tModLoader Tacklebox: Modest Fishing Content

What is the purpose of the slippery reel?
when you fish regularly in terraria, you at some point start using sonar pots and weighing your options before reeling in to save space, time, and bait. the slippery lure would effectively increase the rate at which you hook different fish, giving you more options in less time and thereby getting the most out of your potions or the current fishing conditions or what have you

I knew someone might think that

ucj0agw.png
Okay here's 1.2.0!
  • Optimized code significantly
    • Abstract classes RodComponent, ModCrate, Bobber, etc. to reduce overhead
    • Also deprecated some items[1] with tweaked accessories, sorry! I thought I should do it sooner than later
  • Also converted all images to PNG-8, reducing file size by about 90% and I'm not even kidding
  • Fixed the custom pole line issue thanks to some reference code from DivermanSam
  • Fixed Lady Luck (updates when held now since it was calculating too early)
  • Fixed Guppy gimmick[2]
  • Made multiple lines look prettier
  • Added Twin Cattail Pole line formula with multi-line accessories: bonus = 1 + log2(lineCount)
    • 1 -> 2; 2 -> 4; 4 -> 7; 8 -> 12 (max)
  • Revamped accessories with 3 categories:
    • Reels, which improve crate fishing
    • Lines, which help you fish more productively
    • Hooks, to which fish have a fatal attraction
  • Added new hooks, lines, and reels
    • Coin Hook - Catch money with fish![2]
    • Titanium Hook - An upgrade from Gold / Platinum
    • Adamantite Hook - Same as above
    • Titanium Reel - An upgrade from Gold / Platinum
    • Adamantite Reel - Same as above
    • Advanced Rod Kit - An upgrade from Fishing Rod Kit
    • Kevlon Spool - Cast four lines (replacing Fouron)
    • Dragnet - Cast eight lines at once! Ridiculous!
  • Added Jigs[3], suggested by Red Slime, which are a subclass of Hooks
    • Jungle Jig - Crafted from Jungle Key + one of each jungle fish, allows catching unique fish in jungle
    • Frozen Jig - Crafted from Frozen Key + one of each tundra fish, allows catching unique fish in tundra
    • Ocean Jig - Crafted from Hallowed Key + one of each ocean fish, allows catching unique fish in ocean
    • Infernal Jig - Crafted from Corruption or Crimson Key + one of each underworld fish, allows catching unique fish in underworld and corruption
  • Made Flyfish, Sporetooth Mushark, and Hive Puffer all work as intended!
    • Might revisit them later, for now they just work but could be better
  • Finished implementing the Ancient Ray, a non-Expert lunar event alternative to the Cute Fishron which gains a flight speed bonus while in space
  • Anglerfish is now just a portable light and not a material
  • Added Angling, a tiny anglerfish caught in dungeon now used in Ultrabright Potion instead
  • Added common fish variants to some biomes caught in place of bass
    • Sardine - Jungle
    • Flounder - Desert
    • Coelacanth - Dungeon
  • Added Red Herring, a regular fish caught in lava
  • Added Crocodile Tooth, caught in Jungle with a Jungle Jig, will be a crocodile mount when fully implemented (currently clones basilisk)
  • Added Fulgur Shark, the hardmode equivalent of Reaver Shark, crafted from three primordial fish caught in the ocean, jungle, and tundra; how exciting!
  • Fish (vanilla item) can now be caught in underground tundra with a Frozen Jig
  • Seaweed (vanilla item) can now be caught in underground jungle with a Jungle Jig
  • Unlock new fishing supplies sold by Angler starting at 10 completed quests! I made the shop, but apparently adding the menu to angler is impossibe in tModLoader...
[1] the deprecated items are Biline Reel and Fouron Reel (replaced with Biline Spool and Kevlon Spool) - I know I could've just changed the display names, but I'm extremely OCD and it would've bugged me to no end having misleading class names since these aren't actually reels. please forgive me

[2] these items are properly implemented in Tacklebox, but require a tModLoader update to fix GlobalItem.CaughtFishStack before working

[3] currently very little jig content; you can see which fish require / benefit from jigs now in op, the main attraction is primordial fish to craft the Fulgur Shark

Please let me know if you find any bugs! Although I fixed a lot of old stuff, I also added a lot of new breakable stuff

ucj0agw.png
Okay here's 1.2.0!
  • Optimized code significantly
    • Abstract classes RodComponent, ModCrate, Bobber, etc. to reduce overhead
    • Also deprecated some items[1] with tweaked accessories, sorry! I thought I should do it sooner than later
  • Also converted all images to PNG-8, reducing file size by about 90% and I'm not even kidding
  • Fixed the custom pole line issue thanks to some reference code from DivermanSam
  • Fixed Lady Luck (updates when held now since it was calculating too early)
  • Fixed Guppy gimmick[2]
  • Made multiple lines look prettier
  • Added Twin Cattail Pole line formula with multi-line accessories: bonus = 1 + log2(lineCount)
    • 1 -> 2; 2 -> 4; 4 -> 7; 8 -> 12 (max)
  • Revamped accessories with 3 categories:
    • Reels, which improve crate fishing
    • Lines, which help you fish more productively
    • Hooks, to which fish have a fatal attraction
  • Added new hooks, lines, and reels
    • Coin Hook - Catch money with fish![2]
    • Titanium Hook - An upgrade from Gold / Platinum
    • Adamantite Hook - Same as above
    • Titanium Reel - An upgrade from Gold / Platinum
    • Adamantite Reel - Same as above
    • Advanced Rod Kit - An upgrade from Fishing Rod Kit
    • Kevlon Spool - Cast four lines (replacing Fouron)
    • Dragnet - Cast eight lines at once! Ridiculous!
  • Added Jigs[3], suggested by Red Slime, which are a subclass of Hooks
    • Jungle Jig - Crafted from Jungle Key + one of each jungle fish, allows catching unique fish in jungle
    • Frozen Jig - Crafted from Frozen Key + one of each tundra fish, allows catching unique fish in tundra
    • Ocean Jig - Crafted from Hallowed Key + one of each ocean fish, allows catching unique fish in ocean
    • Infernal Jig - Crafted from Corruption or Crimson Key + one of each underworld fish, allows catching unique fish in underworld and corruption
  • Made Flyfish, Sporetooth Mushark, and Hive Puffer all work as intended!
    • Might revisit them later, for now they just work but could be better
  • Finished implementing the Ancient Ray, a non-Expert lunar event alternative to the Cute Fishron which gains a flight speed bonus while in space
  • Anglerfish is now just a portable light and not a material
  • Added Angling, a tiny anglerfish caught in dungeon now used in Ultrabright Potion instead
  • Added common fish variants to some biomes caught in place of bass
    • Sardine - Jungle
    • Flounder - Desert
    • Coelacanth - Dungeon
  • Added Red Herring, a regular fish caught in lava
  • Added Crocodile Tooth, caught in Jungle with a Jungle Jig, will be a crocodile mount when fully implemented (currently clones basilisk)
  • Added Fulgur Shark, the hardmode equivalent of Reaver Shark, crafted from three primordial fish caught in the ocean, jungle, and tundra; how exciting!
  • Fish (vanilla item) can now be caught in underground tundra with a Frozen Jig
  • Seaweed (vanilla item) can now be caught in underground jungle with a Jungle Jig
  • Unlock new fishing supplies sold by Angler starting at 10 completed quests! I made the shop, but apparently adding the menu to angler is impossibe in tModLoader...
[1] the deprecated items are Biline Reel and Fouron Reel (replaced with Biline Spool and Kevlon Spool) - I know I could've just changed the display names, but I'm extremely OCD and it would've bugged me to no end having misleading class names since these aren't actually reels. please forgive me

[2] these items are properly implemented in Tacklebox, but require a tModLoader update to fix GlobalItem.CaughtFishStack before working

[3] currently very little jig content; you can see which fish require / benefit from jigs now in op, the main attraction is primordial fish to craft the Fulgur Shark

Please let me know if you find any bugs! Although I fixed a lot of old stuff, I also added a lot of new breakable stuff

Neat...

I'm writing a new algorithm for catching fish for the next update loosely based on vanilla rates using the following function

Code:
public bool RarityCheck(int power, int i) {
	return Main.rand.Next(Math.Max(i + 1, 150 * ((1 << i) - 1) / power)) == 0;
	}

this roughly equates to 1 / (150 * (2 ^ rarity - 1) / power) chance of catching a fish, by comparison to vanilla rates:
  1. common = 150 (150)
  2. uncommon = 450 (300)
  3. rare = 1050 (1050)
  4. veryrare = 2250 (2250)
  5. superrare = 4650 (4500)
  6. ??? = 9450
  7. ??? = 19050
  8. legendary = 38250

since the vanilla rates don't seem to follow any predictable pattern this formula roughly and pretty accurately approximates one and additionally allows me to use rarities beyond vanilla's highest "extremely rare" for catches such as Legendary Pupfish (in a "legendary" category) and biome keys (in a "don't bank on it" category)

however, there is one problem: common mod fish (such as Guppy) replacing rare vanilla fish (such as Prismite). due to the nature of mod catches being determined after vanilla catches, "common" is pretty dangerous and could probably be regarded as "very common"

currently I have a few exceptions to RarityCheck for Guppy (uses power > rand(80, 420), this being less common with higher fishing power), Flyfish, Gamifish, Red Herring, and Sweetglub (each using a fixed rate instead), but it's not optimal. so, if any smartypants here like writing formulae and want a challenge, how can we calculate rarity factoring in that common should actually be rarer for mod fish to account for vanilla catches? I'd prefer to use the same RarityCheck method for all fish than determine some arbitrary break-point but I'm not sure how

---

in other news, it might be possible to implement those lure concepts in op. not sure, but Flashkirby99 gave me some reference code to look at so I'll try that out too

(Is there a Wiki for this? If not, I might be checking in for some help every so often)
Where do you find the Kevlon Spool...?

I don't think it really warrants a wiki, it's pretty modest as the subtitle suggests

Kevlon String (used to make Kevlon Spool) is a 100% Duke Fishron drop; likewise, Odd String (used to make Dragnet) is a 100% Moon Lord drop
however, Kevlon Spool requires 2 Kevlon String and Dragnet requires 4 Odd String, so despite being a 100% drop it still takes more than one battle to get each

I might also add a recipe for the high test line since it's such a fundamental component of spools currently

aside from those materials everything else should be listed in the first post

I don't think it really warrants a wiki, it's pretty modest as the subtitle suggests

Kevlon String (used to make Kevlon Spool) is a 100% Duke Fishron drop; likewise, Odd String (used to make Dragnet) is a 100% Moon Lord drop
however, Kevlon Spool requires 2 Kevlon String and Dragnet requires 4 Odd String, so despite being a 100% drop it still takes more than one battle to get each

I might also add a recipe for the high test line since it's such a fundamental component of spools currently

aside from those materials everything else should be listed in the first post

Then why make an material tab so people could figure out where to find the parts?

oh, I forgot to call base setdefaults when I converted crates to an abstract class

I'll fix that in the next update

edit: actually, it's just gemcrate, all the others are fine

Hey what exactly can i get from a frozen crate? Maybe think about adding a desert crate that can have a sandstorm in a bottle and other desert accessorizes in it.

the "Bollywog fish" caught on artificial meteor biome dosent consume on use, and if the fish is going to act like the mana potions why dont make them stackable?

I'm playing with two friends on my own server. And I have definitely finished 10 angler quests but there is still no shop to be seen?

EDIT: The sporetooth mushark is also broken in the sense that it's floating everywhere and nowhere.

EDIT 2: I also can not find the Fulgar Shark anywhere in the recipe browser

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom