Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, with modification

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Doanage

Terrarian
This is an idea that was once implemented in one of my favorite old-school MMORPGs--Ultima Online. I think this addition would make Terraria a massively more enjoyable experience, as for me travel-time has never been a game-enhancing feature in any game--Terraria included. (I say this as someone who loves Terraria and has "enjoyed" hundreds of hours of my life playing it. When you spend this much time with a game you love, you can't help but notice all the room for improvement as well.)

Anyway, the idea is simply this: Similar to how a player can set a "spawn point" and "recall" to it using a bed and potions or mirrors, it would also be possible to "enchant" a certain type of item (call it a "rune") to link to any arbitrary location in the world, and then recall/teleport to that point using another item (call it a "rune book") on the enchanted rune. Obviously we already have teleport pads, which are great, but it's quite tedious and time-consuming to build the wiring for these things over any large distance--particularly through the underground--and they aren't exactly convenient to use.

------------In More Detail----------------
To make this system very intuitive and user-friendly it would require some additional interface coding (nothing too complex), but I'd envision it kinda like this:

-----Runes----------------
In-game, there will be items called "runes" (perhaps sold by the wizard). Runes will correspond to locations in the world in a one-to-one mapping, and they are blank by default but may be "enchanted" by the player to "remember" the location where there rune was enchanted. Blank runes will stack, enchanted runes will not. To enchant a rune, the player equips it to a slot in the hot bar and uses it (perhaps consuming mana and/or reagents in the process). That rune will now correspond to the point where the player character is currently standing. After being enchanted, the game will auto-label the rune with a time-stamp and pair of coordinates corresponding to the time and location of enchanting (mainly just to give it a unique name for player convenience). This rune does nothing on its own, which brings us to the second part.

-----Rune Books---------
A "rune book" will be an equipable accessory with it's own unique slot (similar to pets, mounts, the hook, etc...), and its own associated hotkey. Rune books will be linked to a separate list in the inventory (similar to coins or ammo) that will be faded-out unless a rune-book is equipped. In the slots of this list a player may place enchanted runes, and may also enter labels for the slots containing runes (Ex: "Sky Lake" or "Underworld, east edge"). Upon pressing the "rune book hotkey," the list of populated rune slots will pop up, and the player may click on one of them to "recall" to the location associated with the rune.

--------------------------------------------

------------Final Thoughts----------------
Clearly there are many different ways to implement a system similar to this--some better than others--and clearly this might have some impact on game balance as players would undoubtedly try to "exploit" the system in various ways. Regardless, this was just a primer to get the conversation started. One nice thing about a "rune" and "rune book" system is that it would easily allow for equipment upgrades that could be fun to pursue. For instance, better runes and/or rune books might enhance things like: number of rune slots available, number of times per day rune recall could be used, the speed and/or costs of enchanting or recalling, types of biomes that may be marked for recall, mitigation of a debuff like "teleportation sickness", ability to recall during a boss fight, ability to recall to other worlds (if the game gets expanded in a way that would allow this), etc...

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts. Like/Dislike? Any glaring issues I've overlooked?

Last edited:
I've read this thing twice and I still have no idea what you're suggesting. You presume too much in your presentation, and need to elaborate on the purpose of these mechanisms.

I've read this thing twice and I still have no idea what you're suggesting. You presume too much in your presentation, and need to elaborate on the purpose of these mechanisms.

I agree, I think I could have stated this more clearly. Anyway, the purpose of the mechanism is to provide a convenient way to get around the world through teleportation.

You mark an item (a "rune") while standing in a particular spot, and then later using the rune, you can teleport back to that spot. The point of the "rune book" is purely to help organize a lot of different runes to different locations. Basically, think of this as like using teleport potions, except instead of teleporting you randomly somewhere, the potions would teleport you to previous destinations that you've "marked". In my suggestion, I'm saying that I think the "marking" should be done using runes that you carry around with you, and the runes themselves "remember" the location at where they were marked. However, it could also be implemented by placing an object at the location (similar to a bed and recall potions/mirrors). Regardless, the point is to make travel less tedious. I've often wished I could place multiple "beds" in different locations and key a mirror to each different bed. This would be like that, just more stream-lined with a built-in system for organizing the locations (i.e. the "rune book").

Make sense now?

Reactions: Bry
I agree, I think I could have stated this more clearly. Anyway, the purpose of the mechanism is to provide a convenient way to get around the world through teleportation.

You mark an item (a "rune") while standing in a particular spot, and then later using the rune, you can teleport back to that spot. The point of the "rune book" is purely to help organize a lot of different runes to different locations. Basically, think of this as like using teleport potions, except in stead of teleporting you randomly somewhere, the potions would teleport you to previous destinations that you've "marked". In my suggestion, I'm saying that I think the marking should be done using runes that you carry around with you, and the runes themselves "remember" the location at where they were marked. However, it could also be implemented by placing an object at the location (like with a bed and recall potions). Regardless, the point is to make travel less tedious. I've often wished I could place multiple "beds" in different locations and key a mirror to each different bed. This would be like that, just more stream-lined with a built-in system for organizing the locations (i.e. the "rune book").

Make sense now?
It's a good idea, but frankly I think teleporters combined with the Grand Design already serve this purpose.

It's a good idea, but frankly I think teleporters combined with the Grand Design already serve this purpose.

They do, but not without a great deal of tedious work, and you still have to travel to the telepads themsevles rather than just using an item from your inventory, and the telepads aren't inherently labeled unless you go to a lot of extra tedium to set signs or markers next to each one. (I've gone to this level of tedium in several of my own worlds, but in the end rather than feeling triumphant, it felt like wasted time. The reward just isn't worth the time investment to me--nor, I suspect, to most players.)

Last edited:
Eh...I don't mind actually working...and by working I mean spending 5 minutes going to optimal locations... to get an INSTANT teleport there for the rest of my days to look forward to.
I could set up teleports for:
Hell
Dungeon
Ocean opposite of Dungeon
Lizhard Temple

In like 30 mins max, after that you never have to walk again, so it's a fair trade...put in the work...you get a reward...

Runes and stuff sounds like a mod.

Eh...I don't mind actually working...and by working I mean spending 5 minutes going to optimal locations... to get an INSTANT teleport there for the rest of my days to look forward to.
I could set up teleports for:
Hell
Dungeon
Ocean opposite of Dungeon
Lizhard Temple

In like 30 mins max, after that you never have to walk again, so it's a fair trade...put in the work...you get a reward...

Runes and stuff sounds like a mod.

Those are my common teleport locations as well--in addition to a skylake for fishing, and a honey lake, and usually a couple others. (When I can persuade myself that it's worth the time, which is hard to do these days--especially for fishing.)

However, even for just the ones that you mentioned: If you think you can do that in 30 minutes, I'd encourage you to get a timer and go try it (I have). I think you'll be very surprised. Granted, world size makes a difference, and I prefer playing on large worlds (not much point doing this for medium or small worlds). On a typical large world, to create teleports to Hell, the Dungeon, the opposite ocean, and the Lizhard Temple, it would take me a couple of hours. That's for one map, for one playthrough. (I prefer expert, hardcore, and if I die I restart with a brand new map and character.) To do this with every character on every playthrough--even if you enjoy spending 2 hours laying wire the first time, I'm pretty sure the novelty will wear off after that. The need for this will grow even greater if Re-Logic expands biome variety and world sizes in the future. (Which I really hope they do.)

There's a fine line between rewarding in-game work, and work that is just work. In my opinion, the sort of work that you put in just to remove the annoyance of needing to waste 2 to 4 minutes traveling to a distant location is the latter. Obviously this is all just personal preference, and we may have very different perspectives. For instance, if I were a kid in high school or younger I might be happy to spend 2 hours setting up teleports. However, I already ignore most games based on the enjoyment/time ratio, and Terraria has to compete with everything else. It's a little depressing. A lot of the games I loved as a kid are games I would never in a million years play today. They just take too much time. I avoid MMORPGs now for this very reason, and Terraria is right on the edge. It has so many fun things going for it that it just barely persuades me that it's worth the time, but it could be much better on that front. Anyway, I don't know about you, but something like this would make a huge difference to me. Time is precious. I'd rather not waste it laying wire or hiking through video-game terrain.

If you think you can do that in 30 minutes, I'd encourage you to get a timer and go try it (I have). I think you'll be very surprised. Granted, world size makes a difference, and I prefer playing on large worlds (not much point doing this for medium or small worlds). On a typical large world, to create teleports to Hell, the Dungeon, the opposite ocean, and the Lizhard Temple, it would take me a couple of hours.

Well, by the time I decide to do this, I already usually make a Minecart rail in the sky and already have a Mechanical Minecart, so...yeah I'd say it's about right.

As for Hell/getting to the Temple, I always make a 2-wide hole and ALWAYS make sure I have Slime Mount in my inventory so I can fall faster of course.

So yeah, 30 mins is pretty close. I'd happily time it for you personally if you wish :3

I am a man that is very lazy in terms of wirey (is that how you spell it?), so I support this idea

I'd happily time it for you personally if you wish :3

I'd love that. The timer starts upon digging the first block or laying the first piece (switch, teleporter, wire, or track) and ends when the final piece is placed. Please include any digging or track-laying that assists in the process, and please upload your video to youtube. ;3

If you can do it in 35 minutes or less with a video proving it, I will personally wire you $100 for your trouble. Seriously.

Note: You must use a large world, but any equipment you want to use is fair game. Normally I'd be almost to hard mode items by the time I really want the teleportation, but I see no need to include that in the requirements. And of course, users on non-pc platforms wouldn't have The Grand Design available, but whatever. :)

Last edited:
I'd love that. The timer starts upon digging the first block or laying the first piece (switch, teleporter, wire, or track) and ends when the final piece is placed. Please include any digging or track-laying that assists in the process, and please upload your video to youtube. ;3

If you can do it in 35 minutes or less with a video proving it, I will personally wire you $100 for your trouble. Seriously.

-Z snap- Okay there xD, well that obviously is not possible. Like I clearly said before,
Well, by the time I decide to do this, I already usually make a Minecart rail in the sky and already have a Mechanical Minecart
As for Hell/getting to the Temple, I always make a 2-wide hole and ALWAYS make sure I have Slime Mount in my inventory so I can fall faster of course.

So no, the timer wouldn't start when I start digging the hole, because as I clearly said before, it's already dug, the rail is already placed, I like to plan ahead for these sorts of things. It would OBVIOUSLY take MUCH more than 35 minutes to do that without any preparation.

Mmm you have me curious though I might still try it your way though hehe

EDIT: This might sound really unbelievable but as I was trying to dig down to hell in the first couple minutes I died in lava thinking I could survive, I was also carrying all the money I needed to buy wires so. Yeah xD. I'm sad I'm out of money now, I totally think I could do it, I got the hell portal finished in 4 minutes while taking my time and got to the jungle near the temple in around 2.5 minutes whilst again taking my time then just returning home to end the video cause I check my piggy bank and I'm dry on cash. ;(

^ And that is WITHOUT the 2-wide hole I WOULD HAVE ALREADY MADE and RAIL I would have by now.
Also note to make it a little more fair I'm only using the Unicorn Mount (Instead of my Scutlix mount) and Fin Wings instead of my Stardust Wings.

Last edited:
Lol. I didn't miss what you said about the minecart rail or the hole. I included them in the requirements because if they're necessary for doing it in 30 minutes then they have to be part of the process. I mean, if creating optimal teleports quickly requires building time-consuming infrastructure in addition to the teleports themselves, it's hardly support for the argument that it doesn't take much time, is it? Personally I never build minecart rails, and I rarely make helevators (I prefer duplicated teleport potions using the multiplayer glitch lol). This similar laziness probably applies in varying degrees to most other players who would enjoy the convenience of teleport runes.

That said, you could make a legit argument that at least one hellevator is a guaranteed necessity for any player (my avoidance of it relies on a glitch exploitation, after all), so I won't complain if you use one free hellevator. However, any others, like the minecart track, would have to be included in the time.

Anyway, you sound pretty confident. If you can really do it, I'm dead serious about sending you $100. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom