Pixel Art Beginner Spriting Guide

I made a scythe template with a program called 'Image Editor', but it is buggy and I can't figure out how to edit colors so I'm kind of stuck. I can't figure out how to resize it so it's extremely small for now.
Scythe Template.png

FirstSprite.png
So how is this for a first sprite? I know the problems I did like Its facing the wrong way, I think it needs to be like more pixels (idk how to explain) so I can get more detail. Im never gonna use this one. But back to the point, how would you rate it for a first sprite that was a test?

Attachments

• FirstSprite.png
    FirstSprite.png
    53 KB · Views: 201
View attachment 73657 So how is this for a first sprite? I know the problems I did like Its facing the wrong way, I think it needs to be like more pixels (idk how to explain) so I can get more detail. Im never gonna use this one. But back to the point, how would you rate it for a first sprite that was a test?
For the outline don't use plain black, it over powers all the other colors. Use a darker shade of one of your other colors. Also, you have your lightest shade in the middle and at the bottom. You have to have a clear light source, otherwise it just won't look right. Try using the top left by default. The lightest colors would be in the top left, and the darkest in the bottom right. Finally, when your making gun sprites, unless you want it to be based off of a real gun, have fun with it and make it really creative. :D Overall, I think it's pretty good for a first sprite :).

For the outline don't use plain black, it over powers all the other colors. Use a darker shade of one of your other colors. Also, you have your lightest shade in the middle and at the bottom. You have to have a clear light source, otherwise it just won't look right. Try using the top left by default. The lightest colors would be in the top left, and the darkest in the bottom right. Finally, when your making gun sprites, unless you want it to be based off of a real gun, have fun with it and make it really creative. :D Overall, I think it's pretty good for a first sprite :).
Thanks! Im never gonna use that sprite, it was just a test but I thought it would be a pain to make sprites but it's actually really fun. Thanks for the tips I will keep coming back to your comment for help.

Hey, I really liked the tips! They would really help out a beginner, and even some slightly experienced spriters(like me!) I would like you to review my sprites and I would REALLY like feedback. I'll post from oldest to newest:
Blood'sLust.png
(Not meant as an item)
Meteorite Wood Sword.png
Meteorite Wood Hammer.png
Meteorite Wood Bow.png
MW Armor Player Model.png
Solar Cultist.png
Solar Orbit.png

Hey, I really liked the tips! They would really help out a beginner, and even some slightly experienced spriters(like me!) I would like you to review my sprites and I would REALLY like feedback. I'll post from oldest to newest:
index.php
(Not meant as an item)
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

Nice sprites except the armor...

It need some changes but what do I know about armor sprites.Not much...

Hey, I really liked the tips! They would really help out a beginner, and even some slightly experienced spriters(like me!) I would like you to review my sprites and I would REALLY like feedback. I'll post from oldest to newest:View attachment 79007(Not meant as an item)View attachment 79008View attachment 79009View attachment 79010View attachment 79011View attachment 79012View attachment 79013
The brown armor and weapons have way too much noise. Try lowering the amount of "pixel chaos" - use more flat shading.

Are my sprites good?(Just for fun!)

1st
79086-af38b4b7967d660670656ea51c989ee6.jpg
2nd
79085-e142d655dec4d509e48cc0d92ae7c126.jpg
3rd
79084-059c30dba5dc206cad16d6328aac53fe.jpg
4th
79083-9da18762c004adcf40629cacd3686770.jpg
5th
79082-af33e33574c167226cf6aa0dbcedca25.jpg
6th
79080-5bb7e94bcb7c28ec816ccd183d806ba9.jpg

Attachments

• Nega cultist.gif
    Nega cultist.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Fluxium Magnum.png
    Fluxium Magnum.png
    587 bytes · Views: 166
  • Vortexian Celebrator.png
    Vortexian Celebrator.png
    592 bytes · Views: 143
  • Palette Striker.png
    Palette Striker.png
    616 bytes · Views: 159
  • Shadow blade.png
    Shadow blade.png
    595 bytes · Views: 148
  • Vampire Blade.png
    Vampire Blade.png
    916 bytes · Views: 157
Bloody machete.png
This is my first sprite. It's a bloody machete. I not sure if I've done the resizing correctly. If its something else let me know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom