PC Need help with my rainbow fountain

Aryore

Skeletron Prime
I'm trying to go for a specific pattern for my rainbow fountain, I got the left side how I wanted it but I have no idea how to recreate the effect for the right side.
fountain.png

You can see that the left side is all rainbow, but the right side is a plain waterfall. The block placement is exactly the same. Is there a certain order that you have to place the blocks or something?

I'm trying to go for a specific pattern for my rainbow fountain, I got the left side how I wanted it but I have no idea how to recreate the effect for the right side.
View attachment 168056
You can see that the left side is all rainbow, but the right side is a plain waterfall. The block placement is exactly the same. Is there a certain order that you have to place the blocks or something?
i'm pretty sure that the water on the bottom two levels on the right side are flowing from their own sections instead of from the section with the rainbow block. You can try reducing the water in the bottom two sections on the right side. if it doesnt work you can upload a world download and I can fix it for you.

Now, I can't help you with that, for which I am sorry (I think it's too many water sources. Try removing all but the one on top and just replace the removed ones with waterfall wall or smth), but I must ask - what is the white block below the fountain? I've seen it in so many adventure maps and I can't find it on the wiki

i'm pretty sure that the water on the bottom two levels on the right side are flowing from their own sections instead of from the section with the rainbow block. You can try reducing the water in the bottom two sections on the right side. if it doesnt work you can upload a world download and I can fix it for you.
Alright, I'll try that out and let you know how it goes.

Now, I can't help you with that, for which I am sorry (I think it's too many water sources. Try removing all but the one on top and just replace the removed ones with waterfall wall or smth), but I must ask - what is the white block below the fountain? I've seen it in so many adventure maps and I can't find it on the wiki
Ah that would be platinum brick under the fountain. I'll think about replacing the waterfalls, I'm just stubborn and want it to work :p

Yeah please do! i'm curious to know if it will work!
I've tried it out, put only half the water in. While it does "work", as in the blue water is no longer produced at all, it isn't exactly the effect I wanted, as the inner waterfalls don't fall either.
I did, however, discover something interesting while experimenting:
fountain2.png

As you can see, the top waterfall only takes priority when descending on the left, as compared to descending on the right. I wonder why?
If this is a hard and fast rule, I suppose I'll either have change the design, or just live with the asymmetry.

Last edited:
I've tried it out, put only half the water in. While it does "work", as in the blue water is no longer produced at all, it isn't exactly the effect I wanted, as the inner waterfalls don't fall either.
I did, however, discover something interesting while experimenting:
View attachment 168478
As you can see, the top waterfall only takes priority when descending on the left, as compared to descending on the right. I wonder why?
If this is a hard and fast rule, I suppose I'll either have change the design, or just live with the asymmetry.
That shouldn't be the case though! I've built many fountains and I've never had this issue before. I'll make an exact copy of yours on a new world and post a picture of it. I can even put up a world download so you can copy and paste it onto your world through TEdit.

That shouldn't be the case though! I've built many fountains and I've never had this issue before. I'll make an exact copy of yours on a new world and post a picture of it. I can even put up a world download so you can copy and paste it onto your world through TEdit.
That's so strange. Please do, I'd be curious to see what yours looks like!

@Aryore So I think you're right about the priority! no matter what I tried I could not get it to work with the original design. From what you said and what I saw, the priority of overlapping water is kinda weird... the right side takes priority and goes in front of the rainbow water but this isn't the case in all sections. I'll look into it more and if i find anything i'll let you know. Instead I altered the design in 3 different ways which can be seen below! feel free to use any of them and if you need any other help let me know! this was interesting and fun to investigate! :)
Capture 2017-05-02 19_11_47.png
Capture 2017-05-02 19_12_05.png
Capture 2017-05-02 19_12_21.png

For some reason, this forum won't let me upload a world download... The images don't really show the blocks on the end of the sections... hopefully it's alright!I'm trying to get a world uploaded on Curse for builds I help others with. If it gets approved i'll let you know.

What file type were you trying to upload? .wld files should be accepted by the forums. (Unless they're restricted to specific subforums, e.g. PC Bug Reports.)

If .wld files aren't accepted, you can put them in a ZIP archive and upload the .zip file instead.

Okay so i tried zipping it but it keeps telling me that the file size is too large. so what i've done is uploaded it on curse. here is the link:
https://mods.curse.com/maps/terraria/266686-jameelioo
This is the start of a new project. I'm gonna have a bunch of different design/build help guides on this world so if you need help with anything else please let me know :)

@Jameelioo Ah unfortunately the .wld file didn't work for me, the load failed. I like your suggested designs, though, I might steal some of the ideas :p thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom