of dropping it. I thought that tweaking cactus armor would be a nice idea because a) antlion mandibles need uses other than sand gun & mining potion and b) it fits with the theme of the pre-HM desert being throwing. (fossil armor, antlions throwing sand, etc.) and also fits with cactus shurikens. I also said that throwing is a sub-class and not a full class.

Also good job on the magic and summoning weapons.
Thanks! :D

Still, having a subclass get more armour sets than a normal class is pretty stupid.
KK, appreciate the feedback, making a set or 2 of ranger armor and I really doubt that anyone will implement the cactus armor changes. Having a variety of pre-HM armor is also good for throwing as a class because of its massive amount of weapons pre-HM and no armors in HM. It is completely restricted to pre-hardmode.

Personally, I would drop the starry wand to 1 damage, remove auto-fire, make out always fire in a straight line the direction the player is facing, but be free of cost. Then, by holding down, you can charge up a stronger, larger blast, that deals more damage and passes through more enemies the longer you charge, and that costs mana the longer your charge. It could work for free aiming when charging though.

That way if the player doesn't find enough of any gem they should be able to rely on it for quite a while, without really making it over powered, as it's strongest attack (and it could be *very* strong) would still have to be charged and requires 100 mana to use.

I would also make out crafted with a Mana Crystal, so you can make this and sell it for more than the mana crystal is worth. (Because I always accidentally crazy them somehow, and have no use one I've maxed out mana)

For the gladiator armor, I would go for a original set bonus (set Bonus B)..
[doublepost=1497282209,1497281720][/doublepost]I think I might make some sprites for you, would you like that?

Hey There!,

I've made a sprite for you (yeah, sorry, I didn't had much time...)

Cactus Shuriken:

You can also find it in the attachment...

Attachments

• Cactus Shuriken.png
    Cactus Shuriken.png
    211 bytes · Views: 182
Back
Top Bottom