NPCs & Enemies Lumberjack NPC idea

The_Arms_Dealer

Terrarian
Notes: I'm really bad at sprite art and this idea is just a base for what could become a really cool idea so feel free to add onto it
Also sorry for bad image quality in both resolution and design

I know there is at least one mod that does this already but I wanted to make a lumberjack NPC suggestion. Essentially he would sell you different woods and axes throughout the game based on
how much progress you have so far. Here's what he sells that's already in the game

Idea of what he would look like (Not permanent)
Lumberjack.png

Favorite biome - forest
Likes - Steampunker (doesn't come across in sprite but they would be siblings our cousins)
Dislikes - Truffle

Examples of lines
"Out of all things that could come alive why a mushroom. I would have preferred a tree."
"Wood you like to buy something... what you don't like puns.
"Get that ham-axe out of here, if its not just an axe its not an axe."

Would use a iron axe in pre-hardmode as a weapon
Would use a cobalt waraxe in hardmode as a weapon

Always:

Wood
Boreal Wood
Rich Mahogany
Shade wood / Ebon wood (Depends on world)
Palm wood

During blood moon:

Shade wood / Ebon wood (Depends on world)

After hardmode:

Pearl wood

After pumpkin moon

Spooky wood

Now onto the stuff that's not in the game

First is the Cosmic axe which is unlocked after moon lord is beaten at least once

Description " It gleams with a celestial light"
The axe is above par compared to the celestial ham-axes and is the best axe in the game
Cosmic Axe.png

After that is another axe only unlocked after moon lord which is much more for a joke at old terraria called the original axe

Description "Its broken and has some dents but it should still work"
This axe has the power of a copper axe and can also mine would as a joke to original terraria (Its sprite is a broken down version of the original axe [I think])
Original Axe.png

Finally for new items is a new type of wood called moon wood that can be bough after moon lord. Its twice as good as pearl wood items and although its not included the
sprite for placing it down would look something along the lines of Martian conduit + boreal wood + pearl wood wall. This wood doesn't have a tree and is only bought
(sprites of armor and actual wood for reference)
Moon Wood.png

Well that's it. I took a bit of a brake from the forum posting to make a good fleshed out NPC. Its not perfect but I like it and I hope you guys liked it.

Last edited:
As you said too, there's already at least one mod with a lumberjack NPC. And, in fact, he looks very similar to your sprite in design (I guess that is, because that's the stereotype "how a lumberjack looks like"? XD

While there is definitelly need of such an NPC, there is already a mod like this, so I dunno if this is necessary (if not for vanilla, but I kind of doubt they would add new vanilla NPCs at this point. sad thing too, because buying wood would be a huge QoL improvement.)

as for the rest of the stuff he sells... I don't think there's any need of selling axes, they can be crafted easily, and I don't really see the point of a post-moon lord axe, I don't think anyone actually crafts even lunar tier axes, or practically any axe late game, when the pickaxe axe, and the picksaw as well, can chop wood anyway...

not sure what about the original axe, but that might be just because it was already 1.3.something when I started playting the game.

the moonwood sounds interesting, but the way it is now, sounds like wasted potencial. it do could have a tree too, the player can plant, because they could look nice,
and, few would care for standard armor or weapons made from wood at that point, even if it would be the strongest wood - it's just like how nearly no one will use pearlwood eqipments - what actually would matter about it, what it looks like placed, and what furniture set it has!

I see what you mean with him selling axes and ill make sure to do something about that. As for the moon wood's appearance I just didn't have a good sprite for that yet and wanted to get this posted. I'm currently working on it now with some general furniture as well. Along with that i debated on putting the tree but ill be sure to add that in too. (also your right with the pearl wood being useless.) Final thing to address is there being other similar NPCs in mods. I new about that partially and wasn't sure what to add to make this more unique (That's where the axes and moonwood came in.) I definitely want to tinker with this idea to fix that though. Eventually i do want to learn to mod so if that ever happens i want to add some of my best ideas in so feedback to make them better will always be appreciated.

Considering there is already a mod very similar, I'm not sure if there is need for another mod doing the same thing.
However I'm curious how would those furniture sets look like!

I think it might could just go a different direction, being about new wood types or I dunno. I definitelly think more "vanity" trees or a few new furniture sets could be interesting.

Now we can see special trees even in the caves. why not just go further, and have all sorts of tree variants for the different biomes, that doesn't have one yet? Actually, I think that could be quite awesome XD

That's a really good idea and along with that taking things like the gemcorn trees and giving them a wood may also work (although I'm not sure about that) Still though giving the desert a unique tree from the beach and the underworld some type of fire tree (ect, ect) are all good things. I think I'm gonna rework this NPC and add more trees with this NPC being a vendor of sorts of rare woods that could only be found in some biomes. Thanks for the help with this idea.

Editing the original post (If your referring to double post as me posting one thing than posting a second time with modifications) (let me know if that's not what you mean I'm still kind of getting used to the forums)

@The_Arms_Dealer
No, you got it right, that's exactly what I meant.
I dunno about gemcorns giving any type of wood, they are giving stone, and, this way, they're actually a good, renewable source of stone, so I think let's leave that as is.

The desert already have palm trees (plus cacti), so there's not that much of a need of more trees there.

there are plenty of biomes that could have their own unique tree variant though. questionable if they could be planted either surface or caverns. maybe both would be nice.
  • something to make clay renewable might would be good too.
  • different sort of gem-tree like thing, that can be planted on ebonstone/crimstone. (standard gem trees are unaffected, it's a different variant) (maybe also a type for pearlstone)
  • some sort of icy tree, that can be planted on the ice in the ice caves.
  • some sort of fiery tree (like you said too) that can be planted in ash (underworld).
  • threes for marble and granite biomes (if possible, they should grow even when in front of background walls, as these biomes always have that.)
and probably several others, like maybe more vanity trees too, etc.

if anyone would know how to code such, there also could be upside down tree-like things that grow from the underside of dirt blocks or something in some places, and are basically roots.

I suppose this is quite far from the initial idea of the lumberjack NPC though.
It's also questionable if this needs an NPC, or all of these could be crafted from acorns with other stuff (similar to gemcorns)

I see what you mean by not needing an NPC but i would still like to keep it to that idea mainly just because of some other ideas that I had and how this one would fit into them (I probably wont make posts about the other ideas)

I see what you mean by not needing an NPC but i would still like to keep it to that idea mainly just because of some other ideas that I had and how this one would fit into them (I probably wont make posts about the other ideas)
Sorry, but explain that a bit more. What are the other ideas...?

Essentially similar NPCs expect like a miner and a blacksmith that would do something similar but with metals and stones ect. Like I said I want to learn to make mods so they would all be some of the NPCs in the mod. I don't want to post the others since that would be like making a post saying "sun axe" than a whole separate post saying "sun pickaxe" but with NPCs

Essentially similar NPCs expect like a miner and a blacksmith that would do something similar but with metals and stones ect. Like I said I want to learn to make mods so they would all be some of the NPCs in the mod. I don't want to post the others since that would be like making a post saying "sun axe" than a whole separate post saying "sun pickaxe" but with NPCs
It might be just that my view on this is more like "if this is already in some other mods, then why do the same?"
for example.
Thorium has a blacksmith, who sells pre-hardmode metals (ores) in hardmode.
(in my mod, the Scam artist also sells early hardmode ores, after one mech boss is down, I think. plus they're expensive)
Alchemist NPCs also has the architect, who sells pretty much all block types that are in the vanilla game (so that includes stone, etc. as well)

Not saying you couldn't make similar things, just because someone else already made one, but I think it's much more useful, if you can make something new - and so, it might can complement other mods and can be part of a mod pack, without it would end up featuring 2 NPCs who do the exact same thing.

(if you are interested in making town NPCs though, and expecially if you know coding and stuff, you could try helping out with my mod XD lol since it's mostly focused on town NPCs.
though I'm assuming you're not a coder either...

First thing I'm not a coder (yet). Second thing is that I understand that there are other mods that have similar NPCs that sell metals and stones and woods but than again they all have some different aspects again. With the blacksmith and your scam artist the aspect of selling ores is the same but there are things that make them original. (yours selling accessories and other hard to get things (I think I haven't used your mod that much) blacksmith sells steel items.) That's kind of what I want to do with my NPCs with the unique aspect being that they sell some special items (special woods moss ect) that could be more rare than regular trees, stones, metals (you get the idea) I agree that the idea is similar to other peoples creations but I plan to branch it off with the idea of selling rare materials rather than what's just in the game.

First thing I'm not a coder (yet). Second thing is that I understand that there are other mods that have similar NPCs that sell metals and stones and woods but than again they all have some different aspects again. With the blacksmith and your scam artist the aspect of selling ores is the same but there are things that make them original. (yours selling accessories and other hard to get things (I think I haven't used your mod that much) blacksmith sells steel items.) That's kind of what I want to do with my NPCs with the unique aspect being that they sell some special items (special woods moss ect) that could be more rare than regular trees, stones, metals (you get the idea) I agree that the idea is similar to other peoples creations but I plan to branch it off with the idea of selling rare materials rather than what's just in the game.
I get that, but then why not focus on just said rare material...?
But I think lots of things could be easier if simply craftable.

I'm still kinda surprised about the vanilla princess NPC too, who only sells vanity and deco. all of which could been simply given to other NPCs who sell similar stuff (clothier, painter, dryad...) so she feels quite useless. she is cute, sure, but feels like she could have some more unique things, like quests or something. what she sells now are all things that I personally would not made a new NPC for, but give them to other, already existing NPCs' shop. She might be interesting code-wise though, being happy with all neighbors and all.

Back
Top Bottom