Game Mechanics Lights, Liquids and That Stuff - Photontizer and Liquid Dyer

Is it a Good Idea?

• Total voters
The effort you have put into this is mind-blowing. Your presentation could not be any better. You've also made a very unique idea, which I support 100%
JaPGzz4.png

[DOUBLEPOST=1439976804,1439976733][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, in 1.3.1 the dev's are talking about more wiring additions, this would be a nice addition.

We must have this in the game. We NEED this in the game, man, and you're a genius. Why this doesn't have the success it deserve? why isn't everyone throwing at you platinum coins? really this is a game changer. With this we could create lots of player-made biomes. Total support now and forever

Last edited:
Reactions: JK0
Wonderful idea, even with pictures! There's never shortage of decorations & similar stuff!
Decorations make the thread fun to read. That's why I opted to make a more "interactive" suggestion. (if this is the word to describe it better)
We must have this in the game. We NEED this in the game, man, and you're a genius. Why this doesn't have the success it deserve? why isn't everyone throwing at you platinum coins? really this is a game changer. Whit this we could create lots of player-made biomes. Total support now and forever
I would love building many biomes the way I like. Trolling people with invisible lava. HAHAHA
We just need now a way to make music, and a type of creature spawner (different from the statues that need to be triggered) to make a complete new biome from the things already in the game.

Reactions: OFF
Nice presentation.

I am not trying to over simplify what you are trying to say here. But basically you want to be able to place torch light without a torch graphic. Which would give any object the ability to glow or emit light. This light/glow would override any natural emitted light.

If i place a blue torch the torch will remain blue but emit a different color light.

If this is the case : Would we be able to modify the intensity of the light? What would the area effected be? could area effected be adjusted?

I love the idea of the ability to add light sources.

As for the negative space and inverted space. I think these mechanics may be in the same category. But I don't think they should be manipulated the same way or with the same device.

I noticed that in one of your slides the photontizer looks like it changed the actual color of the biome and not just the emitted light. Does the photontizer change the color of "glow" its self or the light emitted by the "glow" ?

I am not trying to over simplify what you are trying to say here. But basically you want to be able to place torch light without a torch graphic. Which would give any object the ability to glow or emit light. This light/glow would override any natural emitted light.

If i place a blue torch the torch will remain blue but emit a different color light.
Yeah, that's right... I started just with the idea to change the color of the lights (it was called colorizer before), but then I got the great idea of making everything glow (since some blocks, like the gemspark and the mushroom biome grass, glow too).

If this is the case : Would we be able to modify the intensity of the light? What would the area effected be? could area effected be adjusted?
I think this is not necessary, because placing two or more photontizers one by the side of the other will make it already very intense, and I have no idea on how to change intensity yet...

As for the negative space and inverted space. I think these mechanics may be in the same category. But I don't think they should be manipulated the same way or with the same device.
Yes, I think so too, but in what category is the question. But I liked the way it went well with the photontizer.

I noticed that in one of your slides the photontizer looks like it changed the actual color of the biome and not just the emitted light. Does the photontizer change the color of "glow" its self or the light emitted by the "glow" ?
Actually, the color of the light changes every other color in the game. And well, the photontizer can't change the color of the blocks like the paints do, so painting a block is still necessary if you want to make a pink grass glow pink, for example. Answering your question, the photontizer replaces the light with a new one if there is a color in it.

This must be the most originally delivered suggestion of all time. Full support.

But what about the lag?

Do I smell one of the most well-presented suggestions I've ever seen? Yep. I do.

Not only is this idea the kind of idea I love (making invisible or nontraditional lightsources is fun :3), there are very few suggestions I've seen that have smashed me in the face with presentation at fantastic as this.

I mean, it didn't actually smash me in the face. I was being figurative.

*cough*

Anyway, this would be very well suited for the wiring update, I feel, and it's just a really neat idea. Thumbs up from me.

This must be the most originally delivered suggestion of all time. Full support.

But what about the lag?
Well, I didn't think of the lag itself, maybe it will work like rainbow torches and the disco ball, it will only lag if there is too much in the same area. Or not.

I wish we had this for armor as well, so that blue solar flare armour would light... Well blue.
Hmm... I don't know how would we do that, maybe an exclusive item crafted with Photontizers and Dyes to create fluorescent dyes?

Do I smell one of the most well-presented suggestions I've ever seen? Yep. I do.

Not only is this idea the kind of idea I love (making invisible or nontraditional lightsources is fun :3), there are very few suggestions I've seen that have smashed me in the face with presentation at fantastic as this.

I mean, it didn't actually smash me in the face. I was being figurative.

*cough*

Anyway, this would be very well suited for the wiring update, I feel, and it's just a really neat idea. Thumbs up from me.
Hahaha, thanks, I would really like this idea in the game, because it will make the buildings every time more beautiful and natural.

Hahaha, thanks, I would really like this idea in the game, because it will make the buildings every time more beautiful and natural.
Not to mention, imagine what could be done with naturally-generated structures. :D

Really, any addition that makes fiddling with lighting even easier is A-OK by me. Color is pretty much my specialty.

I made some alterations to the post, trying to correct some mistakes and improve things as of 1.3.0.8. (You should take a look at it, go on, I know you want it... Nothing impressive though)

----------------------------------------//----------------------------------------

Not to mention, imagine what could be done with naturally-generated structures. :D

Really, any addition that makes fiddling with lighting even easier is A-OK by me. Color is pretty much my specialty.
We will be able to do almost anything with the Photontizer, Liquid Dyer and Painting Buckets. I don't know if they can handle it to make naturally-generated structures, but if they can do it, there will clearly have more biomes(just the aesthetics though).

Daaayum. Massive kudos for your presentation!
Thank you, not that I deserve that much, I just want Terraria to be from an awesome well thought game to a fantastic building tool. Hahaha

Brill Idea... :)
Well, it took me some time to think about everything, and when Terraria 1.3 arrived I almost gave up of this idea. But let hope rise for 1.3.1, as this has mechanics involved. Not sure if it will be added though, really complex to make it, or just rebuilding almost the entire tile global.

Maybe combining two of the same dye allows you to make a light-changing dye xD Get drawing:p
Hahaha, actually the Photontizer and Liquid Dyer can have up to 4 colors, you just need to place it and you will have light-changing or liquid-color-changing just like it happens with demon torch and the disco ball. Maybe we can have more colors, but I don't know how to do it, so it's not a bad idea to have more than a dye color together.

Back
Top Bottom