Weapons & Equip Craftable Spears in pre-Hardmode

WAR-THERAPY

Skeletron Prime
Spears! spears...

exactly why am i suggesting this?
because spears are one of the most interesting weapons in the game.

1 - you need to AIM THEM. this makes playing as melee no longer feel like a mindless bore against hordes. it is more challenging.
2 - it is a harder weapon to use. thats not a bad thing on its own, but the ones you get in pre-hardmode are very limitative, and when you get your hands on the many different hardmode ones, it seems kind of too difficult to adjust to spears.
3 - in tactical terms, they have many usefull functions. they have greater crowd control potential than normal swords; and they pierce infinitely; plus, with extra range.

with this in mind, i honestly fail to see a reason that justifies that ALL pre-hardmode spears are looted, not crafted. i for instance am currently playing a bold, 100% legit, HARDCORE character. im in a small world. i managed to farm sharks a bit and got a diving helmet. searched all underwater chests, nothing. i DID find a spear, but its so outclassed by now it makes me go eeeewgh just by using it. and dark lance? HAH!

wouldnt it be SO MUCH EASIER if i could simply pull out some wood, some metal bars, and just craft one? i mean, the Terraria guy can build houses, do alchemy, is also a wizard, can hold 9001 tons in his pocket, kills massive eyes and flying zombie brains, paints, sews tissue into cute banners and clothes, makes his own furniture, cooks his own food, crafts RAIL SYSTEMS and REPEATERS... and cant attach a stone on a long stick? i mean, there isnt much difference, except for the size, between crafting a stone-tipped spear and a simple, plain, wooden arrow.

my opinion? 8 wood + 10 metal bars for each spear. TADAAA. thats it.

just my teo cents...

Yes please. I was actually considering making a thread about this a while ago but never got around to it.

They should all probably be called "[Metal] Spear" for the traditional ores. Maybe hellstone could be called something cool like the "Solar Stabber." It'd be slightly weaker than the Dark Lance, but it'd inflict on-fire.

I've been saying craftable pre-hardmode polearms need to be a thing since, dunno, 1.0.6?

The pre-hardmode part of you sentence was redundant. Why? Because you said since 1.0.6. And I don't think you knew about hardmode...

But otherwise, I love this suggestion.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY I made sprites (that aren't good):

Copper Spear.png
- Copper Spear
Tin Spear.png
- Tin Spear
Iron Spear.png
- Iron Spear
Lead Spear.png
- Lead Spear
Silver Spear.png
- Silver Spear
Tungsten Spear.png
- Tungsten Spear
Gold Spear.png
- Gold Spear
Platinum Spear.png
- Platinum Spear

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY I made sprites (that aren't good):

View attachment 17330 - Copper Spear
View attachment 17331 - Tin Spear
View attachment 17332 - Iron Spear
View attachment 17333 - Lead Spear
View attachment 17334 - Silver Spear
View attachment 17335 - Tungsten Spear
View attachment 17336 - Gold Spear
View attachment 17337 - Platinum Spear
That sprites are very good and well made!. Good job!
But the tungsten and silver spear looks more like a shovel...

*snif i was gonna start spriting them...

now THAT was fast, i didnt expect this thread to fly off like this. those are some pretty sweet sprites too! far better than the jumbled mess i'm doing. Shift-Del. Ah, much better.

any ideas for stats? i'd imagine that the Gold / platinum tier is juuuuust below the Rotted Fork. or else, it has same damage at the cost of less range and speed.
i would suppose copper / tin tier has similar / lower damage than Spear, with juuust a tiny ipsy bit more range. (to make it a more "defensive" variant) and the silver /Tungsten above the Trident. Iron and Lead could in turn have similar stats to Trident.

and with this, i think we would have plenty of pre-hardmode options for polearms; and also, there is still a clear upgrade line from one to the next. the ultimate pre-HM spear still is the dark lance, and thats that.
any objections?

Back
Top Bottom